It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Excess Estrogen

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Excess Estrogen

Prior to being medicated for my thyroid, my doctor checked my adrenals and my hormones via a saliva test. After being on medication for 6mths he retested my estrogen, which had been excessive, and this time it was tested via collecting first urine of the morning between days 18 and 25 of my cycle.

This urine test revealed that my estrogen was still excessive and my doctor told me that my system is not metabolising the bad excess estrogen and turning it into good estrogen, therefore leaving me possibly open as a female to breast cancer and certain other cancers. For a male in this situation it would leave them more prone to prostate cancer.

My doctor has put me on Diindolylmethane (DIM for short) as this apprently has been successful in doing the job which for some reason my system has problems doing.

In my reading i have come across one statement which more or less connected thyroid issues to having an excess of too much of this 'bad' estrogen which hasn't been metabolised. Our bodies are apparently supposed to excrete excess estrogen if our liver detox system is running effectively, of which mine isn't. Tests showed that my phase 1 liver detox is fine, but not phase 2, which wraps up all the bad guys and sends them on their way.

I was wondering whether other people's doctors test and retest their estrogen and whether anybody else has been put on DIM. My doctor is male and he too has Hashi's, has to keep taking iron supplements, vitamin D and his estrogen is a bit high too and he takes DIM.

When i was first diagnosed with Hashimoto's i thought it would be all clear cut and simple. I'm realising more and more how complex this disease is and how widely it affects things.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
    kindspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
    Re: Excess Estrogen

Hi Audrey, I'm in a similar situation, high estradiol. My endo gave a short explanation like yours did about the liver. I'm without "parts", hysterectomy 25yrs ago, so estrogen excess is weird! He brushed it off...went to my pcp and she ordered a ct scan, fearing adrenal tumor, all ok there. My endo even tried to give me a script for estrogen! to help my insomnia, I refused!
    I'm now seeing a holistic dr, who ran more labs, cortisol and dhea. My dhea was very low and now on supp's 25mg dhea. I'm hoping the "balance" will counteract the estrogen? I've been on the dhea 5 days and sleeping better! anxiety is a tad better, more energy, so hoping things are balancing more? Have you had dhea testing? my endo refused any further adrenal testing so had to resort to holistic for help. I've read that dhea effects all the hormones and worried about increasing estrogen, but further study reveals it can in fact decrease if things aren't converting properly? even helping progesteron indirectly... I also have Hashi's and it says dhea helps autoimmune issues, arthritis etc. keeping my fingers crossed?
    Hysterectomy

Old 11-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: Excess Estrogen

Hi Kindspirit - yes i recall your story and did find the high estrogen weird considering you had had the hysterectomy. From the things i've read and found out since being diagnosed with the hashi's, i don't think everybody ends up with no/barely any estrogen after menopause or a hysterectomy, it just doesn't make sense, condisering the adrenals alone produce estrogen.

As i said in my opening post, my doctor though that after being on thyroid and adrenal meds that things would sort themselves out. Seeing my estrogen was still high after 6 months of meds he went straight to the Diindolylmethand (DIM) to help metabolise the excess estrogen. I'll be on this for i think 4 or so months and then i guess we'll retest just to see whether there are changes. I'll definitely post my results here when that happens so you will know whether the DIM has helped. I looked it up on the net and it seems to be a fairly accepted supplement in treating excess estrogen in both males and females. It was a very interesting read.

Yes, my DHEA's were checked prior to starting thyroid meds. From memory things are okay with them as the main 2 areas my doctor mentioned back then were my estrogen, testosteron and cortisol.

I'm supposed to take Glycine for my liver function each night, but a lot of the time i fogret. A friend of mine was told by her naturopath that Glycine isn't strong enough to help with the liver detox and said certain herbs would be better.

Aside from my thyroid and adrenals, my doctor says that a lot of people have liver detox issues as well as digestive issues. He feels these two area are the underlying causes of a lot of other things eg: constant low/difficult to raise ferretin, low Vit D, Gluten intolerance, allergies, arthritis among other things.

If the DHEA is helping you and you have seen results so quick that is wonderful. Nothing worse than not being able to get a decent night's sleep.

Sorry to hear your Endo refused further testing. I think a lot of doctors out there either have a cold heart or have no idea what they are doing or dealing with. There is so much evidence to show that so many hashi's sufferers in particular have a lot of the same issues. Speaking of same issues, have you ever had a gluten inolerance test? A lot of people with thyroid isses are also intolerant to gluten and they wont necessarily have any side effects, yet will suffer from other illnesses, yet if gluten is totally excluded for a period of time they feel their lives have been turned around for the better.

Yep, fingers crossed and hoping for the best

Closed Thread