It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• can having hypothyrodism cause ovulation to stop and a high fsh level

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-06-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
    zez
    (female)

zez HB User
    can having hypothyrodism cause ovulation to stop and a high fsh level

Hi
    I have been thorugh a traumatic time for the last year or so.
    I have been ttc for over a year without success and after experiencing no periods at times sometimes going 3 and 5 months and then getting a high fsh diagnosis of 62 I was distraught.
    My tsh after a year as only just about come into range at 2.5 before that my doctor had problems fidning the correct dose for me.
    It appears that now my tsh is for once more or less in range that my periods are starting to regulate to a normal pattern and a recent day 21 progesterone test showed that I had ovulated where as previous tests showed that I hadn,t.
    Could after all of this time the thyroid being underactive have caused me to not have manged to concieve and caused ovulation to stop and also the high fsh.
    I do wonder about it it has been quite traumatic as I was put under investigation as to whether I was having early menopause or premature ovarian failure.
    Just wondering if anybody on here has experienced or been in a similar situation who can maybe confirm my thoughts on this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: can having hypothyrodism cause ovulation to stop and a high fsh level

Yes it can. you need thorough thyroid and adrenal testing. You also should undergo testing for PCOS, hypoglycemia and insulin resistance. When the ovaries are hit as hard as your it is often an combination of multipie issues or one that is very advanced.

Is your MD onlylooking at your TSH? you need thorough thyroid testing and at a TSH of 1.5 I needed and got thyroid supplementation. At 2.5 given you symptoms if adrenal issues are rulled out you could benefit for thryoid supplementation as well.

The thyroid panel you need run is
    sTSH/3rd Gen TSH
    Free T3
    Free T4
    TPOAb
    TGAb
    Adrenal/PCOs
    Cholesterol/trigylcerides
    Fasting insulin
    GTT
    Fasting 8am blood serum draws for the following 13-16 days after onset of mensus.
    ACTH
    Cortisol
    DHEA
    Progesterone
    Testosterone
    Estrogen
    Pregnenolone
    Aldosterone

Humm.. I think I got them all. I will have to go back and check my labs for sure.. but that covers the basis. GOod luck.

MG

Closed Thread