It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• How many dosage changes before your thyroid was stable?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-26-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
    TV in RV
    (female)

TV in RV HB User
    How many dosage changes before your thyroid was stable?

I'm trying to gain some perspective here. What was your experience? For me, it's been 2 1/2 years now since starting synthroid and I have raised my presciptive dose 6 times. Typicaly how much longer and how many more changes before I get well?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
    calail
    (female)

calail HB User
    Re: How many dosage changes before your thyroid was stable?

oooh - i just hated to read your note. i was diagnosed the first week of October, and am disappointed that i'm not feeling better quicker.

i think doctors have very different ways of determining the 'correct' dosage. while many start out with nearly the lowest Rx of T4 [ie: 50mcg] and work up based on test results, i've read of others who consider a "full replacement dose" [what a person your age/size would require] as the right starting point.

i sure hope i don't have to wait 2+ years before i start feeling better!

Old 11-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

TV-Same story here! It has been about 2 and a half years and still not stable. I attribute this to
    -hashi's erratic destruction of thyroid
    -having to do iron supplements to raise ferritin (this blocks synthroid for me even when taken 12 hrs. after synthroid-so synthroid has to be raised while on supplemental iron and decreased when I decrease/stop supplemental iron)
    -starting hrt-also has an effect on the synthroid dose --the dose of synthroid has to be increased
    Are you starting/stopping any supplements oir meds that interfere with synthroid absorption? And, then there are the hormonal changes with decreasing (or increasing if starting hrt) estrogen. All these factors come into play. I have also heard from an endo that illnesses could affect absorption of synthroid and thus effect levels. And do you have hashi's? Thyroid for Dummies has a good section on meds/supplements that will affect thyroid functioning and synthroid absorption. You might want to check that out and see if there is something you are taking or have taken that is on the list.
    It seems for some of us this will just be the way it is. I too have read about people here who seem to just have just a short time working out the dose and then get stabilized....that though is definitely not my experience.
    So, just know that you are not alone

Old 11-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

It took me 7 dose changes - 5 increases, 1 decrease, 1 increase - and 1 year's time to get optimized.

There are too many variables in the process for you to compare yourself to anyone else, though. You could have more than one or different comorbid conditions than the rest of us; you may not be taking the best brand of hormone for your body; your MD may be too conservative in dosing, or he/she may not know that TSH isn't the right level to keep track of.

Closed Thread