It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Confused about Lab Results????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-24-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
    ErinSunshine7
    (female)

ErinSunshine7 HB User
    Confused about Lab Results????

Hello everyone, I am new here. I have hypothyroidism and was on 125mcg of Synthroid. I had my labs done back in September and my TSH came back at 3.82 so my Endo raised my Synthroid to 150mcg. I just had my labs repeated again after being on the new dose for 6 weeks and my TSH came back at 5.97! How can this be? How can my TSH go up after being on a higher dose? I took the medicine every single day, and on an empty stomach. Now, when I went to get my labs, I got them done first thing in the morning, and I didn't take my pill before I left because I ran out of the house, but still missing 1 pill can't make your TSH go up that high...so now I am on 175mcg of Synthroid and am just really confused how I got to this point...can anyone help me? Also, I tested postive for Hashimoto's.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2008, 04:14 AM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: Confused about Lab Results????

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ErinSunshine7 View Post
    Also, I tested postive for Hashimoto's.
    Hi ya That's probably the cause - over time as Hashi's destroys your thyroid the HypoT gets worse and you need more meds. At one point I had to double my dose from 87,5 to 175 in just 4 months - and it still wasn't enough (took T3 along at that point).

Have you taken your meds before labs - in the future don't - you'll get accurate results without meds (this should've been told in the beginning ) Also TSH is not enough to determine if your medication is right (if it's high then you know you need more meds but when it comes down it becomes less meaningful) - you need to know your FT4 and often FT3 too.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 11-25-2008 at 04:15 AM.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
    ErinSunshine7
    (female)

ErinSunshine7 HB User

Hello, I am just finding out that I should not be taking medicine before labs. The dr.'s have never told me this before. They say that you can test TSH under any conditions. However, I see that that is not the case.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

It sounds like your MD is only testing your TSH? If so, taking your med before the blood draw won't matter much. Synthroid - or any other T4 med - would affect only your free T4 level.

Your TSH may be changing, but that doesn't necessarily mean your actual thyroid hormone levels are. To get the most accurate picture of what's going on, you should be having your free levels of T4 and T3 tested. They are the levels that matter most, but most MDs don't accept that fact.

Closed Thread