It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Has anyone had hives with tapazole?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
    smith316
    (female)

smith316 HB User
    Question Has anyone had hives with tapazole?

Hi, I was just diagnosed hyper and graves. Had thyroid uptake and scan today, dr. said my blood tests from last week (1st visit) were really high, he wanted me to do RAI, but put me on tapazole to get my levels down first (haven't really decided wheather to go RAI or meds). Dr. told me about liver problems but said the bigger problem is a rash with this medication. Has anyone taken tapazole and had a rash or hives? How many people have taken it and had no reactions?
    Thanks
    smith316

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
    MathTeach1
    (female)

MathTeach1 HB User
    Re: Has anyone had hives with tapazole?

I had no reaction with tapazole, other than some canker sores that I'm not 100% sure were connected. I don't remember my doctor mentioning hives; she warned me about liver issues and low white blood cell counts. Be sure to watch for a sore throat that feel like strep - if this occurs, get thee to the doctor pronto!

Seriously, give the meds four to six weeks, and you'll feel much better. It was like night and day for me. I honestly didn't realize how bad I felt until I started feeling better.

As for RAI, I just had it on Friday, so no opinion as of yet. You'll have to ask me again in another six to eight weeks.

Charisse

Last edited by MathTeach1; 12-01-2008 at 06:37 PM.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

My Aunt had the rash it was a side effect of L-carnitine loss. She has to supplement L-carnitine with her tapazole to keep the rash at bay. Has your MD tested your Carnitine levels?

MG

Old 12-03-2008, 01:56 AM   #4
    vh90453
    Veteran
    (female)

vh90453 HB User

I was on neomercazole, (same thing) for 1 year. I developed an acne type rash on my lower back and was losing lots of hair for about the last 5 months while on it. I went into remission, my skin cleared, and my hair grew back. Give the meds a try first, you might go into remission and not have to make the decision to have the RAI. Good luck.

Closed Thread