It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• what to expect...thyroid surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
    alieb808
    (female)

alieb808 HB User
    what to expect...thyroid surgery

Hi Everyone!
    I am VERY new to this site, but I am soo relieved to have found it. I am scheduled to have surgery this coming Tuesday and am ashamed to admit I am absolutely terrified. I don't know if I'm more afraid of anesthesia more than anything. I am due to have my left thyroid removed because of a nodule(cold). I have "low normal" thyroid hormone levels. I'm not sure if I even said that correctly, this is all still new to me. I am just wondering what to expect directly after surgery; regarding pain, discomfort, and of course how soon til I'll be back at work and gym. Thank you to those who keep sharing their stories, my husband doesn't quite understand what I'm going through. I don't think he understands how important the thyroid actually is.
    Sincerely,
    alieb808

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2008, 01:37 AM   #2
    KrissyMae18
    (female)

KrissyMae18 HB User
    Re: what to expect...thyroid surgery

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I can tell you how it went for me. I had my thyroid totally removed on the 18th of November due to "suspicious nodules". I too was nervous about the anesthesia, but had absolutely no problems whatsoever. I told them I was nervous about getting sick from it and they put something in my IV before surgery to counteract that. I had no problems and was actually hungry a couple of hours after I woke up, lol. I know that everyone is different, but I didn't even need pain medication while in the hospital. It just never hurt enough to require any for me. I was in overnight but you may be going home the same day since your not having the whole thyroid removed. All in all it was a pretty easy procedure. I spent a couple of days just laying down and relaxing and just slowly got moving around more. I actually went and got a pedicure 4 days after the surgery and I feel fine now. I didn't have a HUGE appetite for a while, but I was able to eat pretty normally. The only thing I've been having anxiety over is the swelling around the incision. But I've been told it's normal and will go away within a month or so. Don't worry, I'm sure when the time comes for you it will be absolutely fine. I wish you tons of luck and a very speedy recovery...Keep us posted on how you're doing

Old 11-30-2008, 06:22 AM   #3
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Mine didn't hurt either----didn't need pain meds, just some tylenol pm (over the counter) to help me sleep more comfortably. It's kind of like having a sore throat.

Make sure to not keep yourself stiff after the surgery, twist your head from side to side sometimes. Have some soft foods around for the first day (like ice cream!) in case your throat is sore.

I was up and about within an hour or so after my surgery. It's really something that can be done outpatient, but they usually keep you overnight to monitor your calcium.

I worked from home, but I could have gone to an office within a couple of days, but I tired very very easily. I was driving by day 4. You would have to ask your surgeon about the gym, it depends upon what you do, and how you heal.

Good luck, you will be fine, and you can live a long healthy life without a thyroid.

Last edited by Reece; 11-30-2008 at 06:23 AM.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #4
    alieb808
    (female)

alieb808 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KrissyMae18 View Post
    Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I can tell you how it went for me. I had my thyroid totally removed on the 18th of November due to "suspicious nodules". I too was nervous about the anesthesia, but had absolutely no problems whatsoever. I told them I was nervous about getting sick from it and they put something in my IV before surgery to counteract that. I had no problems and was actually hungry a couple of hours after I woke up, lol. I know that everyone is different, but I didn't even need pain medication while in the hospital. It just never hurt enough to require any for me. I was in overnight but you may be going home the same day since your not having the whole thyroid removed. All in all it was a pretty easy procedure. I spent a couple of days just laying down and relaxing and just slowly got moving around more. I actually went and got a pedicure 4 days after the surgery and I feel fine now. I didn't have a HUGE appetite for a while, but I was able to eat pretty normally. The only thing I've been having anxiety over is the swelling around the incision. But I've been told it's normal and will go away within a month or so. Don't worry, I'm sure when the time comes for you it will be absolutely fine. I wish you tons of luck and a very speedy recovery...Keep us posted on how you're doing
    thank you so much for responding! It does help a lot to hear from others who have had this done. Everyone I speak to had no idea the thyroid could be so complicated, including me! I will definitely post how things are after surgery. Thanks for the support!

Old 11-30-2008, 07:49 AM   #5
    alieb808
    (female)

alieb808 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reece View Post
    Mine didn't hurt either----didn't need pain meds, just some tylenol pm (over the counter) to help me sleep more comfortably. It's kind of like having a sore throat.

Make sure to not keep yourself stiff after the surgery, twist your head from side to side sometimes. Have some soft foods around for the first day (like ice cream!) in case your throat is sore.

I was up and about within an hour or so after my surgery. It's really something that can be done outpatient, but they usually keep you overnight to monitor your calcium.

I worked from home, but I could have gone to an office within a couple of days, but I tired very very easily. I was driving by day 4. You would have to ask your surgeon about the gym, it depends upon what you do, and how you heal.

Good luck, you will be fine, and you can live a long healthy life without a thyroid.
    Dear Reece,
    Thank you so so much for the support and well wishes. All the positive post-op responses are giving me a LOT more courage and optimism. Truly, I am able to relax a little better now. LOL...thanks again...

Old 11-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
    marriot
    Veteran
    (female)

marriot HB User

I had a total thyroidectomy in April and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be. The recovery was okay. The worst part were the drains under the incision. Welcome any pain relief that's offered to you by the doctors and nurses, and take any TLC your family and friends can give after the surgery. Expect to do a lot of laying about for a week or so and then you'll have to gently get back to real life. But I'm happy to report that the whole experience was fine (mostly just inconvenient - I had a pair of one year olds at the time!). Best of luck to you!

Old 11-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
    REE77
    (female)

REE77 HB User

I am also having surgery Tues and can totally relate to your fears , I am sure we will do well good luck to you.. Thank God for this site huh? I have the exact thing nodule on left side scheduled for partial thyroidectomy.. biopsy was inconclusive so removing to be sure.

Last edited by REE77; 11-30-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
    alieb808
    (female)

alieb808 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CHJH View Post
    I had a total thyroidectomy in April and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be. The recovery was okay. The worst part were the drains under the incision. Welcome any pain relief that's offered to you by the doctors and nurses, and take any TLC your family and friends can give after the surgery. Expect to do a lot of laying about for a week or so and then you'll have to gently get back to real life. But I'm happy to report that the whole experience was fine (mostly just inconvenient - I had a pair of one year olds at the time!). Best of luck to you!
    thanks for the response and support! I am so glad to hear about everyone's experiences. It helps a LOT to my sanity! I am feeling so much more confident, courageous and optimistic! EVen if it does only last me til the night before! LOL...I feel a lot more in control (even though realistically I"m not), and I feel more knowledgeable thanks to everyone's input!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #9
    alieb808
    (female)

alieb808 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by REE77 View Post
    I am also having surgery Tues and can totally relate to your fears , I am sure we will do well good luck to you.. Thank God for this site huh? I have the exact thing nodule on left side scheduled for partial thyroidectomy.. biopsy was inconclusive so removing to be sure.
    GOOD LUCK to you too!! We're on total oppsite ends of the states, but I'll know someone in New York is going thru the same thing as me! Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery and results! And yes, thank God for this site. I was almost losing my mind with last minute fears!!

Old 12-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #10
    REE77
    (female)

REE77 HB User

Good luck to you tomorrow also. I just cant wait until its over. I will be thinking of you, wishing you well from NY

Old 12-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #11
    alieb808
    (female)

alieb808 HB User

Thanks to everyone's support and well wishes! It is the 2nd day or 3rd? day recovery. I'm feeling better. Surgery went well, didn't need to have a drain, and calcium levels were good. I don't go for blood work until next wednesday, and results and consult w/doc on thursday. I couldn't have stayed sane without this message board. I was a total nervous wreck! haha...Thanks to all, and I hope your surgery went well NY!! take care

Old 12-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
    Lori123
    Veteran
    (female)

Lori123 HB User

Hi,
    I was just reading your post. Glad everything went well for you. Just rest and take it easy for awhile. It isn't as bad as our minds let us think, thank goodness!! Glad you are doing well!
    Take care,
    Lori

Old 12-06-2008, 07:24 AM   #13
    RMB
    (female)

RMB HB User

Glad you are doing well...just take care of yourself and concentrate on a speedy recovery...

Take care...
    RMB

Closed Thread