It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• First month on Synthroid and having menstrual problems *help*

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
    KellyABC
    (female)

KellyABC HB User
    First month on Synthroid and having menstrual problems *help*

I've been taking Synthroid 50 mcg now for about 3-1/2 weeks. My menstrual cycle started off as per usual with very heavy bleeding. Here's the kicker, it's hasn't stopped since. I'm on day 13 of light flow/spotting. This has never happened before. I have never been a spotter.

Did this happen to any other ladies out there when they were trying to regulate their thyroid? Is the bleeding from the hormonal changes that the Synthroid is causing?

(Yes, I know I will go to my doctor if it persists) but I just wondered if anyone out there had this too when starting Synthroid. It seems to be quite the coincedence that this has never happened to me before but it chooses to happen on the month I start the Synthroid.

Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2008, 05:32 AM   #2
    Suey77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Suey77 HB User
    Cool Re: First month on Synthroid and having menstrual problems *help*

Quote:
    Did this happen to any other ladies out there when they were trying to regulate their thyroid?
    Hi Kelly ~
    YES, I've had similar experiences with T4 meds. Irregular, spotting, too frequent. It will settle down when you get closer to optimized. In Sept, I started taking Levoxyl again with my Armour & have noticed the same kind of weirdness.

hang in there
    ~Sue

Old 11-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
    KellyABC
    (female)

KellyABC HB User
    Re: First month on Synthroid and having menstrual problems *help*

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suey77 View Post
    Hi Kelly ~
    YES, I've had similar experiences with T4 meds. Irregular, spotting, too frequent. It will settle down when you get closer to optimized. In Sept, I started taking Levoxyl again with my Armour & have noticed the same kind of weirdness.

hang in there
    ~Sue
    Thanks Sue I think writing this post was like going to the doctor, the day I wrote it, the spotting started dissipating lol. A friend of mine wondered whether 50 mcg might have been too strong a starting dose for me and caused too much T4 hormone, therefore increasing the bleeding like in hyperthyroidism, but it's too soon to say that considering it's only been less than 4 weeks. Plus, I really don't feel that 50 mcg would be too much for me considering how strongly hypo my symptoms feel. We shall see I guess when I get my next blood work.

So far though, the msnstrual spotting has been the only change I've noted since being on Synthroid.

Thanks again!

Old 11-17-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
    Suey77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Suey77 HB User

For a T4 med, anything less than .050 mcg's is considered a NON-dose that the body has MORE trouble with than no med at all

I was taking 2 grains of Armour with no probs, but when they added .025 mcg's Levoxyl to it, my crazy spottiness started up (again) to. So my best guess is its the T4 med, not our bodies

Last edited by Suey77; 11-17-2008 at 06:39 PM.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I had 2 periods a month for a couple of months. I had testosterone/progesterone/estrogen level issues as a side effect of an adrenal issue and PCOS that adding T4 seem to kick into overdrive temporarily. It wouldn't hurt to have your OB evaluate your adrenal and sex homrones.

MG

Old 11-19-2008, 04:52 AM   #6
    KellyABC
    (female)

KellyABC HB User

Thanks MG. I have infertility, so they have been checking my hormone levels, they checked cortisol on CD3, testosterone/progesterone/estrogen levels. There were other things they checked too I'm sure, but any other things that they should check for? At some point I will be getting a uterine ultrasound (for PCOS) but that is not suspected.

Thanks,

kelly

Last edited by KellyABC; 11-19-2008 at 04:53 AM.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
    snopea
    (female)

snopea HB User

I started my synthroid 4 days ago and since day 2 of taking them...I've been spotting! I've never been a spotter either. I"m on 0.037 of synthroid.

I was hyper T before I had my surgery and now I'm hypo and never spotted until I started with synthroid. I hope this is not something that will happen on a regular basis too.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:06 AM   #8
    KellyABC
    (female)

KellyABC HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snopea View Post
    I started my synthroid 4 days ago and since day 2 of taking them...I've been spotting! I've never been a spotter either. I"m on 0.037 of synthroid.

I was hyper T before I had my surgery and now I'm hypo and never spotted until I started with synthroid. I hope this is not something that will happen on a regular basis too.
    Hi Snopea!

I certainly hope it doesn't last for you. For me the spotting stopped and my cycles eventually began to regulate themselves back to a normal 28 to 30-day cycle and the spotting did spot. I hope the spotting will stop for you as well. If I remember correctly, it was month 2 or 3 that my cycles went back to normal.

It was so strange to receive notification of this in my e-mail and read this post from so long ago. So much has changed for me since then. When I said I had infertility above, we ended up doing IVF and we now have 2 beautiful little girls .

Old 09-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
    snopea
    (female)

snopea HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KellyABC View Post
    Hi Snopea!

I certainly hope it doesn't last for you. For me the spotting stopped and my cycles eventually began to regulate themselves back to a normal 28 to 30-day cycle and the spotting did spot. I hope the spotting will stop for you as well. If I remember correctly, it was month 2 or 3 that my cycles went back to normal.

It was so strange to receive notification of this in my e-mail and read this post from so long ago. So much has changed for me since then. When I said I had infertility above, we ended up doing IVF and we now have 2 beautiful little girls .
    Congrats! That is good news!
    I'm also glad your spotting has stopped too. It doesn't seem to be a common thing and it's nice to hear from somebody that has experienced the same thing. I'm only on day 5 of taking synthroid and the spotting seemed to have stopped yesterday ( I hope)
    Did you feel anything else when you started with synthroid? felt a little tired then normal, sleeping to be a little more off? I guess it's just the hormones and once it adjusts maybe that will be better too.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
    anxiousagain
    (female)

anxiousagain HB Useranxiousagain HB User

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to bump it up to see if the problem you all were experiencing resolved itself. I've been on 125 mcg of Synthroid (name brand) since Aug. 9 following a total thyroidectomy. Prior to the surgery, I was getting a period only every 3-6 months. Lo and behond, I started a period on Aug. 16. Today, I'm having a bit of spotting and crampiness like I might get another period. That would be only 16 days since my last one! I'm also getting on and off constipation, so I'm thinking my Synthroid dosage may not be correct. (I see my endo on Sept. 16.) I just hope this doesn't become a longstanding issue. I much preferred 4 periods per year to two per month!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #11
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

My issues cleared up once I was optimized. I have had a baby girl since this thread was originated as well. Post pregnancy my period came back quickly despite pumPing out 40 oz of milk a day. Yes I moo'd frequently.

When I stopped breast feeding I had to reiterate my thyroid levels. My T3 levels we t hyperT and I had six months of periods on a 18 day cycle versus the standard 28. When I managed to get back down to 75% of normal thyroid hormone I returned to a 28 day clock work menstrual cycle. It is amazing how one little gland can cause SO many issues.

MG

Closed Thread