It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Anyone attribute digestive problems to their medication????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User
    Anyone attribute digestive problems to their medication????

A guy I work with was diagnosed appx. 3 years ago hypoT with a TSH level of around 8.3 and put on generic Synthroid dosage of 50mcgs.

He swears that it was tearing his stomach up after taking it for about 3 months and stopped taking it. He hasn't taken it for over 2 years and goes for his check ups every 6 months and they say his levels are ok. He feel fine.
    On top of that his daughter who is 45 complained of the same thing and went off of hers and her labs are supposedly OK as well.

I've had problems with my upper digestive tract ever since being put on medication and it drives me nuts. Can't eat fruit or anything with even the slightest teenyest bit of acid in it. Most of the time even if I don't eat acidic foods I have to use anti-acids. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it's this stupid medication that is causing it.

Before medication I'd have a little heart burn occassionally but nothing like I'm experiencing on medication.

Just curious if others are having digestive problems they didn't experience before taking medication.

I'm thinking about going off my meds for a week or so and seeing how I feel.
    I notice when I awake in the morning I feel fine but within 2 to 3 hours of taking my pill it starts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
    Re: Anyone attribute digestive problems to their medication????

Depends on the medication and the person.....

There is lactose in Synthroid and Thyrolar2.......that gives some people indigestion and diarrhea..... I take Armour and have no problem.

Oleander

Old 11-23-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks Oleander, I don't think I'm lactose intolerant but I'm kinda thinking maybe the fillers are giving me problems.

I'm going to talk to my doctor about getting on Armour instead of this synthetic stuff.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I've had heartburn issues almost forever. I can't attribute it directly to thyroid med. I can say it's gotten worse during the time I've been taking it, but I think it has more to do with age and weight gain.

I hate taking antacids constantly, especially in the morning soon after my Armour, as it would interfere with absorption. And I don't want to take prescription acid inhibitors. One trick I've learned is that chewing gum almost immediately relieves the heartburn. Saliva contains digestive enzymes, and chewing gum generates more saliva. Would be curious to know if you give it a try and it helps.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks Midwest1

Always interested and hoping for your input.

I'll give the gum a try and let you know how I do with it.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I cannot chew any gum that is sugar free or that contails Sorbitol or I will have lower GI upset almost immediately..........but regular gum works well for me.

Oleander

Old 11-26-2008, 07:30 AM   #7
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oleander53 View Post
    I cannot chew any gum that is sugar free or that contails Sorbitol or I will have lower GI upset almost immediately..........but regular gum works well for me.

Oleander
    I can relate to that Oleander. I'm now trying to find a gum that does not contain aspartame and is affordable. I'm highly highly sensitive to that stuff - gives me a horrible headache that NO pain reliever will challenge. Makes me feel like I've been injected with poison.

If anyone knows of a gum that doesn't contain aspartame and where I can get it please let me know. Haven't checked on juicy fruit, spearmint, etc. yet from Wrigley but, I know the rest of their gums contain it. I stood at counter in CVS yesterday for about 30 minutes reading labels and virtually every gum I picked up contains it.

I can't believe how vast the variety of gums are now. I'm OLD school we had Beechnut, Juicy Fruit, Spearmint, Dentyne, and 2 or 3 more. Now they have hundreds. When it came to cough drops we had Smith Brothers (Licorice or Cherry) and Ludens. lol

Old 11-26-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
    TV in RV
    (female)

TV in RV HB User

We're talking about a hormone thats controls the metabiolic activity of every cell of the body and one of the ways that this is seen clinacally is in poor digestion. So if your friends levels were out of range then there is a possibility that it wasn't the medicine but his actual state of health. Levothyroxine is pure hormone with fillers. It is one of the few medications that have no side effects other than what can happen to you when you're hormones are to high or low. An overdose or underdose will cause side effects. I'm not neccesarily suggesting that levothyroxine doesn't cause heartburn, this could be a side effect that it hasn't been stated by the FDA yet (which wouldn't suprise me bcause the FDA has been having trouble lately). I'm just saying that an unstable thyroid will cause nausia as I have been experiencing for the last 5 years before I started the medication and every time that my levels go out of range.

About the aspartame. Did you guys know that there has been tones of research on this chemical since the begining of 2008? I've been following the studies on a very reputable website. A website that doctors and dieticians refer to in order to get what they consider "legit" info. Anyways three studies suggest that aspartame turns into a formaldehyde like chemical when it hits the blood stream. And two more studies say that the presence of this chemical inhibits the action of enzymes in the brain. One of the more inportant is the inaction of choline which is very is neccesay for cognitive function. The brain is one huge enzyme machine. Don't mess with the machine!

Old 11-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TV in RV View Post
    About the aspartame. Did you guys know that there has been tones of research on this chemical since the begining of 2008? I've been following the studies on a very reputable website. A website that doctors and dieticians refer to in order to get what they consider "legit" info. Anyways three studies suggest that aspartame turns into a formaldehyde like chemical when it hits the blood stream. And two more studies say that the presence of this chemical inhibits the action of enzymes in the brain. One of the more inportant is the inaction of choline which is very is neccesay for cognitive function. The brain is one huge enzyme machine. Don't mess with the machine!

Aspartame is so dangerous to our systems I can't believe they allow it any our foods. Many countries don't allow it at all. I know that it is in diet soft drinks and if those drinks reach 80 degrees in temp that the aspartame converts to formaldehyde. I used to work for a Coca Cola mfg. plant many years ago as the production manager and I can promise you those drinks set on those trucks in hot 90 degree heat in the summer and reach that temp. They also set in un-air conditioned warehouses until loaded on trucks for many months sometimes and can get hot enough to convert also. Diet soft drinks are dangerouse doesn't matter if its in the winter or not. The drinks could have been in the warehouse since the summer. If I chew gum with aspartame my brain literally feels like someone injected poison into it. It's not like any headache you normally would experience. It's actually more like a brain ache for me. It takes two or 3 days to go away. It usually takes about 3 to 4 hours after consuming it for me to experience the pain.

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 11-26-2008 at 07:58 PM.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
    TV in RV
    (female)

TV in RV HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barbara_Ann View Post
    I know that it is in diet soft drinks and if those drinks reach 80 degrees in temp that the aspartame converts to formaldehyde. I used to work for a Coca Cola mfg. plant many years ago as the production manager and I can promise you those drinks set on those trucks in hot 90 degree heat in the summer and reach that temp. They also set in un-air conditioned warehouses until loaded on trucks for many months sometimes and can get hot enough to convert also.
    Come on F.D.(freaking)A. I wonder how much Coca Cola pays the FDA in tax right offs and endorsements every year.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:27 AM   #11
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I tell young & older people about that where I work while in our breakroom and they just chug them down anyway. They don't lose weight and they're poisioning themselves. I just scratched my head bewildered ??????

As a matter of fact I don't recall anyone giving up diet coke that I've explained that to. Actually, it's "any" diet drink that contains aspartame.

The side effects can vary depending on the person. For me personally and thank God, my symptom is a pounding headache that I notice within a matter of appx. 2 to 4 afterwards that is unbearable and does not feel like other headaches. People can experience symptoms that are more subtle but just as damaging and they aren't making the connection. Even Mexico doesn't allow it in their food products. Countries that have governments that we Americans see as not so good to their citizens do not allow it in their food products. What does that say? Geeeesh.

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 11-27-2008 at 07:32 AM.

Closed Thread