It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• RAI - precautions with family members, esp older children?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
    MathTeach1
    (female)

MathTeach1 HB User
    RAI - precautions with family members, esp older children?

My thyroid levels are back to normal - I was very hyperthyroid - and the endo says I can have the RAI whenever it works for me.

However, the endo told me that I'd either have to move out of the house for a week, or my 10 year old daughter would have to move out of the house. She said my daughter was too young to follow directions and stay away from me as instructed. I could not get a straight answer out of her about whether or not I'd be endangering her if she'd follow directions and let me be a hermit in the guest bedroom and bathroom. I don't know if this is a CYA move on the endocrinologist's part or not, and the information I've found online is very contradictory.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I really don't have $1000 to go stay in a hotel for a week, and my daughter can't go stay with family for a week; she has school, after all, and it's a 45 minute drive from my parents' home to her school. If I have to put this off until next summer, when it's more convenient, I will, but from a financial standpoint with my insurance, it would be better to do it before the end of the year.

Charisse

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
    korunner
    (male)

korunner HB User
    Re: RAI - precautions with family members, esp older children?

Have you given meds awhile to work. I'm assuming you've been on meds to normalize your thyroid, if so how long have you been on them? I was very hyper(due to Graves) and my endo pushed for the RAI as soon as my levels were normal. After much research and advice(thanks to the many great people on this board) I decided against it. It took about 18 mos. but I am now in remission and my levels have been normal for almost a year now. I know my thyroid can act up at any time but I'm glad that I did not succumb to my dr's pressure and get the RAI.

I've read a few success stories with RAI, but I've heard many more negative ones. Of course, you have to research it and make the best decision for you. The doctors seem to want the easy way out which isn't always the best one for the patient. Good luck with whichever way you choose

KO

Old 11-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Is this for graves disease or thyroid cancer? If it's for graves, the dose is not that high, you can stay home, just don't sit in the same room for extended periods for a couple of days. If you use a guest bathroom, and then wipe things down in the kitchen, and don't prepare foods for her. Ask the nuclear med place for instructions, they know better than the endocronologist.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
    MathTeach1
    (female)

MathTeach1 HB User

Sorry - it's for Graves disease.

I know, I'm still not 100% convinced this is the way to go, although the people I know who've had it done were glad they did.

Charisse

Old 11-16-2008, 06:34 AM   #5
    mmmcoffee
    (female)

mmmcoffee HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MathTeach1 View Post
    However, the endo told me that I'd either have to move out of the house for a week, or my 10 year old daughter would have to move out of the house. She said my daughter was too young to follow directions and stay away from me as instructed. I could not get a straight answer out of her about whether or not I'd be endangering her if she'd follow directions and let me be a hermit in the guest bedroom and bathroom. I don't know if this is a CYA move on the endocrinologist's part or not, and the information I've found online is very contradictory.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I really don't have $1000 to go stay in a hotel for a week, and my daughter can't go stay with family for a week; she has school, after all, and it's a 45 minute drive from my parents' home to her school. If I have to put this off until next summer, when it's more convenient, I will, but from a financial standpoint with my insurance, it would be better to do it before the end of the year.

Charisse
    I'm in the same boat. 2 kids, ages 6 and 10, 2 dogs--one of which is an 8lb lap dog. I have my RAI on 12/2 for papillary thyr. cancer. I'm concerned too. The Dr said I'd have a low dose, and wouldn't have too many precautions. Sleep alone, don't make meals for anyone, dont do their laundry, use disposable utensils, don't let them sit on my lap to watch tv etc. But, from what I've read, I really shouldn't be around them much at all. I go in on a Tues and come home on Thurs, husband will be home from work for the first few days (thru the weekend) then kids go to school on Mon. So I'm hoping it won't be so bad. It's horrible to say, but the worst part will be keeping my little 8lb dog off me. She's ALWAYS on my lap. Watching tv, napping etc . The Dr said it won't affect dogs, but that they can carry the radiation to kids.

From what I've read.....you need to be careful around anyone with a working thyroid because the radiation's job is to destroy thyroid and thyroid cells. Well, that's everyone I know. I can't afford a hotel either. Plus, what about meals. Hotel room service doesn't make a Low Iodine diet. I think I have to stay on that for at least a week after. I have a total body scan scheduled one week later on 12/9. I also doubt I'll be feeling very good, so probably won't want to have to leave the house anyway--let alone check into a hotel!

Same issue with the insurance too. I've hit all my deductables and HAVE to do it now. Can't afford to start over for a new year. Also, we have a small house. Very small. We don't have a guest bedroom or bathroom. Only one bathroom with a shower/tub and a half bath upstairs. Guess I have alot of cleaning to do. They said to take 3 or 4 showers a day and wipe the shower down after each.

I am afraid of infecting the kids. They're little and it's hard to stay away from Mommy. I have explained that Mom has to take a medicine "like kryptonite" and when I come home, they need to not hug me, sit with me etc. But it is hard. We'll see how it goes. With a low dosage (80mci) the Dr said it shouldn't be too bad. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Good luck to you and whatever you decide. My RAI would be for cancer, not Graves, so maybe the dosage will be different, I don't know. Please keep us posted and let us know how things go. Thank you and Good Luck--

mmmcoffee

Old 11-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #6
    MathTeach1
    (female)

MathTeach1 HB User

First of all, good luck with your procedure!

We're fortunate, in that our house is way too big for the three of us. I can sleep in the guest room, use the bathroom DD normally uses, and hang out in my craft room. The mini schnauzer will just have to stay downstairs and whine. Again, the contradictory information is interesting, because my endo said to keep the dog 6 to 8 feet away as well, because the radiation could affect her. The rest of your information sounds about the same as what I got, except for the showers; perhaps that's due to a higher dosage. Don't you wish they could all come to some sort of agreement about how this works?

My treatment will be outpatient, so no hospital stay here. They'll give me the pill, then shoo me out the door.

We've thought about having our daughter stay with my parents for the first couple of nights, if we can time the procedure for a Friday. That way, she'd be out of the house for the worst of it.

The timing is just rough all the way around. I'm a teacher, so the school (parochial) will be trying to find a sub - in math, no less - around the holidays. My husband is a Lutheran pastor, so I really need to get this done before Christmas break, as he's kind of booked up. Our daughter's good, but she can't take care of everything all by herself.

We'll see what the doctors say tomorrow. If I can make it work, I'm thinking the Friday after Thanksgiving would be my best bet. I'd have to stop the Tapazole this Tuesday ...

Charisse

Old 11-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
    mmmcoffee
    (female)

mmmcoffee HB User

Charisse

Tomorrow starts my Low Iodine Diet and 2 wks of NO MEDS. Kinda sucks when I've got no thyroid anymore! Tonight I indulged in Choc. cake and all kinds of food at my Dad's for dinner that I won't be able to eat over the next 2wks. Tonight before bed it's ICE CREAM!!!!

Now I'm cooking up some veggies to put in the fridge for tomorrow. I've already taken some food I had made previously and froze out to thaw. The LID seems okay, as long as I don't forget and grab something I shouldn't.

The worst part is that the LID is over my birthday and thanksgiving. I think I'm sending my husband, my dad and the girls down to NY to my brother's for thanksgiving. By then, I'll probably feel pretty horrible anyway. A quiet house would probably be nice. I didn't think it'd be fair to make them have to stay home and babysit me. Why ruin their turkey day too? I did grab an organic chicken to roast for me.

About the RAI . . . . Dr said I'd stay in isolation at the hosp. until I was no longer radioactive. Check me with a geiger counter. But I wonder, why they wouldn't keep me in longer. It just seems wierd that you're okay to leave the hospital, but not okay to be around people too closely. Kind of confusing I guess.

Well, good luck. Let us know how things go. Take care--

mmmcoffee

Old 11-16-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
    MathTeach1
    (female)

MathTeach1 HB User

Oh YUCK! Good luck with all that. {{}}

I've been told one week off the meds and on low iodine, and even then, the low iodine was more "avoid these kinds of foods" than anything. (Well, of course no seafood or shellfish.)

The doc said they'd want to do one more thyroid scan, then give me the pill. I'm hoping I can do the scan the Tuesday or Wednesday before Thanksgiving, then do the RAI on Friday. I have a lot of phone calls to make tomorrow, and since I can't just sit next to the phone and teach at the same time, I don't know if I can coordinate it all or not.

Charisse

Old 11-18-2008, 03:19 AM   #9
    MathTeach1
    (female)

MathTeach1 HB User

Sorry to respond to my own post, but I couldn't edit for some reason.

Looks like I'll be having RAI before you - my appointment is set for next Friday, November 28! I talked with living, breathing nuclear medicine doctor yesterday morning, and she was great. We were on the phone for nearly a half hour, and she (very patiently) answered all my questions.

My biggest worry at the moment is how to keep my husband and my daughter from doing each other in if I can't run interference.

Charisse

Old 11-18-2008, 05:57 AM   #10
    mmmcoffee
    (female)

mmmcoffee HB User

I know what you mean. Keeping my 2 girls from fighting with Dad might be a little tough. he is of course harder on them than I am. I'm the Mom, I give in. We'll see how it goes. let me know how the RAI goes. Mine is on 12/2. Let me know how it makes you feel etc.

Thanks

mmmcoffee

Old 11-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Whenever my husband or I are out of action due to surgery or illness that is going to take us out for a week or more.. we call in Grandma support. Do you have a family member that can help you out? Just a thought. This means hubby doesn't have to cook and the kids get to have the fun and distraction of the GPs.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 11-18-2008 at 10:18 AM.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:42 PM   #12
    MathTeach1
    (female)

MathTeach1 HB User

Unfortunately - or fortunately for them, I guess - my parents are both still very active people, so they have their own jobs and activities.

My husband gets my daughter up and to school every morning anyway, as I'm long gone before either of them get out of bed. She may get grilled cheese or mac and cheese a couple of evenings, but she'll survive.

Charisse

Closed Thread