It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Do vitamins (or lack of) change thyroid?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
    hearts4ever
    (female)

hearts4ever HB User
    Do vitamins (or lack of) change thyroid?

I have been on synthroid for 14 years. I've never had a problem with "regulating" my levels until this past February. Apparently, I "picked up" a parasite, while we were vacationing in Dominican. It took the doctors almost 3 months to diagnose me, after putting me through many tests. It ended up knocking my thyroid levels way out. Since that point, I have been having a tough time getting my thyroid stable again. Because of the parasite, I was having severe abdominal issues...so I stopped drinking milk & taking multi-vitamins, etc. I have been leary of starting back on the milk & vitamins, because they bothered my stomach alot. Does anyone know if my decreased calcium & other vitamin intake, would affect my thyroid? I've also been dealing with feelings of anxiety, increased heart rate & feeling my heart beat hard & general lethargy. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Do vitamins (or lack of) change thyroid?

Diet and vitamins don't have much effect on thyroid disease. Major illness can knock it for a real loop, though. It sounds as if that's where you are. The main thing is to get the right levels tested, to get printed copies of all lab results, and to learn the basics of how to read them. We thyroid patients know that not all MDs can be trusted to use the right tests or to prescribe the right dosage.
    Sorry, I can't offer much more than that.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
    cutejenny77
    (female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Hi, hearts4forever,

I think the minerals will affect thyroid more than vitamins. It is said that iron will have an effect on hypoT. You said you had to re-adjust your thyroid hormone levels after stopping taking multivitamins?

Last edited by cutejenny77; 11-07-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Jenny's point about minerals is valid, so I should backtrack somewhat.

Lack of calcium would have zero effect on thyroid gland production of hormone. Neither is iron involved in hormone production. Other things, of course could affect it ... among them deficient iodine and/or selenium, which are raw materials needed directly for the production of thyroid hormone. Excessive intake of goitrogenic foods inhibits thyroid production. These are unusual causes - some say "rare" causes - of hypothyroidism in North America and most other parts of the industrialized world. In those places, autoimmune thyroid disease is far and away the most common cause of hypoT ... and in those cases, diet can't take as much blame for low thyroid levels as the damage the antibodies have caused does.

In your case, hearts4ever, because you were taking Synthroid for so many years before the current instability, it's almost a given that your own gland stopped producing hormone years ago; and because you were stable for many years previous to your parasitic illness, it seems clear that the illness is the most likely reason for the thyroid instability. I feel confident in saying it has little or nothing to do with your elimination of milk and vitamins from your diet.

Last edited by midwest1; 11-07-2008 at 10:07 PM.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
    hearts4ever
    (female)

hearts4ever HB User

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll just keep praying that eventually my thyroid levels will stabilize again...and just try to continue on with a healthy lifestyle...hopefully that will all help!

Old 11-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Hearts-MG wrote in a thread that iron is utilized in the conversion of T4 to T3, I believe. And, also mentioned that many with hypothyroid lack proper stomach acid for absorption of iron , thus many of us are low in iron stores, ferritin. If you check back on some of MG's messages and search for ferritin you should find this. So, lack of iron may in fact have an effect on thyroid functioning, if I understood correctly what she wrote.
    Also, if you are low in ferritin or have anemia and need to supplement with iron, you will find that it will throw off your tsh level and you will most likely need to raise your dose of synthroid while on iron supplementation.This stuff gets pretty complicated!
    In Thyroid for Dummies , Dr. Rubin also list B6 pyridoxine among the drugs that decrease your tsh.

Last edited by osteoblast; 11-09-2008 at 09:10 PM.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:52 AM   #7
    cutejenny77
    (female)

cutejenny77 HB User

I don't remember Magnesium/Calcium aids to conversion? or the rich iodine diet plays a role, too!

I drink mineral water which contains Mg/Ca for a period of time, and now my FT3 is at the same level as FT4. I think my conversion to FT3 is active!

Last edited by cutejenny77; 11-10-2008 at 12:54 AM.

Closed Thread