It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Weird Naturopath Treatment of Hashi's Antibodies-What do you think?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Weird Naturopath Treatment of Hashi's Antibodies-What do you think?

While I am maintaining my md's that are treating me, I thought I would have a naturopath review my supplements and ask her about anxiety treatments.
    Maybe I just should have seen a nutritionist....
    She said for my high TPO Antibodies around 1000 that she would "order" a test tube vial with TPO Antibodies in it. That I would hold this vial in my hand while I used accupressure point therapy on myself and that this could reduce my TPO antibodies. What is your reaction to this approach????
    Mine--Of course I did not want to insult her. I just stated that as my funds are limited, and that I was dubious about this approach that she did not need to order the vial of TPO antibodies for me. That I would just like her to concentrate on analyzing my supplements that I am taking and to give me her comments.
    To me this seems absurd and makes me really wonder about where she is coming from. I like doctors who base their treatment on evidence . What they call Evidence Based Medicine. I like that naturopaths treat the whole person , and do believe they have some knowledge .....but I think my experiment into this area was not worthwhile. I think perhaps wholistic m.d. and nutritionist would be better.
    Do you folks have the same take on this as I did??

The following user gives a hug of support to osteoblast:
    rocksand (08-16-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
    Chowz
    (female)

Chowz HB User
    Re: Weird Naturopath Treatment of Hashi's Antibodies-What do you think?

Sounds pretty far out there to me.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

Oh my God! I would have burst out laughing in her face!! That's a little crazy,don't ya think?

Old 11-13-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

There's a reason so few naturopaths are licensed by the state.

That said, it's all a matter of what one is willing to believe. Some people believe so strongly, they get better no matter how absurd the "treatment". On the flip side, there are a whoooole lot more folks taking a whoooole lot more allopathic drugs and not getting any better at all. Who's to say which is the more ridiculous "treatment"?

Old 11-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Really the more I think about this morning's appt. at the naturopath I sort of crack up. I wonder what my face looked like at that moment? It was what you might call a watershed moment. A parting of the ways.
    I have so many tpo antibodies in me, what do I need to hold them in a vial for and do the accupressure? Is the relaxation going to pull them out of me, neutralize them . It is beyond me ! And, at that moment I wasn't interested in delving into the rationale. When I mentioned it to dh --he said maybe the power of the placebo affect would work for some. Possibly so.

Last edited by osteoblast; 11-13-2008 at 06:51 PM.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:55 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Accupressure alone.. with out the vial of TPOAB will give you relief. It is a very good technique for muscle relaxation and alignment. I know how to do it because of my.. UGH! i am getting old. 20 years in martial arts. You pick up on the technique over time and I had a chinese chiropractor refine my technique at shared martial arts clinics over a five year period. I am not certified, but if you get a cramp or muscle strain I know how to aide in its relief.

The vial idea is just silly. I would have asked if the vial was an attempt at attractive osmosis. Did she think that my antibodies were going to charged through my body, out my hand, through the amorphous glass vial just to party with the vial TPOAb? *SNORT* WHAT A CROCK OF COW MANURE! Sounds technical though. You might be able to sell it to someone that is severely hypoT and in a hypothyroid brain fog vegetative state. I think you are better off with the nutritionist/holistic take on the matter. If you want to try accupressure go to a chiropractor and get a fix. See how you feel afterward. I good accupressure session can stimulate everything from sinus drainage to energy as muscle tension and strain is relieved.

I see an integrative medicine IM, who has me working with their in house nutritionist.
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 11-14-2008 at 09:50 AM. Reason: I always want to put a c in nutrition. Maybe I need to eat more oranges..

Old 11-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #7
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

MG-well very interesting thoughts. Thank you! Do you do the accupressure on yourself?
    Yes, she lost me with the vial! I simply could not visualize myself doing what she had in mind. It just struck me as absurd!

Old 11-14-2008, 09:48 AM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Well I can not do it in certian areas, but I use it on my legs, face, and neck. The back, backside, shoulders, and Arms require another to apply the pressure. My husband has the basics down. he is a martial artist as well as an engineer. I do not do it every day.. but when my muscles give me issues I use it. If you are in a fairly active exercise routine a weekly accupressure/massage treatment will help with muscle pain and fatigue. I do not see how it will change antibody levels.. it may help relieve some inflammation issues...

Man did the attractive osmosis theory cause me to go on a tangent. Geez! *continues to chuckle*

MG

Old 11-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #9
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

MG-
    I just love that with your scientific background that you were able to provide the proper name for the vial jujitsu
    Attractive Osmosis!!!!!!!
    Still laughing-Thanks a bundle for the yuk yuks!
    In my years of using the computer this is the first time I have had a real LOL moment--in fact I had Multiple LOL moments!

Last edited by osteoblast; 11-14-2008 at 11:03 AM.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
    sunjewel888
    (female)

sunjewel888 HB User

You know a healthy skepticism is a good thing but we have to be careful not to close our minds to that which we don't understand. I have had this sort of treatment done a number of times for various things and it has worked well. Believe me I thought it was all BS in the beginning too but given that the doctors had nothing to offer me I decided I'd give it a go. I didn't understand how it worked but it did work. We know so little of the energy body really.
    Have a look into Thought Field Therapy and Emotional Freedom Technique and Kinesiology. They work in a similar way. Each to their own of course.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #11
    lmfriend97
    (female)

lmfriend97 HB User

Sounds pretty far out there. Check out this book. Overcoming Thyroid Disorders by David Brownstein, M.D. He takes the Holistic approach and I am told he is the only one successfully treating Hashi's. My doctor did not even mention my abnormal antibodies, just started treating the Hypo. I noticed them and have been researching on my own. I hope you can find a good Holistic doc.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
    sunjewel888
    (female)

sunjewel888 HB User

Browstiens work is really good. I have several of his books and a dvd of him presenting his work on iodine therapy. Well worth knowing.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #13
    rocksand
    (female)

rocksand HB User
    Smile Re: Weird Naturopath Treatment of Hashi's Antibodies-What do you think?

So what is the treatment for high antibodies? My naturopahtic doctor has suggested the following things which i like and have truly helped:

I like energy medicine (calms me - ie body talk, meditation, tia chi etc.)

I like excluding wheat and dairy (has helped reduced my antibodies in half - even though i am not gluton sensitive my arthritic joints are less painful)

I like eating healthy - 8 servings of vegies and 3 servings of 3 oz of protien

My md does not include and will not include cytomel or switch me to the natural dessicated thyroid hormones (which i have switched to recently) as i had low ft3 and high ft4...so i went with the naturalpath who can prescribe bioidentical (or more so thyroid hormones)

I like my naturalpath..i don't know about her idea a little our there for me..but who knows..what might work if we believe... i want to believe..

open mind always

The following user gives a hug of support to rocksand:
    sunjewel888 (08-16-2011)
    Old 08-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #14
    sunjewel888
    (female)

sunjewel888 HB User

There's a bit connection between high thyroid antibodies and other autoimmune diseases and gluten. Especially if you have celtic family history. Personally I don't eat grains any more other than some corn occasionally which seems ok for me. Lots to be said for the paliolithic diet I think.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #15
    rocksand
    (female)

rocksand HB User

I am happy to know I am not alone in this life journey so thank-you to every-one for your expolration of ideas and approaches to cope- eliminate autoimmune symptoms...\

the paliolithic diet ? Is that part of Browstiens work?

Closed Thread