It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hi! I'm new had a question about Methimazole

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
    JaysterX35
    (male)

JaysterX35 HB User
    Hi! I'm new had a question about Methimazole

Hello Im new to this site, Ive been Dx with hyperthroid my tsh 3 level were 2.4 and the doctor told me normal levels should be around 1.8, Now My question is, I've been taking Methimazole 5 mg once a day as the doctor told me. I was feeling fine almost the whole month and then when I was down to 5 pills left I started having these weird side effects, I've been having weird chest pains. now a day before I took the pill I went to the ER because I felt like i was gonna faint and my left arm felt numb and my chest was slightly hurting so i thought it was a heart attack, but the doctor told me I'm fine after they where done with all the blood tests. Than after I finished taking the rest of the meds I went back to do another check up. My tsh 3 levels where now 2.8. why did it get higher? I asked the doctor if that was normal he said yes and he gave me another 30 days of methimazole 5 mg. Now Im taking the meds again and today while I was walking around I felt like this weird feeling in my chest than going through my whole front stomach and I felt light headed, like if I was gonna faint. The same feeling I had that night I went to the ER. I just wanted to know those Methimazole causes all these weird reactions. Every time I read online it aways dizziness, muscle pain, etc, But nothing on chest pains, and feeling like Im gonna faint. Thanks alot for who ever answers me, Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
    lynnybug55
    (female)

lynnybug55 HB User
    Re: Hi! I'm new had a question about Methimazole

Welcome! I'm new to thyroid dysfunction, too. But, it looks to me like you are hypoT, not hyperT. The TSH level you posted is high, which I believe means hypo. Your medication is probably making your symptoms worse. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. You should call your doctor about your symptoms. Good luck!

Old 11-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

Hi! like to help but am confused with tsh 3? Do you mean Free t-3 or total t-3? If it's tsh then the 2 isn't hyper. Find out for sure. I don't know about the chest pains but some HYPO people say this the numbness and the fainting too maybe. Are you on beta blockers? These could be symptoms of this, too high a dose?Or you've gone hypo on the Methimazole..that you might not have needed?

Old 11-20-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
    JaysterX35
    (male)

JaysterX35 HB User

I think the doc said I'm hypo, cause I have gained a lot of weight and ever since taking this med and eating right I went from 290 to 272 in like a month. but after a month of taking I started feeling weird in my stomach and chest. and now all day yesturday I kept getting chest pains on and off, I really don't want to think it's a heart attack because I already went to the ER for that and they said everything in my heart is fine. Is that I'm new to this thing, and I don't remember what I saw on the paper. I think I saw tsh 3 - 2.4 and he recommended me Methimazole 5mg. out of curiosity if you by any chance don't have hypo and your taking Methimazole can that cause problems?

Last edited by JaysterX35; 11-20-2008 at 08:01 AM.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You must get a photocopy of your labs. The numbers and tests you posted are confusing to us, and we can't really tell you much based on those.

I can tell you that... If you were hypOthyroid before you started taking methimazole, that would "cause problems". Big ones. But if you were hypERthyroid at the start, it's possible you have become hypo due to too much methimazole. There's no way for us to figure that out without factual lab numbers.

You're entitled by law to a copy of your labs. I suggest you get one so we can help you from there.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
    JaysterX35
    (male)

JaysterX35 HB User

alright thanks a lot I'm get a photo copy of the labs this weekend and I'll give you guys a better In site on my situations thanks

Old 11-20-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
    lynnybug55
    (female)

lynnybug55 HB User

Isn't Methimazole usually given for hyperT?

Old 11-20-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

Yes lynny, and I don't think a doc would prescribe it for a tsh of 2 or 3, unless he's a lunatic. I'm thinking it was a free t-3 of 2.4 and that would be over the range....maybe??? He'll find out and post it. He couldn't have been too bad cause 5 mgs is considered a low starting dose.I was started on 2.5 so no one has me beat yet!LOL!

Old 11-22-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
    JaysterX35
    (male)

JaysterX35 HB User

well I got my results, and I told the doctor about my situation and my chest pains, and he took me off Methimazole and now is giving me PTU 100 mg Pills taking it twice a day. Here are my latest results.

T3-Uptake 35.65
    T4- Total 10.7
    TSH 1.92
    T3 - Total ---- 2.8 H
    T7 3.81

Where the 2.8H is what I was talking about and on the top it says Out of Range.

Well he started me on the pill today I haven't taken it yet...

Last edited by JaysterX35; 11-22-2008 at 10:15 AM.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #10
    JaysterX35
    (male)

JaysterX35 HB User

Also My girl friend got tested and she has suppose higher TSH and the doctor told her she needs to get an MRI on her head to see why the TSH is so high?
    She gets like Random headaches in her forehead and some chest pains, Is that due to the TSH being so high...?

T3-Uptake 31.09
    T4 Total 10.7
    TSH ----- 87.65 H
    T3-Total 1.3
    T7 1.52

87.65 H is whats out of range.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #11
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

You two look a very odd pair. Next to the results, there should be some numbers that give the normal range. Would you mind posting those too?

Thing is the tests that were done were the old type tests for thyroid dysfunction. The newer tests that do Free T4 and Free T3 would give a much better picture as to what's going on. Both you and your girlfriend have paradoxical results that absolutely do not match a regular pattern, either normal or dysfunctional. I would question your doctor on why you have a normal level TSH with a high T3 level and ask him either for a referral to an endocrinologist or else more in depth testing to find out why your results are like that. That is a very not normal pattern. An MRI for your girlfriend isn't a bad idea but levels like yours qualify for an MRI too.

When thyroid hormone levels are elevated, TSH levels should be low. Your TSH level is normal. Further testing is mandatory before putting you on medications.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #12
    JaysterX35
    (male)

JaysterX35 HB User

Normal range.

22.5 - 37.0%
    3.2 - 12.6 ug/dl
    0.35 - 5.50 uIU/ml
    0.6 - 1.8 ng/ml
    1.0 - 4.2

Mines

T3-Uptake 35.65
    T4- Total 10.7
    TSH 1.92
    T3 - Total ---- 2.8 H
    T7 3.81

Her's

T3-Uptake 31.09
    T4 Total 10.7
    TSH ----- 87.65 H
    T3-Total 1.3
    T7 1.52

Also I forgot to mention is that he also gave me beta blocker pills Atenolol because I had a high blood pressure of 140/90 "supposevly" and he said that that could be the reason why my chest was hurting? But I don't get it I was fine when I went to the EmG room and the after I started taking that pill I felt fine for 3 weeks now the last week my chest was hurting alot. does methimazole raise blood pressure? Im afriad to take the PTU because what if it gets worse. and the Atenolol I took right now because my chest was still hurting a bit and a friend told me I should take it if my blood pressure was high and My chest hurt. But now I feel like warmness around my chest and back, the pain is gone a little but I sill feel it a bit. I don't know what to do. Im thinking about going to another doctor to get a sec opinion.

Last edited by JaysterX35; 11-22-2008 at 08:48 PM.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:54 AM   #13
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I think it would be very wise to get a second opinion. An isolated finding of an elevated TOTAL T3 does not make a person hyperthyroid. All it says it that it would be wise to test a little further and get the FREE hormone levels tested. The total numbers are the total amount of hormone circulating in the blood and the free numbers are the total amount that's actually active and able to produce a change in metabolism. There's a possibility that you aren't truly hyperthyroid and that you might have something benign like a binding protein abnormality or something along those lines. If that were the case, that would be why the medication made you feel so bad.

The other thing that crosses my mind is that I'm gathering you and your girlfriend saw the same doctor and had the labs done at the same lab. Labs have been known to make mistakes and when such strange results show up, it's often wise to have the labs re-run.

Also, one borderline high bp reading doesn't make a person hypertensive. At least two readings are needed to confirm that. Even better, a home monitor for a week or so. However, atenolol at low doses doesn't hurt. They sometimes use it to help treat anxiety.

If I were sitting in your shoes, I probably would hold off taking the PTU until I had the proper labs drawn. PTU would make it hard to interpret new labs. They often use atenolol to treat symptoms until a diagnosis is made.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #14
    JaysterX35
    (male)

JaysterX35 HB User

Ok Im back, Update I went to get a second Opinion from a different Clinic. I showed him My old test and he said that the test I showed him is an old test to diagnose thyriod disease. That there is a new method of it which was the Free T-4 and Tsh test. He said if he would've seen these test he would've not put me an any medication. He would have waited a month, and do a retest. Now here are my new results.

TSH - 0.788 0.35 - 5,5 uLU/ml
    FREE T-4 - 1.17 0.58 - 1.64 ng/ml

Now he tells me with the new test that I'm normal, and that I should stop taking the Methimazole. He said that that's why I'm having chest pains and Feeling weird and stuff. Now I'm kinda afraid Because If I really didn't have a Thyriod problem and I've been taking Methimazole 5mg for a month and a week, can that cause problems I heard about thyriod storms. It's been 2 weeks that I haven't taking Methimazole and I was fine, except sunday night When I felt warm and a little pain on my chest for like 10 secs. Now my chest pains sometimes keep coming and going and they don't hurt really bad. I would feel some discomfort, and sometimes short of breath and maybe weak and tired. I don't know what to do, should I just wait it out because it could be a side affect of me not taking the pill. Now another question since i don't have a thriod problem and I have been taking methimazole 5mg is that really that strong after taking it a month to do me harm. and also wouldn't my TSH test and Free T-4 test would've come out irregular or say it's unbalanced because Ive been taking methimazole. Also i think I'm going to get another general blood check up since the last time I did it was before taking Methimazole and I was fine. Thanks, I'll post about my girlfriend result soon

Last edited by JaysterX35; 12-04-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:17 AM   #15
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

It sounds like the new doc pretty much confirmed what I was telling you. The only thing I would have liked to have seen along with those results would have been a Free T3 level but that would have been mostly out of curiosity and not absolute necessity. The TSH +FT4 is a very good screening tool. However, it takes about 6 weeks for a thyroid to totally level out when you're dealing with either anti-thyroid meds or thyroid hormones. I don't think theres a problem here but it might be wise to have a recheck of those levels in about 3 mos just to make sure. I wouldn't really worry about thyroid storm either. It's a terrifying read though, ain't it? It's also darned rare.

So, whatever came of your hypertension? Did you get a home bp monitor? Are you still taking the atenolol?

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.

Closed Thread