It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Just started 50mcg of Levothroid, need help with symptoms asap!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-01-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
    johnette93
    (female)

johnette93 HB User
    Just started 50mcg of Levothroid, need help with symptoms asap!

Hello all-

I posted previously about how I am about 5 weeks pregnant and got a TSH of 4.05. This is pretty usual for me but I am concerned about the health of my little parasite. Pre-pregnancy I had been on Armour, which didn't do a thing for me and drove my FT4 waaay down. So, my doc switched me to Levothroid which I ignore until I got my most recent reading.

Today is my 5th day on the Levothroid. Since starting it I have had insomnia, brain "zaps", dizziness, night sweats and dry mouth. All of these have been off and on. At the same time, I am also tapering off 50 mg of Zoloft under a psychiatrist's care. We are doing this faster than I have ever done it before- only 10 days total for going off the meds. So I am not sure if the symptoms are from the Levothroid or going off the Zoloft.

In looking at Levothroid as the possible culprit- Would starting off at 50 mcg be too much? Should I start at 25 mcg instead? Would I see over-medication symptoms after only 5 days?

Thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: Just started 50mcg of Levothroid, need help with symptoms asap!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnette93 View Post
    In looking at Levothroid as the possible culprit- Would starting off at 50 mcg be too much? Should I start at 25 mcg instead? Would I see over-medication symptoms after only 5 days?
    You could drop the dose to 25 mcgs at first and then after a week or two start taking 50. Some people react strongly when starting medication even on a fairly low dose - then it's probably not "real" HyperT, just a bit of a shock to one's system.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 12-01-2008 at 12:08 PM.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

No 50 mcgs should not be too much given you were on Armour and you are pregnant. I am betting it is standard withdrawl issues due to the antidepressant. Many have migraines and severe brain pains, shakes, chills, jitters and more when you pull off of them rapidly.

How is your body temperature?
    Heart rate and Blood pressure?
    Appetite?

These are more common stress points that become an issue with too much T4/T3 in the system. Pregnancy hormones are also going to drive you over the bend as well. Were you tested fir Hashimoto's/Graves to make sure you have NO placenta crossing antibody interference going on? Having the AI forms will change the care you and your fetus should recieve for an optimal outcome.

MG

Old 12-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
    MathTeach1
    (female)

MathTeach1 HB User

I've not had experience with Levothroid, but I have weaned off an antidepressant a few years ago.

What you're describing is very similar to what I went through - just add a couple of nights waking up with hallucinations. You are weaning very quickly, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the lack of Zoloft.

Good luck, and be sure to keep talking with your doctor, especially if the symptoms increase in severity.

Charisse

Closed Thread