It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Low ferritin + Armor = bad?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
    hypoT
    Inactive
    (female)

hypoT HB User
    Question Low ferritin + Armor = bad?

I've heard that taking Armor when your ferritin is low can cause you to feel "wired but tired." I suspect this is why I may be crashing on Armor. Has anyone experienced this or heard about it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
    tygwyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tygwyn HB User
    Re: Low ferritin + Armor = bad?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoTpremed View Post
    I've heard that taking Armor when your ferritin is low can cause you to feel "wired but tired." I suspect this is why I may be crashing on Armor. Has anyone experienced this or heard about it?
    I've heard about it too. I have low Ferritin (36 which is in range but not the optimum 70-90) and have just moved across to Armour (well not armour but a different version of the same!). As yet I'm yet to feel as good as I was hoping too but like you I suspect my Ferritin may not be helping.

I'm taking 100mg Elemental iron daily at the moment and will look at getting my Ferritin tested again soon. The problem is that my doctor believes my ferritin is fine so asking her to retest it may make (will make) her question if I have been self treating! Oh well...my body . I may just go to my GP though and get them to test...no questions that way

how long have you been taking Armour? Have you also had your adrenals tested? Struggling to stabilise on Armour can be a signal that your adrenals are fatigued also. I found that out before starting armour and didnt start it until my adrenals had been supported using HC.

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
    Adrenal Fatigue
    180mg NTH
    28mg HC
    2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Last edited by moderator2; 11-20-2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 11-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
    hypoT
    Inactive
    (female)

hypoT HB User

My ferritin is 17 and I've been on Armor only for a little less than a month. Last time I checked (several months ago) my cortisol was normal in the AM and deathly low in the PM. Also, my reverseT3 was >400 in June.

I went on pure T3 therapy despite my adrenals being fatigued and it brought my reverseT3 down. I switched to Armor this month after my freeT3 (even on pure T3) and free T4 were both below the bottom of the range

I was afraid the pure T3 therapy zapped my adrenals even more, but my ratio of freeT3/freeT4 is in balance indicating that my adrenal fatigue is not affecting my thyroid output negatively according to a veteran member on this board.

I will get results for morning cortisol (blood), ATCH, insulin (fasting), reverse T3, and ferritin (I've been taking iron to boost it) in a week. It will be interesting to see where they are now.

I'll post the results here when I get them for sure.

Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-20-2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 11-22-2008, 05:39 AM   #4
    alikat709
    (female)

alikat709 HB User

I wouldn't expect a huge jump in your ferritin in that short amout of time. It takes awhile to up the ferritin, sometimes months of extra iron. I was at 32 then added a multi with iron , after 2 months I was up to 36, so then I added an additional 18mg of iron. i haven't rechecked as of yet. I would also like to add that in addition to supplements you should try hard to get as much iron from your diet as well . Try to eat a balanced diet . and add in excersize to your routine. I am still hypo , but since Ive been eating better and working out everyday, I am really feeling better. Maybe its all in my head but somethings working lol. kathy

I will get results for morning cortisol (blood), ATCH, insulin (fasting), reverse T3, and ferritin (I've been taking iron to boost it) in a week. It will be interesting to see where they are n

Closed Thread