It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Off meds...going hypo? Insomnia? I don't get it!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
    mmmcoffee
    (female)

mmmcoffee HB User
    Off meds...going hypo? Insomnia? I don't get it!

Ok, so here we are, day 2 of all meds and on low iodine diet. My body is exhausted during the days. I still take dogs for walks twice and do housework etc like always. Even when I don't feel up to it, the dogs still have to go out. Force myself to go. maybe not as far as usual, but still 2 walks a day.

Here's my question......Going off all meds, I thought I should be really tired. Well, I am, but CANNOT fall asleep at night. Lights go out, lay in bed....can't close my eyes, hear EVERY noise in the house, get up to check kids/dogs, cannot sleep for the life of me! But I'm wiped out, very tired.

Am I just stressing about upcoming RAI? Does going off meds give you insomnia? Yes, major worrying about not working/no income, christmas and kids bdays coming up, RAI, isolation, holidays, etc etc. The list goes on. While on the LID, can I take something like tylenol PM? Can't tonight, have to get up early & drive kids to school. But maybe tomorrow night I can.

I was just curious about the lack of meds causing insomnia. I had thought it would be just the opposite. maybe I'm just stressing, don't know. Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks---

mmmcoffee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Off meds...going hypo? Insomnia? I don't get it!

Have you been tested for sleep apnea? Insomnia is a side effect of that.
    Another issue may be adrenal compensation for lack of thyroid hormone. You may have a ramped cortisol level at the moment. That will keep you awake even if you are low in thyroid hormone and suffering the hypot BLAHS.

Many things can cause it. Your system is in a state of thyroid hormone shock. You can ask if you can try melatonin to ease you into sleep or tylenol PM and the like. Try and relax and follow good sleep hygiene there is a sleep hygiene outline stickied to the top of the sleep disorders board. It will let you know if you are doing things inadvertently to affect the quality and ability too sleep.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 11-19-2008 at 09:32 AM.

Closed Thread