It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• 5 months after RAI...and I'm pregnant...anyone else have this experience?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
    marriot
    Veteran
    (female)

marriot HB User
    5 months after RAI...and I'm pregnant...anyone else have this experience?

I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease last year and Thyroid cancer in February (what a coincidence!). I had my thyroid out at the end of April and I had RAI in June. I was told to wait 6 months before becoming pregnant, but I didn't give it much thought, since I have 20-month-old twin boys and my husband is technically infertile (my boys were conceived by IVF). I went on the pill, but my prescription ran out in November and my annual physical isn't until December (that's when I'd get more pills). I didn't worry too much because of our fertility issues and the fact that I have twin toddlers - not too much time for romance! But crazily enough, I just took a pregnancy test and it's positive. I know I conceived 5 months after my RAI therapy...which is technically too soon. I've just done a bunch of online research and I don't think it's going to be much of a problem, since a baby's thyroid doesn't develop until 10-12 weeks along. But...of course there is always that worry. I am so happy to be pregnant because we faced years of infertility before my boys were born and weren't sure it would ever happen again for us. But the timing is scaring me. Anyone else in this situation or have any similar experiences? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
    Re: 5 months after RAI...and I'm pregnant...anyone else have this experience?

Well Congratulations..........!!!!!!!!

I would check with your Reproductive Endocrinologist who did your IVF for your twins......he could answer your questions since that is his field of reproduction...... I am sure you are going to be fine...

Keep us posted on how is goes..... that is exciting....miracle baby.

My twins are 20 by the way.........they are in college.Start SAVING YOUR MONEY !!! Are you familiar with GIFT? I was a pioneer. My Husband had zero motility.

Oleander

Old 12-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Congratulations!

I would also call the nuclear med. facility that did your treatment and ask them. I think they always add time on---like they say 6 months when it needs to be 3-4 months.....hopefully everything will be great!

Old 12-02-2008, 07:02 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

SIX MONTHS? My Endo, IM, MFM, and 2 high risk OBs, the MSDS and pathology sources for RAI thyroid ablasion tell me a patient should wait 2 years before becoming pregnant after an RAI treatment to guarantee no RAI complications.

I agree with Reece that you should call the nuclear medicine facilities and check with them on follow up treatment and care. Make sure that you stress that you are pregnant and want to know the reason why you are getting mixed information on safe pregnancy time frames. The medical center that did your treatment will know HOW much and the particular isotope solution and half life used. This will allow them to give you the best estimate on safe purging of all excess radioactive iodine from your system.

MG

Old 12-02-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Just remember whatever they tell you they are covering THEIR tails....they have very strict legal policies in the hospital about these situations.. They are going to stick firmly to what that policy says and not bend from it. Legally they cannot tell you anything else........so ask them but seek out a Reproductive Endo or a High Risk OBGYN........they know the risks. Get everyone's opinion...

Let us know what you find out......... Oleander

Old 12-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
    MathTeach1
    (female)

MathTeach1 HB User

The paperwork I just got on Friday, before my RAI, specifically states "at least six months", as did the information from my endo. I wonder if the variety of time frames has to do with the amount of radiation used? The nuclear medicine doctor also told me protocols and dosages vary from region to region in the country, based on natural exposure to iodine. For example, those of us in the midwest do not eat as much seafood as, say, someone in New England.

At any rate, please do call, if for no other reason than your own peace of mind. Make sure your OB/GYN is in the loop, too.

As someone who went through years of infertility treatments and miscarriages before having my only child, congrats!

Charisse

Old 12-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Okay, a Radiologist friend of mine gave me a link to read but it is based on a study of pregnancies that occured 1 to 2 years after RAI........excellent study and showed no pattern of any problem afterward but it did not elaborate on under 1 year so the study really does not help......he said they will stick to an "at your own risk " if it is under the time they told you.

You have to make your own decision but I would proceed with the pregnancy , have an ultrasound and maybe an amnio (remember there is a risk of misscarriage with amnio). See a High Risk OB or RE........

I have a dear friend who during college x ray rotation found out she was pregnant....they tried to encourage her to have an abortion due to the high amount of x ray she was exposed to.....the protection was pretty poor back then 33 years ago. She stuck it out.......we all worried and felt maybe she shouldnt have risked it.... and she had a healthy baby boy..He is a healthy young man now....... So like I said it is your decision but keep in mind miracles do happen and that baby sounds like a miracle....

Let us know what you find out...........Oleander

Closed Thread