It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• can i ask for a copy of my results?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
    sh 08
    (female)

sh 08 HB User
    can i ask for a copy of my results?

from the lab or dr? i did notice at the lab it said they can fax or send the results to any dr not just the one that asked for the tests....but i would like a copy do i ask them or my dr and will the dr give them to me?is this a common request?do they legally have to?i live in Canada just so you know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
    Masta
    (female)

Masta HB User
    Re: can i ask for a copy of my results?

I would ask the doctor and the lab for the results, that way you know for next time who will give them to you. no harm in asking. I'm sure the doctor will give them to you. they are your results you have a right to them.

I'm an Aussie living in u.s.a. when i lived in Australia i was able to get my test results all the time. heck they gave me my xrays to keep. here in the U.S they don't do that unless you ask, and even then they still don't give some of the ultrasounds back. Australia has socialized healthcare, so does Canada right?

i would start asking for all test results. from my experience of being a newbie to all of this myself.. i cannot trust a word a doctor tells me. i read my own results then research. lab ranges are off and doctors skim over results and tell you, you are normal when you are not.

you have to become your own advocate.... coz you are just another number/patient to a doctor. doctors have to see so many patients per day they cannot invest a whole lot of time in one patients health problems. doctors make mistakes they are human. just coz they have the Dr. in front of their name doesn't mean they are God and know all things.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Always get your lab results & reports. My younger daughter's surgeon told her that her biopsy report was benign but I kept bugging her to get the actual pathology report. Glad I did because it adds a little twist: there are follicular cells in the speciman. So it is not entirely benign. There is a possibility that these cells are cancer. Added to this is that her older sister just had surgery for follicular cancer. Makes her re-think her decision to just follow her nodule with ultrasound. These reports etc. are important. Fam

Old 11-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Always get your lab results & reports. My younger daughter's surgeon told her that her biopsy report was benign but I kept bugging her to get the actual pathology report. Glad I did because it adds a little twist: there are follicular cells in the speciman. So it is not entirely benign. There is a possibility that these cells are cancer. Added to this is that her older sister just had surgery for follicular cancer. Makes her re-think her decision to just follow her nodule with ultrasound. These reports etc. are important. Fam

Old 11-17-2008, 07:16 AM   #5
    thaele
    Inactive
    (female)

thaele HB User

Hi there,

I'm from Ontario, not sure which province you're in.. but it is OK to request them, though it does feel weird doesn't it? I almost feel like I'm telling the doc "you're wrong". My doc is pretty good, she'll hand me the results to look over myself and read through, she goes over it all with me, although I'm sure she wouldn't mind giving me a copy if I asked. Also, if the labs come back slightly off (even if just by a tinsy bit), she will call me in for it even if she doesn't believe it requires treatment so taht at least I know and if symptoms further develop I can have some sort of idea and come back to her.

I don't know how your doc works, but if they aren't as delligent as my doc is with results, requesting a copy wouldn't hurt. Your doctor shouldn't make you uncomfortable about asking for it either.. I've had some docs make me feel bad when I questionned them, this isn't right! I've had other docs who've told me that we need to be advocates for our own health because we will know best when something isn't right.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Yes in Canada, UK, and USA it is NATIONAL policy that your a copy of your medical records must be released to you IF you request it. This includes labs, MD notes and summaries and more. Some of the MD summaries are great fun to read. The MDs hate for us to ask and sometimes they balk. BUT if you insist they can only request a copying fee at most of you. THEY ARE YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS! When you are a military personel.. the rules change a bit. Your records are military property and getting a copy is much harder.

MG

Closed Thread