It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Levoxyl side effects.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
    kittyroo
    Veteran
    (female)

kittyroo HB User
    Levoxyl side effects.....

Anybody else have HORRIBLE insomnia? I feel like I'm cracking up over here. I don't have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep, I just don't sleep. Period. You all should SEE the bags under my eyes.

Is this thyroid related or just from the Levoxyl? Any thoughts??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
    kwebster
    (female)

kwebster HB User
    Re: Levoxyl side effects.....

How much are you on. I've had my fun with levoxyl and finally after a year and a half have found the right dosage. there have been a few occasions where I can't sleep or feel like I'm climbing the walls. I just back off the meds for either 1 or 2 days and give it a rest.

It sounds like you may be on too much levoxyl.

take care!
    kathy

Old 11-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

Kittyroo,
    Yep, have that terrible insomnia too- off and on... but more on than off.
    Just lay and watch the ceiling fan go round and round. Horrible isn't it!!! I am just starting synthyroid, so unsure if its the thyroid issue, or menopause for me.
    I try taking magnesium, calcium at night.. if its been a few looooooooong nights I take melatonin... sometimes it works, sometimes not!!!
    Good luck and sweet dreams!

Old 11-11-2008, 05:23 AM   #4
    calail
    (female)

calail HB User

well, i have had horrible insomnia for about a year. prior to that, i just had to think about sleep and i was snoozin. since starting levoxyl about a month ago, the only thyroid symptom that has been relieved is the insomniia. i can finally sleep again! but, the meds aren't right as everything else is still AWFUL. so, maybe once my meds are corrected i won't sleep again... to the point: i think insomnia is common with hypothyroidism. i don't know the affects of meds on insomnia, but it seems to have made it better for me, short term.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
    kindspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

Did the insomnia only start when you got on t meds? maybe they started you too high of a dose? Prior to my diagnosis, suffered over 20yrs with insomnia. Still do, but not nearly as bad once my t meds got up high enough. I still have the "arsenol" of remedies sitting by my bed, it stinks! some nights I can fall asleep watching tv in my chair and others no way will sleep come. If there is anything on my mind, forget it! I still wake up on target, 1 am, every night! weird. Some things work, like tylonel pm, remeron, 5-htp, but when I'm so wound up nothing works. Some herbal supps made it worse! too much vit b and c seems to make it worse, rhodiola rosea forget it, great for daytime energy but not for all night! I'm now on dhea, testing showed very low levels and hoping things balance out? Be careful of benzo sleep meds, but if you don't break the cycle with something you may need a short term dose. Just don't take them more than once a week, very addicting. For me, dalmane works wonders, but went thru horrid withdrawal yrs ago. Now its only for those emergency episodes. I feel your anguish.
    Hysterectomy

Old 11-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
    kittyroo
    Veteran
    (female)

kittyroo HB User

I am only on 50 mcg's of Levoxyl. I didn't think that was all that much. I will be on more as my thyroid comes to regulation. I was only dx'd in April, so I'm still getting my blood work and numbers in order.

I didn't know that too much might make a person have insomnia issues. I've always had it to a degree, but it's never been this bad. Back in the day I used to take Benedryl and it worked great, but not anymore. It just doesn't work anymore. My internist wanted to give me Ambian or Lunesta, but I need to get hooked on those like I need a hole in the head so I declined. I want to know WHY I don't sleep, not which meds I could become dependent upon, you know? Very frustrating. And tiring.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
    maryanne47
    (female)

maryanne47 HB User

I am also on Levoxyl, 50mcg but I take 1/2 of 50mcg for six days and then off on the 7th and then resume. I wake up almost every hour. I have also started experiencing painful leg cramps. I have a call into my doctor. On the days when I do not take Levoxyl I have no symptoms and I sleep thru the night.

maryanne 47

Closed Thread