It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• How long for Synthyroid to help symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
    Dawn80
    (female)

Dawn80 HB User
    Question How long for Synthyroid to help symptoms?

I have been on Synthyroid for about three months, I've noticed huge improvement in myself physically. I don't have to take a nap anymore and I'm not tired! I'm able to exercise without getting tired like before but mentally I still have a lot of anxiety and I'm just wondering if this is thyroid related or a separate issue? I'm also wondering how long I should give the Synthyroid to work? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2008, 06:12 AM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: How long for Synthyroid to help symptoms?

If you had anxiety before medication it could be last HypoT symptom you have left. I know anxiety is one of the first symptoms that I get when I go in the HypoT direction (the first is "lacking oxygen" which probably causes the anxiety). If you have been on this dose for the whole 3 months and it still hasn't gone away it could be that a) it's not a HypoT symptom or b) your dose is a tiny bit too small for You. What have your labs said and when were they last taken?

Last edited by FinnMaid; 11-09-2008 at 06:12 AM.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
    Dawn80
    (female)

Dawn80 HB User

Anxiety was the first symptom I noticed and it's weird what you said about the lacking of oxygen. That was the first symptom that made me think something was wrong. I felt like I couldn't get a deep breath, then it developed into bad anxiety and feeling tired. So I wonder too since the anxiety was the first symptom I noticed if it will be the last to go. I am on 25 mcg of Synthroid M-F but on the weekend I'm told to take 50 mcg. I'm not sure what my last labs were but I know before that my FT4 was 1.2. Thanks for the reply!

Last edited by Dawn80; 11-09-2008 at 08:46 AM.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Oh I SO know what you're feeling I had that for over 10 years - I had to take "anger and anxiety walks" outdoors to stay somewhat sane
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dawn80 View Post
    I am on 25 mcg of Synthroid M-F but on the weekend I'm told to take 50 mcg. I'm not sure what my last labs were but I know before that my FT4 was 1.2.
    Don't know your ranges but 1.2 sounds a bit low Were you told to increase the dose after those labs? Wonder if the increase is enough - 25 mcgs (and 50 on weekends) is a low dose - it's not even a "real dose", I believe it's very rare that it would be enough in the long run.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 11-09-2008 at 10:24 AM.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
    Dawn80
    (female)

Dawn80 HB User

After the 1.2 labs, I was told to increase to the 50 on the weekends, before that I was just taking the 25. I wonder if I shouldn't be on 50 all the time? The doctor said to stick with this dose for six months and then we'd check again. I've been on the new dose for about six weeks and I just had labs done again. I need to find out what those are.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #6
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dawn80 View Post
    I wonder if I shouldn't be on 50 all the time? I've been on the new dose for about six weeks and I just had labs done again. I need to find out what those are.
    Sounds to me that you should take it every day - but your labs will tell you more. Good thing your levels are checked this frequently. Also ask which ranges your lab uses so you can compare your levels to that specific reference range.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 11-09-2008 at 10:09 PM.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:23 AM   #7
    Dawn80
    (female)

Dawn80 HB User

Thanks for the information

Closed Thread