HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   is my tsh test normal? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/650088-my-tsh-test-normal.html)

dancingdeer 11-17-2008 06:08 PM

is my tsh test normal?

hi all,

during a routine annual exam last week, i was found to have something on my thyroid. i was promptly sent for blood work and an ultrasound. i received the blood results today and they were 2.0 for the tsh. back in september my tsh was 1.31. is this a normal reading and or variance?

i have not received the results of my ultrasound back yet. i have an appointment with an ENT for this week. in the meantime, i have learned that three of my cousins have had problems with their tyroids. one had hers removed and is doing fine without any meds. hers was diagnosed as goiter. the other was also diagnosed with goiter and chose to not have it removed. neither suffer from any symptoms of hypo or hyperT. the third did have surgery and is on meds.

any advice would be much appreciated! :angel:

thanks in advance.

FinnMaid 11-17-2008 11:52 PM

Re: is my tsh test normal?

TSH of 2 is a bit on the high side - do you have symptoms? Umm... One of your cousins had her thyroid removed and is on no meds :confused: They must have left [I]something[/I] since one cannnot live without a thyroid (or thyroid meds if the thyroid is removed or otherwise destroyed).

dancingdeer 11-18-2008 04:29 AM

the one cousin who is not on meds has enough thyroid remaining after surgery to make enough hormone for her.

i don't have any symptoms. after reading a lot o on the new guidlines for tsh, i see the ideal mean is more like 1.1 - 1.5

i am wondering what could have happened to cause my reading to change so much in 60 days.

FinnMaid 11-18-2008 05:33 AM

If you have no symptoms it may be ok to have a TSH of 2. A slight fluctuation is normal - and there are differences between early morning and late morning levels. BUT since you are waiting to get the results from your ultrasound too hopefully you'll soon know more. They didn't check thyroid antibodies did they?

dancingdeer 11-18-2008 06:11 AM

no - i don't hink they checked the antibodies. i will know more on thursday when i visit the ent. i feel fine and when i go through the checklist, i don't have any of the hypoT symptoms. waiting for the results is the hardest part! i will post more after my ent visit.

mkgb 11-18-2008 10:21 AM

With a TSH of 2 I had hypoT symptoms out the waz! I also had antibody levels in the 2000 range. Just to get a thorough picture. I would make sure that you get your antibodies run.. TPOAb and TGAb as well as your FT3 and Ft4 levels. If you have those four tests you have a thorough thyroid panel to look back on.

MG

dancingdeer 11-20-2008 08:16 PM

had my ENT appointment today. doc says i have two nodules - one being 2.5 cm and one 1 cm. had more blood drawn for t3 and t4 tests. then, sent to hospital for another ultrasound and FNA biopsy - 3 needles later......

i won't have my next ENT appointment until dec 4th. i still don't know anything, except that i have nodules.

mkgb 11-22-2008 02:27 PM

If the FNA comes back questionable your ENT will recommend removal of your thyroid. The nodules are 1 and 2.5 cms in size. This means that if there is a risk of cancer they need to go. If the FNA comes back benign.. they may just be Hashi's induced cysts and you will need to watch them with US-FNA's every 6 months.

MG

dancingdeer 11-23-2008 06:06 AM

would someone please provide the ranges for free T3 and T4 tests? i cannot seem to find the ranges for readings and what the acceptable numbers should be.

thank you!

FinnMaid 11-23-2008 10:57 AM

[QUOTE=dancingdeer;3802196]would someone please provide the ranges for free T3 and T4 tests? [/QUOTE]
You need to ask your lab which ranges they use - the ranges vary from lab to lab and you always need to compare your levels to those specific lab ranges. Usually one needs to have both free T's at least around midrange or above it.

dancingdeer 11-25-2008 05:51 PM

i got my FNA results today. I do not have cancer. She told me I have goiter - which is what one grandmother and 3 cousins had. They want me to keep an eye on it and have another ultrasound in 2 months, with a follow up with the doctor.

My T3 was 3.0 with a range of 2.3 - 4.2
My T4 was 1.00 with a range of 0.73 - 1.95

Does anyone have any thoughts on my blood work results?

And, thanks to everyone who has posted responses here. :o)

mkgb 11-25-2008 06:37 PM

[B]FT3 3.0 (2.3 - 4.2)[/B] You are 36.8% of normal range.
[B]FT4 1.00 (0.73 - 1.95)[/B] 22.1% of normal range here.

Your levels are close to balanced, but they are suboptimal. You could benefit from thyroid supplementation.

MG

dancingdeer 11-27-2008 05:48 AM

Thanks for the comments!

I would like to know what to ask my doctor for at my next appointment on Dec 4th. If I ask for medicine - what should I be asking for? Also, are there any foods that I should embrace or eliminate? Any herbal supplements or vitamins I should take?

From my understand, I want my T3 and T4 to go up a bit in their ranges, and the TSH to some down a bit.

Thanks again! :o)

mkgb 11-30-2008 01:32 PM

You would only need a T4 supplement. You should ask for synthroid with a generic option. However you should get your iodine levels checked. Low iodine levels can also cause low thyroid output. So you need to check your iodine levels as well.

MG