It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• What to expect post op thyroidectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
    REE77
    (female)

REE77 HB User
    What to expect post op thyroidectomy

I am scheduled for a partial, possible thyroidectomy Dec 2. For all that have had them what was your hospital stay time? They say overnight but I wonder if that is all? Also when you got home how much did you need help? Was someone there with you or can you manage alone? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: What to expect post op thyroidectomy

I did great, hopefully you will too!

I stayed over night, but I was up and about within a couple of hours after surgery. You actually could go home, but they keep you in to monitor your calcium levels.

After anesthesia, I tend to run to the bathroom, so I got dressed after my surgery, and ran back and forth to pee all night! I left by 11 am the next day. My throat was sore, but I didn't need pain killers. I ate soft foods and ice cream in the beginning.

I didn't need any help, the next day I attended a party for my niece for a little while, so as I said, this was a very easy surgery for me.

I did take tylenol pm to sleep the first few nights, and I took it easy, but then my kids needed me, so I was running about, driving, etc. by the morning of day four.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:56 AM   #3
    love2fish
    (male)

love2fish HB User

Reece, your experience is exactly like mine. I could have gone home the day of surgery, but they kept me over night to check calcium. They left the IV in all night and I had to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes! I never took a pain pill - unlike my room mate who constantly begged for pain meds (not thyroid). They finally knocked him out, but he left his MP3 player on all night playing RAP music (is that really music)!!!

Old 11-18-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
    RMB
    (female)

RMB HB User

Everyone has different surgery experiences but for me it was not that bad. I had a PT.

My throat was a sore and felt swollen. I was able to control the pain with tylenol also. I was up and moving by the evening of the day I had surgery. My calcium levels were good the following morning and I was leavning the hospital by lunch time.

Now that is not to say I did not have boo-hoo moments when I was home. I had some ups and downs but for the most part recovery was good. Just make sure you rest, rest, rest. If you don't it comes back and kicks you and then you pay for it for a couple of days.

My only regret was not getting my blood checked sooner after surgery. In my case the remaning thyroid did not start working like it should have so I went very hypo before I was started on meds. I am now just playing the balancing game to get things leveled off.

Take care and best wishes to you....
    RMB

Old 11-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
    Lori123
    Veteran
    (female)

Lori123 HB User

Hi,
    I had a TT Aug 07'. The recovery wasn't bad at all. I did have to stay in the hospital for 4 days...yuck. My calcium was too low. They keep a close eye on it. When it stabilized, I got to go home. I was up going potty about 30 min. after I got back to my room after surgery. I did not need any pain med except tylenol. Your throat will be sore, obviously. Your throat and neck will feel tight for a while, too. I felt decent after a couple of days. My husband did stay home with me for a couple of days. Just rest and take it easy. Good luck to you, you will be fine!!
    Lori

Old 11-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
    REE77
    (female)

REE77 HB User

Thanks so much for the replies. I am just so nervous but it helps to know what others went through. I just want it to be over.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
    RMB
    (female)

RMB HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by REE77 View Post
    Thanks so much for the replies. I am just so nervous but it helps to know what others went through. I just want it to be over.
    Just so you know it is perfectly normally to feel anxious and nervous. Any surgery is a big deal. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to if it will help calm some of your fears. I know for me the fear of the unknown was the hardest part. So if there is any info I can share that will help fill in the blanks for you, ask away!!

Take care..
    RMB

Old 11-29-2008, 10:42 PM   #8
    alieb808
    (female)

alieb808 HB User

Hi there!
    I am very new to this site, but found it searching for answers regarding thyroid. I, too, am having surgery on the Dec 2, and am just like you: extremely apprehensive...to be honest I'm downright terrified. All these posts have helped me a lot, and I'm hoping ours will go smoothly and successfully also.
    Take care and wish you well!

Closed Thread