It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• diagnosed with hashimotos and no meds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
    prayin4help
    (female)

prayin4help HB User
    diagnosed with hashimotos and no meds

I was diagnosed a month ago with Hashimotos, and the endo took me off of all thyroid meds. I have had previous problems with hypothyroidism, but he says I am now hyper. I am having horrible problems with tiredness, fatigue, reflux, anxiety, moodiness, and just flat out miserableness. Is this normal to take you completely off all thyroid meds?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: diagnosed with hashimotos and no meds

I know some people that have been really HypoT but turned HyperT over time - sometimes taking off HypoT meds is enough and sometimes one might need even HyperT meds for awhile. If you have Hashi's you'll be back on HypoT meds sooner or later.

First thing you need to do is to find out what your labs have said (numbers and ranges please ) and what changes in your medication have been made based on them.

And how do you feel about these symptoms? - are they different from your HypoT symptoms (also pointing towards HyperT?)

Last edited by FinnMaid; 11-30-2008 at 10:26 AM.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #3
    prayin4help
    (female)

prayin4help HB User

Of course, the endo did not give me a copy of my labs, nor did he give them to my gp. My gp is running new tests to see where I am now, so we can have actual numbers. I was at least able to function before he took me off my levothyroxine. Now I just feel like doing absolutely nothing. I cry all of the time, or I want to kill someone. It is not pleasant.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Hope you've not been taken off meds just because your TSH was low on medication - if that was the case I seriously suggest you find another doctor . And you have the right to get copies of your lab results - ask the doctor's office. (I also had those "killing someone" thoughts at some point when HypoT - REALLY unpleasant )

Last edited by FinnMaid; 11-30-2008 at 12:08 PM.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

You poor thing.......I am so sorry you feel this way. Let us know those labs as soon as you get them........I hope he had a good reason for this......My TSH is undetectable because I am being suppressed......My Endo is familiar with this treatment.

Hang in there ...........Oleander

Old 12-02-2008, 06:56 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

What were your lab results:

TSH Level (range)
    Ft3 Level (range)
    Ft4 Level (range)

If your Endo is just testing TSH and T4 and not looking at the T3 levels.. well he needs to stick with treating diabetics. You should not be taken off meds when hyperT.. just reduced in concentration. My TSH has not been above 0.6 since starting meds and my FT levels are in the pits. I went hyperthyroid for one month and just decreased my meds by 25 mcgs. With in a month I was able to go back up the 25 mcgs and now I have increased another 25 mcgs. My TSH means squat. I have to go by my Fts. My adrenal glands and pituitary gland are mucked up and do not work properly. As a result my TSH testing is a waste of blood, vial and processing fees.

Make sure your MD is keeping you optimal and not fixating on the TSH. Get a copy of your labs and post the levels and ranges here so we can make more educated recommendations on treatment and care.\

MG

Old 12-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
    Bree 1905
    (female)

Bree 1905 HB User

I've been treated for hypo and last summer became hyper. My GP started to reduce my Synthroid by 0.25 at a time and then I became hypo or Hashimotos again. I'm still feeling very tired and depressed and I guess I will be until I get the numbers right again. My TSH was 7.12 the last time I had it checked.
    I had to push him for more frequent blood testing as he wanted me to wait two months. I'll be going in next week which will be 4 weeks.
    I hope you will be feeling better soon.
    Bree

Old 12-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
    prayin4help
    (female)

prayin4help HB User

T3 uptake 26 reference range 22-35
    T4 (thyroxine) total 13 ref. range 4.5-12.5
    Free T4 index 3.4 ref. range 1.4-3.8
    TSH 3rd gen. 2.51

Okay, here is what the results showed on 11/25 after being off all thyroid meds for one month. I have no clue as to what this means, etc. I am supposed to have it checked again in January if I have not killed someone or been killed by someone by that time. Have you guys had extreme digestion problems with this stuff??? I am also starting to retain fluids.

Last edited by prayin4help; 12-04-2008 at 09:13 AM.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Ewww! Only the TSH 3rd Gen is top of the line.

T3 Uptake show you have normal uptake and transport of T4 in your system.

TT4 (This has a 20% error minimum if you are on BCs or hormone supplemention the error increases) It shows you to be 106% of normal range. This should be flagged as hyperT. But if you are 20% inflated.. you may actually be around 86%.

FTI (Just another way to measure TT4 *snort*) 83% of normal.

TSh 3rd Gen indicates you are hypothyroid. You need additional ACCURATE testing.

You need an Free t3 and Free T4 run. You also should get a RT3 run at the same time. Your testing was subpar at best in my opinion. The results show such descrepancies that retesting should have been manditory.

MG

Old 12-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #10
    prayin4help
    (female)

prayin4help HB User

now this was what my regular doc did as the endo does not want to test anything again until January. I do not have the results from his first round of tests only the ones from my regular physician.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #11
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

See if your GP is willing to run the FT3 and FT4 for you. Your Endo can not with hold your records and labs from you. They must release a copy to you if you request it.

MG

Old 01-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #12
    prayin4help
    (female)

prayin4help HB User

Went to a new Endo, and he did all kinds of tests the day I was there. Did an ultra sound, biopsy, and blood work. I do have Hashimotos with lots of irregular spots on my thyroid. One of which he was concerned about, so he biopsied it. Only Hashimotos showed up. Praise God. Just got results from his office. They did not send all of blood work, so I will ask for that, but the TSH was 3.1, total thyroxine was 14.1 with t3 update of 25%. The thryoid peroxidase antibodies was elevated. He said it should be less than 35, and mine was 112. He also performed a fasting gastrin test that was elevated, so he wants me to get off of some of my stomach meds and retest in two weeks. He said that any TSH is enough to cause the thyroid gland affected with hashimotos to grow larger, so he wants to treat with Levoxyl .125 mg. and see him again in 6 months. I at least feel like he is trying to do something as I have not felt that way since the last person I saw. Have been off meds since Oct., and boy do I feel horrible. Will start meds tomorrow. Any suggestions as far as what the tests showed?

Old 01-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #13
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

125 mcgs is a huge amount of meds to start your medication with. I suggest you start with a 1/4 or of a pill and increase the dose during the next weeks.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 01-17-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #14
    prayin4help
    (female)

prayin4help HB User

I was wondering as I was only on .50 when they took me off of it in Oct. What really scares me is that they are going to take me off all stomach meds. The reflux has been horrible with the meds. I hate to think what it will be like without them. UGH! All I am praying for is that once back on meds for thyroid, the stomach will even out. Between the stomach and the neck, jaw, and ear pains, I am about ready to scream. The neck, jaw, and ear have been worse since they biopsied thyroid.

Closed Thread