It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Vitamin C with HypoT meds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Vitamin C with HypoT meds

Has any of you tried this? Read about the research on this and decided to try it out - I felt like my meds weren't working for me as they should (still often tired and always a bit bloated).

I started my experiment in August when I had several weeks before increased the dose again with little luck. Had my labs taken a bit later and they were showing clear HyperT (in theory) but I hadn't noticed anything until a couple of days later when I started to feel hot and my heart started racing. So I reduced the dose to the same level as it had been for a good while and it started to feel ok after a few weeks (the dose reduction first gave me HypoT symptoms).

Then to my surprise I started to feel HyperT symptoms just last week - I had felt "strong" and hadn't had my usual "foggy days" for a couple of weeks but then I felt hot again and my pulse was going +90 .

So I had to reduce the dose again (cut back on both T4 and T3 for a speedy recovery which I seem to have gotten) - now I'm raising it back up a bit so that I'd find some balance again.

What I am really wondering has anyone tried Vitamin C with their meds with good (or too good) results? We have a little group experimenting this and I know that one member's thyroid levels have improved significantly over this "trial period". I did start taking my Omega3's again about the same time as the Vitamin C (stupid me ) so that may have had an effect on this too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Vitamin C with HypoT meds

When you say C "with" thyroid meds, do you mean together at the same time, or at separate times of day?

Interesting you ask about this now ... I have been taking a mega-dose of C (2g) a day since early September as a self-treatment for ITP. I take it before my breakfast, which is an hour after my Armour. I haven't noticed any difference at all in the way I feel thyroid-wise. I also began taking fish oil again in August, after a lull of several months. Haven't noticed any thyroid difference there, either.

So... please explain just what effect the C is supposed to have, thyroid-wise.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Just assuming you've all already heard of this - over here it made to at least one of our national evening papers (so it must be big since HypoT isn't often even considered an illness )

I mean Vitamin C at the same time as your thyroid meds. I've been taking a 500 mg pill with my morning meds after I read about a study that was done about this. It's based on the theory that the acidity of Vitamin C would help levothyroxine to absorb - you can find it online (try "levothyroxine absorption vitamin C"). The study group used 1000 mg of these tablets that dilute in water with their morning dose of levothyroxine and a significant drops in TSH were discovered - therefore it was deduced that the Vitamin C helps the absorption of levothyroxine (why not other thyroid meds too).

Last edited by FinnMaid; 11-23-2008 at 04:18 AM.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:25 AM   #4
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

After decreasing my doses to 200 mcgs of T4 and 20 mcgs of T3 I've upped my doses again to 212,5 mcgs of T4 and 30 mcgs of T3 - and I now find myself on the HypoT side again I cannot believe that the 12,5 mcgs would have that effect on me - making me go from HyperT to HypoT - so I guess this was not because of the vit C experiment (which I'm still continuing) if I have to increase my doses back to their original levels (225 mcgs of T4 and 30 of T3).

Last edited by FinnMaid; 11-23-2008 at 04:39 AM.

Closed Thread