It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• having thyroid symptoms, lab results inconclusive

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
    houseofglass21
    (male)

houseofglass21 HB User
    having thyroid symptoms, lab results inconclusive

Hi, this is my first post here. I'm 25 years old and have been having what I consider possible thyroid related symptoms lately such as: heart palpitations (went to a cardiologist and he did an ekg and echocardiogram and said everything was fine), always feeling cold especially in my hands and feet, vertical ridges on nails and weak nails, hair has gone thin and started greying a bit in spots, panic and anxiety attacks, always feeling tired and weak, etc. Just an overall cacophony of symptoms. I've also been having throat problems. My voice has gone hoarse and I've had pain in the thyroid area and what feels like a small lump that is painful to the touch, also coughed up blood one time.

I had some blood-work done last week and got the results back today. I'm making an appointment with an Endocronologist tomorrow. Here's the results:

3062 thyroid peroxidase autoabs | result - 17 | ref. range - <60

Reverse T3 | result - [H] 354 | ref. range 90-350

(T7 Panel)
    T3-Uptake | result - 40 | ref. range 32-48
    Total T4 | result - 7.3 | ref. range 5.2-11.0
    T7 |result - 7.30 | ref. range 5.93-13.13
    TSH |result - 0.49 | ref. range 0.34-5.60

I'm not really sure what to make of the tests aside from RT3 being a bit high, your thoughts are welcome and appreciated. Do you think I should have any additional tests given these results?

thanks!
    -Jonathan

Last edited by houseofglass21; 11-13-2008 at 11:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: having thyroid symptoms, lab results inconclusive

Houseofglass21,

Hi, this is my first post here. I'm 25 years old and have been having what I consider possible thyroid related symptoms lately such as: heart palpitations (went to a cardiologist and he did an ekg and echocardiogram and said everything was fine), always feeling cold especially in my hands and feet, vertical ridges on nails and weak nails, hair has gone thin and started greying a bit in spots, panic and anxiety attacks, always feeling tired and weak, etc. Just an overall cacophony of symptoms. I've also been having throat problems. My voice has gone hoarse and I've had pain in the thyroid area and what feels like a small lump that is painful to the touch, also coughed up blood one time.

Welcome to our thyroid dysfunctional family. Your results are not inconclusive. You clearly have a thyroid issue.

I had some blood-work done last week and got the results back today. I'm making an appointment with an Endocronologist tomorrow. Do not give your MDs 100% faith. QUESTION everything and always get copies of your labs. Educate yourself on the latest levels and ranges and understand the difference between optimal and NORMAL in range. Being NORMAL in a statistical generated laboratory range that MAY or MAY not be up to current A A C E standards does not mean you are normal for YOU. YOUR symptoms are clear cut and indicate MANY things. You clearly have poor liver conversion of your T4 to RT3 versus active and useful T3 making you hypoT. Finding an MD to understands thyroid issues is the challenge. If you strick gold with your first swing of the MD pick.. well you are one lucky guy. Now let me dig into your numbers...

Here's the results:
    3062 thyroid peroxidase autoabs | result - 17 | ref. range - <60

I am confused here. Is your TPOAB value 3062 or 17? If it is 3062 you have a whopper of an active case of Hashimoto's. The highest level of TPOAb I have documented is 1675. I felt like a blended cow patty at these levels, despite NORMAL Fts and TSH.

Reverse T3 | result - [H] 354 | ref. range 90-350

This is clear cut. You are not converting your T4 to active T3. Instead you are making the inactive useless RT3 component in your liver. The fix for this is to artificially supplement your T3 with cytomel or Armour/T4-T3 combination. Whether you need T4 supplementation depends on your T4 levels.

T3-Uptake | result - 40 | ref. range 32-48
    This means that your taking up of T4 to be converted or moved about your body and used is normal in range. Almost perfect in level actually. This is a good result. It tells you nothing more.

Total T4 | result - 7.3 | ref. range 5.2-11.0 Your MD was showing his/her lack of knowledge here. There is a 20% error inherent in this test. It tends to be more accurate for males, because they should have less estrogen than females.. but all in all it is not the best test out there for getting accurate results. SO you have to take this result with a tablespoon of salt. You are 36.2% of normal range here. If this is artificially inflated as T4 levels tend to be.. you could be as low as 16.2% of normal. OPTIMAL T4 range is 50-80% of normal. YOU are clearly too low here.

T7 |result - 7.30 | ref. range 5.93-13.13 UH?! Why? *SNORT* Worthless test. Not even going to waste my time with number crunching on it.
    TSH |result - 0.49 | ref. range 0.34-5.60 Hummm.. given the level of your T4 I would have expected this to be higher, especially since your RT3 is as high as it is.. you need a more detailed and accurate panel run. Plus you need some added biochemistry studies performed.

Your physical symptoms may be the result of malabsorption of some key nutrients: B12, vit D. You also need to get a baseline Ferritin and Magnesium level run. These are very important.

Now for a better look at your thyroid you need the most recent lowest error tests run:
    TSH (Sensitive/3rd generation) Normal range by A A C E should be 0.35-2.5. Most labs have not adjusted this yet. Too much effort to fix their software probably.
    FREE T3
    FREE T4

TGAb
    TSI
    TRAb

You need to check into your adrenals too:
    ACTH and cortisol 8 am blood serum fasting tests at the minimum. Add a DHEA if you are feeling froggy and get a willing MD. In the mean time I have 3 threads that I think you should read. I think they will help you out a bit. These are from my thyroid care and concerns series. Their URLs are:

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=599141[/url]
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=646472[/url]

Given your throat soreness and swallowing issues I think you also need to get an ENT on board and have a thyroid ultrasound run. Now I have another question, did you happen to have mono or a bad viral illness that seemed to hang on for ever sometime in the last 2-4 years? Maybe in college? This may have been the trigger to cause your thyroid issues. ESPECIALLY if you have Hashimoto's.

MG

Old 11-14-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
    houseofglass21
    (male)

houseofglass21 HB User

That was extremely helpful, thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Just to clarify on the TPOAB, my value/result was 17. And actually, I haven't gone to see an MD yet for my thyroid. I went to an independent lab and had the tests done after doing some reading online.

I did have mono about 10 years ago when I was 15 or 16, so bad in fact that I was off school for a whole month. It was undiagnosed, the test results came back negative, but I guess that happens sometimes. I shared a desk at school with someone who got mono at the same time, so it had to be that which made me so ill. I've never been as ill as I was then. After that I felt like I never made a full recovery, I've always felt a bit off, it seemed to hang on forever like you said. And after having mono that's when I started having panic attacks/anxiety and a lot of these other issues like extreme fatigue.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Did you mail of your own blood samples? Were these a blood spot test or actual lab drawn vial tests? The accuracy of the spot tests after being mailed differ greatly from the controlled and refrigerate vial tests that a lab performs.

My husband was the same way with Mono. He gave it to me shortly before we got engaged. Lovely! He never tested positive, but had all the signs. He still gets reoccuring symptoms. Mono about put me in the hospital.. it was nasty.

SO what do you need to do? You need to go to an MD that is open minded and willing to thoroughly test your thyroid. You need a new TSH and FT3 and Ft4 minimum.

Your TPOAb of 17 may be a positive identifier for Hashimoto's for you. IF your TGAb comes back positive you have Hashimoto's. If it comes back low normal in range.. you may still have Hashimoto's. The only 100 % identifier of Hashimoto's is tissue biopsy of the thyroid.

I asked about Mono because other than puberty it is main trigger of latent thyroid dysfunction in Males predisposed to get Hashimoto's. Do you have a family history of thyroid issues? Mother, Aunts, Grandma's? Normally there is a bevy of females with an issue before you get a male. I do think you have an issue. I just know that if you go in with a family tree of thyroid dysfunction the MD tends to be more willing to look and treat the issue. Good luck and keep us posted. I also wouldn't be surprised if you have many femalse in your family suffering in silence because they do not want to burden the younger generation with their thyroid woes. My mom and her four sisters were that way. If I had know BEFORE my issues manifested it may have shortened my five year MD tail chasing phase of getting my thyroid issues diagnosed.

MG

Old 11-19-2008, 08:25 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Do you live near your half sister? Can you get into her MD? IF so it will give your MD a better picture of your family history and symptom sets. It might allow for a quicker and more accurate diagnosis. Yo-yo dieting was most likely and attempt to control the hypothyroid weight gain. Dieting doesn't cause hypothyroidism unless it deprives you of sufficient iodine for thyroid synthesis and production. Dramatic hormonal shifts can cause the onset of Hashimoto's and certian viruses. Mono, puberty, pregnancy, menopause.. these are the main causes other that irradiation and environmental exposure to some metabolically active nasties.

Being male the MD will take better care of you than your sister. It is a fact that male thyroid patients are less common and more likely due to BAD thyroid issues. I do not think this is your case. I am betting this is Hashimoto's.. even if it is lurking and not wanting to poke its head out. Good luck and stick with us.. we need more male perspectives.

MG

Old 02-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
    houseofglass21
    (male)

houseofglass21 HB User

Well I still haven't gotten this problem solved yet. Saw my MD back in December, but he seemed to think my levels shown on those tests were ok. Had a CBC done as well as B12 and Vitamin D and everything is normal. I'm going back to see him tomorrow for a follow up.

I'm actually starting to think that I'm hyperthyroid or perhaps I'm cycling between hypo -and- hyperthyroid. I've started losing weight really quickly. I changed my diet and stopped eating bread and things like that and I went from 195 lbs to 182 within about 3 weeks. I'm still having the heart palpitations and extreme nervousness from time to time. It seems that it's worse in the morning for the first few hours after I wake up. I feel really nervous and my heart rate will go really fast from the slightest amount of activity. Some days are worse than others. Some days I feel like I'm on the constant verge of a panic attack. My hands will get very shakey and I feel weakened like my bodily functions are in overdrive. I'm also still experiencing the feeling of something in my throat as well as some swelling in the thyroid area.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
    rebecca37
    (female)

rebecca37 HB User

I recently found out I have high blood pressure I am on two medications and its still spiking they did a thyroid check on me and my T3 was 3.3 but my doctor says this is fine? is it? I am clueless to all this.. with the ranges they have it shows it's high.. do you think i need to look into this further. could this be why my bp is out of control? Thanks

Closed Thread