It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Doc says everything is normal, but I still feel lousy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User
    Doc says everything is normal, but I still feel lousy

Several years back, I went to my doc complaining of extreme fatigue and various other symptoms. He did a thyroid test, and it came back showing that I was on the very low-end of normal range. He felt that I would benefit from a low dosage of Levoxyl. I've been on .75mcg ever since, and have had yearly tests to monitor my thyroid levels.

Roughly 2 months ago, I started feeling lousy - extreme fatigue, brain fog, mild dizziness, weight gain, blurred vision, bouts of constipation/diarrhea, body aches, just to name a few. Went back to my doc and requested another thyroid test (hadn't been tested since Jan 07). Test results were:

T-4 Free 1.2 (range 0.8-1.8)
    TSH, 3rd generation 1.12 (range 0.40-4.50)

My doc said that even though everything looks normal, he wanted to up my dosage to .88mcg to see if I felt a difference in my symptoms, particularly the fatigue. I took the higher dose for 30 days, and was tested again. The results were:

T-4 Free 1.2 (range 0.8-1.8) no change
    TSH, 3rd generation 0.76 (range 0.40-4.50) slightly lower

Once again, everything checks out "normal", but I still feel like crap. I asked my doc about doing an antibody test for Hashi's, but he feels it's not necessary. He says that even if we did do the test, and it did come back positive for the antibodies...the treatment would be exactly the same as I'm already on - the .88mcg of Levoxyl. Does this sound right? Should I keep pushing for the antibody test? Or is my doc right, in saying that it's not needed since the end result would be the same treatment plan?

What else could possibly be causing me to feel like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Doc says everything is normal, but I still feel lousy

Insist on Hashimoto's testing. Also insist on T3 testing. Given the TSH level decrease with out an increase in T4 range percentage.. I am suspecting you are overconverting T4 to T3 as a result of hypoadrenalism.. probably mild in form. This will show up in a deviation of your Ft4 and Ft3 levels. Look at my most recent thyroid care anc concerns thread and adrenal issues.. I think it is the third or fourth megapost of the thread and on the second page.. it goes into the details of adrenal effects on thyroid levels.

In any case your Ft4 level is holding at 40% of normal range. This is just suboptimal in range for a menopausal female. For a female that is of childbearing years.. this is 20% below optimal range and can explain why you are having the mental hypoT symptoms. I believe that your supplementation and treatment regime is off. if this MD is not will ing to thoroughly test your issues when you have symptoms.. you need to ditch thee dud and look for a new and improved MD select.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 11-05-2008 at 09:18 PM.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User

Thank you for your insight, MG...you're very informative! I'm going to ask for an endo referral. There is one thing I wanted to double-check with you. In your reply to me, you stated "Also insist on T3 testing. Given the TSH level increase with out an increase in T4 range percentage.. I am suspecting you are overconverting T4 to T3 as a result of hypoadrenalism.. probably mild in form."....actually, my TSH decreased. On the 1st test, it was 1.12...and on the 2nd test, taken a month later, it was 0.76. Given that fact, would your quote above regarding this still apply? I just want to make sure I clearly understood everything you wrote. Oh, one more thing...yesterday I got results of a fasting CBC that was done on Monday...my cholesterol is 204 (yikes)...up from 192 the last time I was tested. Could there be a link here? Thanks!

Linda

Old 11-05-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

That is what I ment. I typed to fast and was thinking increasing T3 and transposed it to TSH. For clarification... Your T3 levels are most likely increasing as a result of adrenal dysfunction causing an increase in the imbalance between your T4 and T3 levels. T3 has a four fold suppression effect on TSH. Thus a jump in T3 will cause a drop in TSH quicker than a jump in T4. In your case your T4 is steady and you do not know what your T3 is doing, but you know your TSH is dropping.. SO by inference you can assume that the T3 levels are going up. You will not know your balance unless you get that FT4 and Ft3 run together.

As to cholesterol, there is a link between adrenal dysfunction and cholesterol. Cholesterol is the starting block that the adrenals use to make EVERYTHING. If you are hypoadrenal or adrenal fatigued and then your adrenals are not using cholesterol at a sufficient rate and build up can occur due to regular diet. Look at my latest thread. Thyroid care and concerns - Endocrine Balance Issues. On the second page I discuss adrenal issues with regard to thyroid and general effects.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 11-05-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Closed Thread