It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Has anyone ever felt normal on Thyroid meds?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
    wdiguy
    (male)

wdiguy HB User
    Has anyone ever felt normal on Thyroid meds?

I am just frustrated with hypothyroidism. I have never not once felt normal in the past 4 years playing around with this stuff. My very first sign of going to the doctors was unrefreshed sleep and feel achey. Has anyone got rid of the unrefreshed sleep that they previously had? I just got my dose upped to 88mcg to hopefully get my free t3 and free t4 in the 50%-75% range. I just feel I will never be back to my oldself again. Its been way to long. Im a 26 old male and had this at 22.... what a crock of shhhhhhhhh. I also notice when I eat sometimes it makes me so tired... does anyone have that with hypo?

Thanks,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
    aussiejenni
    (female)

aussiejenni HB User
    Re: Has anyone ever felt normal on Thyroid meds?

Hopefully as you get your dosage right and FT4 and FT3 where they are supposed to be you will feel normal again; it is not nice to read of such a young person as yourself struggling with this over four years. I am yet to feel better after my thyroidectomy two years ago. Goodluck and I do hope you will find good health soon.
    Take care
    Aussiejenni

Old 11-28-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I noticed you said you feel tired after you eat?

I would like to make a suggestion to you. You need to ask your Doctor for a 2 hour fasting glucose and Insulin test......it is important to have the 2 hour not just a fasting.

I have been on thyroid medication for a little over 2 years. I still felt tired and low energy. I wanted to nap during the day especially after I ate. Truth is I could sleep just about anywhere anytime.......everything seemed like a chore.

My Endo recommended I have the 2 hour test due to my symptoms.........my blood sugars were fine .........my fasting insulin was normal but my 2 hour???? it was almost 5 times higher than it should have been... I have been on medication now for 6 months. Janumet twice a day for Insulin resistance. I did not want to go on it.......I have to tell you I feel great and like my old self again. I can also eat anything I want without gaining weight. No fatigue and no napping during the day. I was on plain Metformin first but could not tolerate it now I am on Janumet.......It works well for me.

So get your blood insulin checked out but remember do not just get a fasting test get a 2 hour.

You are focusing on your thryoid and it could be something else. I feel great now........I am on my thryoid meds and Insulin resistance meds......I also found out I have a milk allergy???? I was floored but my stomach problems are gone now that I avoid dairy.........so I think it can be several things making a person feel bad.

I hope this helps you in some way..........I am sorry you are feeling not yourself......I so have been there..........

Oleander

Old 11-29-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I'm fine ... "normal". You have to remember that this is a forum for people with problems to sort things out. You won't find many "normals" here, so that shouldn't discourage you.

I'm with Oleander. I don't think it's totally your thyroid, and you should be exploring issues related to diet, blood sugar, vitamin deficiencies, etc.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
    kindspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

I agree with the others...the thyroid for some, is the ticket, but for us who still suffer other issues are at hand. For me, dhea is helping, plus just added small dose of t-3. My endo refused to check further, so went holistic. Hormones, if off, can cascade to so many things. Getting the puzzle together is tricky, but can be done. Get a full hormone panel done, yes, glucose fasting, 2hrs a good idea! I just knew there was a piece missing and hoping this new regime is my ticket!! (labs put my picture clear to what was low)I've had some pretty good days lately, sleep is still an issue but better. Plus, getting of any addictive meds can be a true life saver, benzo's/ad's.
    Hysterectomy

Old 11-30-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
    hypoT
    Inactive
    (female)

hypoT HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wdiguy View Post
    I am just frustrated with hypothyroidism. I have never not once felt normal in the past 4 years playing around with this stuff. My very first sign of going to the doctors was unrefreshed sleep and feel achey. Has anyone got rid of the unrefreshed sleep that they previously had? I just got my dose upped to 88mcg to hopefully get my free t3 and free t4 in the 50%-75% range. I just feel I will never be back to my oldself again. Its been way to long. Im a 26 old male and had this at 22.... what a crock of shhhhhhhhh. I also notice when I eat sometimes it makes me so tired... does anyone have that with hypo?

Thanks,
    I feel your pain. I am 21 and have been dealing with this for 3 years, just diagnosed with Hashimoto's this month...finally.

When I went on armor, I noticed that I got really sleepy (like I would almost fall asleep standing up at work) after eating. I also would sleep shallowly and wake up exhausted.

I found that those effects lessened when I upped my T3 : T4 ratio (basically I went off armor onto pure T3 which is not advised, but I feel better and plan to add in a little synthetic T4 soon). As soon as I upped my T3, I slept less, but I slept well and woke up feeling like I had actually slept.

Personally, I feel great with a large amount of T3 as opposed to T4...maybe that's common for young ppl, Idk. If you are thinking of adding more T3, make sure you get EXTENDED RELEASE (in E4M) from a compounding pharmacy and take it every 12hrs.

In the mean time, eating smaller meals with mainly lean meat and vegetables helped reduce the after-meal crashes. Also, resistance exercise helped too.

I am going to get a timed-glucose test soon to check if I have reactive hypoglycemia/insulin resistance. Apparently, those are common in hypo people. Basically, the test involves shooting you up with glucose and taking your blood periodically over a few hours to see how your sugar levels fluctuate. I think my levels spike then drop too low. Now "too low" for me seems to be anything below 75, even though 70-99 is "normal." I tend to feel good around 85.

Maybe you should get checked out for that too.

Good luck and sorry you have to deal with this so young.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
    wdiguy
    (male)

wdiguy HB User

Thanks for the responses. I dont know how this thread got passed me but as far as checking everything else out. Well its pretty much been done. Ive had 3 GTT ( Glucose Tolerance Test) Which shows my blood sugar is fine and doing what it should before and after I eat. Vitamin defeciencies checked and there fine. Pretty much I have check everything out possible. I mean EVERYTHING from sleep studies to lyme to colonoscopy's to testosterone levels and all in between. I guess I need to just see if I need an adjustment on my free T's when they come back. Thanks again, appreciate the help.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
    wdiguy
    (male)

wdiguy HB User

Ive seen them on blood work before which always was normal. However I will have them check it again next appt.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:24 AM   #9
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

It is rare they order the 2 or 3 hour insulin because Doctors here are not educated on it...so check to make sure they do that along with the blood sugar...it is the insulin problem that makes us feel so crappy. worth checking out.

Also you mentioned achiness.......Armour did help me with that. I forgot that was one thing I did notice when I started taking it that changed immediately was my soreness went away. I think my Doc at the time said it had something to do with T1???? Cannot be sure.

I hope you get some answers.....I is so terrible not to feel good....I hope this New Year brings you some answers.........O

Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
    macs4life06
    (female)

macs4life06 HB User

I know how you feel wdiguy. I am also mid-20s. Diagnosed as hypothyroid 6 years ago. Since then I have not felt the same. It is very frustrating to deal with this at such a young age. I feel like I am wasting some of the best years of my life.

However, some people do feel normal on thyroid meds. One of my best friends is hypo, takes 100 mcgs of Synthroid & is PERFECTLY FINE! I wish we could all have it so easy. In the mean time, I am turning to this board for help. Some of the people here are more knowledgeable than most doctors about hypothyroidism. I wish I could find the right doctor & medicine/dose.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:23 AM   #11
    searich
    Inactive
    (male)

searich HB User

I agree with the others!!!!

Closed Thread