It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Had parathyroidectomy over 2 months ago....still don't feel "normal"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
    kly1171
    (female)

kly1171 HB User
    Had parathyroidectomy over 2 months ago....still don't feel "normal"

Had parathyroidectomy the end of September 08. The Doctor removed just one gland. PTH and Calcium levels went back to normal, but I developed hungry bone syndrome. Doctor told me this sometimes happens after parathyroid surgery. I took calcium supplements and it's better. I've noticed my anxiety has been worse since surgery. Also, my heart goes through spurts of beating faster. Especially at night time. Some days I am absoutely wiped out, and other days I feel "normal" (whatever that is). I don't know what to be feeling after surgery or how long it will take until I feel back to myself. I see my surgeon next week. I just wanted to see if there was anyone else feeling this way after surgery. I was told by a couple of Doctors that I would feel 10years younger! Hasn't happened yet! Am I expecting too much too soon?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User
    Re: Had parathyroidectomy over 2 months ago....still don't feel "normal"

Can't really answer, as I have no experience, but have read on another website that alot of people do feel better within days or weeks of surgery. But I can imagine some symptoms would take longer. There are a few people on this board that are experienced with parathyroid issues, and hopefully they'll chime in and help you. Can I ask what your symptoms were before surgery, and are those of the same symptoms you're still experiencing?

Old 12-02-2008, 03:56 AM   #3
    tygwyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tygwyn HB User
    Re: Had parathyroidectomy over 2 months ago....still don't feel "normal"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kly1171 View Post
    Had parathyroidectomy the end of September 08. The Doctor removed just one gland. PTH and Calcium levels went back to normal, but I developed hungry bone syndrome. Doctor told me this sometimes happens after parathyroid surgery. I took calcium supplements and it's better. I've noticed my anxiety has been worse since surgery. Also, my heart goes through spurts of beating faster. Especially at night time. Some days I am absoutely wiped out, and other days I feel "normal" (whatever that is). I don't know what to be feeling after surgery or how long it will take until I feel back to myself. I see my surgeon next week. I just wanted to see if there was anyone else feeling this way after surgery. I was told by a couple of Doctors that I would feel 10years younger! Hasn't happened yet! Am I expecting too much too soon?

I had a total thyroidectomy 2 years ago and during that Op they also removed one parathyroid as it was swollen. My calcium levels are still a bit up and down...I definitely feel I need to get it checked again actually. Anxiety has always been a problem for me since my thyroid started playing up and I certainly believe that my calcium levels play a part in it too.

Whats hungry bone syndrome?

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
    Adrenal Fatigue
    180mg NTH
    28mg HC
    2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Closed Thread