It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• "hypo hell"....when should it start?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-24-2008, 05:35 AM   #1
    mmmcoffee
    (female)

mmmcoffee HB User
    "hypo hell"....when should it start?

Hello all. After my TT, I was on 2 wks 125mcg levothyroxine, then 2 wks 50mcg cytomel. This is the start of 2nd week with no meds and on LID. From what I've read, I should really feel horrible. Well, I'm tired, but I've always been tired. But, I don't feel that bad. I must admit, the brain fog is there, but has been since my surgery. It does get worse off and on. For the first time EVER last week, I went to refill the sugar bowl and dumped half the bag of sugar into my coffee without even realizing it and stopping myself! Ok, the reaction time once I realized what I was doing wasn't as fast as it should have been, true.

It's like I keep waiting for the proverbial axe to fall and wake up one day not even wanting to get up, feeling so bad I don't want to do ANYTHING. But it hasn't happend. Is it because of the meds I took? Still in my system? Am I just lucky, or will it come on this week? (just in time for turkey day, my luck...lol)

My husband did notice that my face is getting a little puffy. My eyes do feel strange, almost 'fat' some days. But it only lasts a little while. No weight gain or loss. I walk twice a day, so my legs are getting thinner, but my belly hasn't gone down any.

My question is when/if will the hypo hell I've read about hit? Can anyone give their insight? How did it hit you? Did you go through it also? Is the worst time going to be after the RAI? Any info would be great. Thanks.

mmmcoffee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2008, 05:42 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: "hypo hell"....when should it start?

The reason I went through hypo hell was because after my tt, I had no medication for 6 weeks.....

in your case, you have been managed very well, you are only hypo for 2-3 weeks, minimal time, and sometimes it takes way more time to feel yucko, each person is different. I didn't feel bad until about week four, and then I didn't feel horrid until the week of my rai.

You will probably "feel it" when you have your treatment, and then, you will be back on meds soon after that.....good luck!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:11 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Dito on Reece's advice.

2 week adjustment windows do not allow your body to fall into the hypoT Hades pit. While your blood equilibrium may be in the PIT, your body hasn't woken to the fact yet. It normally takes 4-6 weeks to hit the proverbial pit bottom.

The T4 to T3 down shift was well done and it seems like you were treated appropriately. Hopefully your meddication optimization will go as fluidly. My Aunt was put on meds the day after her TT. She was put of 50 mcgs of T4 and ramped in week increments to 100 mcgs. Then they tried to optimize her in 4 week increments. This didn't work her T3 levels were too low. So Armour was tested.. pure Armour didn't work.. too much T3 in the end. SO they mixed the two and came up with the perfect ratio for her.. 1 grain of Armour and 75 mcgs of T4. It will take time but hopefully you will get to your optimal place quickly as well.

MG

Old 11-25-2008, 02:46 AM   #4
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

I found this post rather amusing. I was kind of wondering who said that YOU would have to go thru hypo hell??? I will grant that for some people, hypo is hell. Those are the people who post to boards and talk about their experience. Now why in the world, would anyone who felt good and had a smooth experience with their TT and RAI seek out a board to post their wonderful experience?

Just putting in my little two cents as a hyper. I was layed critically hypo on anti-thyroid meds one time. Ok, I will admit I felt a little odd. My chin tingled some, I was a little tired and my wrists hurt. I'd say that I have felt better in my life but I was able to continue to function without too much difficulty. Would I consider it to have been hell? No.

Best of luck. I hope you continue to have smooth sailing.

Last edited by accessn12; 11-25-2008 at 02:48 AM.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:44 AM   #5
    lynnybug55
    (female)

lynnybug55 HB User

I'm glad you're having a good experience! Thanks for letting us know that this doesn't have to be hell!

Old 11-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
    mmmcoffee
    (female)

mmmcoffee HB User

I have not had my RAI yet. I am not having a 'good' experience. I guess you could call it okay, compared to some I have read about. No, 4 days in hosp with hypocalcemia, not able to do anything like eat would not be what I call good. Granted, it has not been as bad as some I have read. I was asking. I was told (by others and by Dr) that I would probably have at least 2 weeks of feeling horrible. I was just trying to get an idea of when, like before the RAI while off meds, or after the RAI. This is all new to me. I try to plan things. I need to plan what to do with my kids if I'm not up to running them around and things.

Yes, I'm aware that some have had harder times, others probably better. I am by no means 100% and have not been since probably before my TT. Hopefully there is an end in sight. Maybe by Christmas I'll feel better.

No, this is no pleasant vacation, but I'm sure it could be worse. I am thankful that it isn't.

mmmcoffee

Closed Thread