It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Dr. Arem Author of The Thyroid Solution

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Dr. Arem Author of The Thyroid Solution

Has anyone on this board been treated by Dr. Arem , author of The Thyroid Solution? If so, could you tell us was he able to help you? Is he a nice doctor, does he listen to you?
    I live in the Pacific Northwest. I cannot find any MD who seems to look at thyroid treatment the way that Dr. Arem does. I am so impressed by his book and how he recommends hypothyroid should be treated. I am thinking about going to see Dr. Arem (in TX)since 2 yrs. of treatment with t4 have helped only minimally. Also I could not tolerate cytomel. I would like to try slow release t3 but finding a dr. to script this is proving so difficult. I did visit two alternative health professionals-naturopaths and was soooo disappointed with their knowledge base. Dr. Arem seems to tackle not only the thyroid situation but also looking at how our female hormones interact, as well as nutritional supplements and exercise. It is this comprehensive approach and understanding of hypothyroidism that I cannot find .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Dr. Arem Author of The Thyroid Solution

There is a member here whom I won't name (because I think that's what she would prefer) who has seen him and not been at all pleased. He is very expensive and takes no insurance, requires you to use his lab even though your insurer may cover costs at another lab, and treats according to TSH only even when T3 is used [major mistake in treatment]. He kept her undermedicated and hypothyroid. The last I heard, she was considering letting another MD take over her case.

Edit to say... If you're considering traveling some distance, look up Dr. John Lowe. This is not a recommendation, per se. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by midwest1; 12-11-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I have traveled out of State several times to Doctors who were highly recommended as Top Endos......I was disappointed. I have not seen this Doctor but I believe there have been 2 posts here where people were disapointed. Talk to others who have seen this Doctor before making the trip.

I love my Endo and feel he is Top Notch on Thyroid but he is out of the Country right now... know how frustrating it is to find a good Doctor since I have been to about 8 before I hit the jackpot with this one.

Are you in Washington?

Oleander

Last edited by moderator2; 12-12-2008 at 04:07 PM.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:32 PM   #4
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Midwest-I really appreciate your comments. I will do a search on the board for Arem and see what I turn up. But, things don't sound that great. Yes, I called his office and they confirmed that about the insurance. I was hoping that if I did see him, that I would just come with my labs and that would suffice. I will look up Dr. Lowe. Just seems like none of these unconventional thinkers are in my area.
    Oleander-I am in Washington state. Got any ideas?

Last edited by moderator2; 12-12-2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: if a word is blocked, then it is disallowed - please edit your post to remove it.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes my brother is a Pharmacist manager of a large retail pharmacy near Tacoma Seattle area and I can ask him if he has any happy thyroid med customers who like their Docs....I will ask........Oleander

Old 12-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Larry Stonesifer in Federal Way Washington.......do some research on this guy....people seem very satisfied with him.......but you never know. You just never know...

I flew to Houston, then to Springfield Missouri, I have seen a total of 8 Doctors about my thyroid and I have been the happiest with one that is one hour from me right here.........so you never know....... hope this helps in some way.......

O

Old 12-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Oleander-thank you for your checking. I will look into Dr. Stonesifer in Federal Way. I will let you know what happens with that. You are fortunate to have ended up finding dr. right so close to home--after such an exhaustive and no doubt expensive effort.It is a tough go when you just keep trying and it doesn't work , of course you begin to think things are just never going to be ok again. With your success in mind, I will keep on with this effort. Again, thanks for the lead and I will see what I can find out.
    Oleander-could you refresh my memory? What is your thyroid diagnosis/history and what medication are you on?

Last edited by osteoblast; 12-13-2008 at 12:36 PM.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

Since you are asking.... A good doctor in San Antonio, Texas... anyone???? Or somewhere near by.... one who REALLY listens!!!

Thanks and happy holidays!!!

Last edited by tired47; 12-13-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

After 7 years of symptoms I have finally been diagnoised with Hashi's and hypothyroidism....I have a multinodular goiter ( 4 dominant ones) and when a nodule showed up on a CT scan for my heart everyone finally took notice that it was not " all in my head". I have been on medication for 2 years now. I am on Armour 2 Grains in AM and 2 Grains in PM along with Cytomel in afternoon. My labs never fell into abnormal range but will not rise very much even on meds.. I have never had antibodies but my Endo is convinced I have Hashis.

I was on Thyrolar 2 and LOVED it but it has a Lactose base as Synthroid does and I have a true milk allergy so they put me back on Armour. I felt better on thyrolar 2 than Armour.

My Mother had her thyroid out for thyroid cancer when she was 48 so several Doctors wanted mine out ASAP.... I am trying to hold on to my gland as long as it is safe. So far so good.....I do not want mine out unless I have too.

I have been to 3 Endo's, an ENT surgeon, Cardiologist, Vascular Surgeon, Holistic MD, Family Doctor so far over my thyroid. The Vascular Surgeon and my Icelandic Endo have been the most right on so far......I absolutely hated my ENT surgeon he was such a JERK.....but thank God......I hated him so much I cancelled my scheduled TT. If not for him I would have had my thyroid out over a year ago.... he won the Horse's A-- award in my book

So there is my history of my journey through thyroidville..........Oleander

Old 12-15-2008, 10:09 AM   #10
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

Oleander,
    So you have never had abnormal thyroid labs and negative antibodies?? Wow, so glad you are finally diagosed and hopefully feeling better now.
    My labs are borderline low and negative antibodies... but I have all the symptoms of Hashimotos.
    And I wish I had never left them take half my thyroid out ( for large benign nodules)... to late now. The other half has many small nodules which I am hoping never grow. Good luck and Happy holidays to you!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 06:40 AM   #11
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tired,

yes when my nodules showed up in a CT scan for my heart everyone stood at attention......I was like??????? I have been telling you for years something is wrong. I had a multinodular goiter and it was missed. So then the journey started for me to find the right Doctor.

But mostly this Board is where I learned the most information and got the support I needed.

I have decided to keep my thyroid.....at times I hope I have made the right decision......I hope there is nothing scary growing in there.

Oleander

Old 12-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #12
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

Oleander,
    Just an opinion... but I wish I had NEVER had 1/2 my thyroid out. I have had nothing but problems since that time. And when I went to my Gyn/yearly appt the new dr. ( old one left) said she has a multinodular goiter- I could see it on her neck. She said she will NOT let them take it out, doing suppression therapy, other methods first. Good advice to late for me, but not for others.

It has taken me 2 years -4 endos, lots of other drs too many to mention to even get them to put me on 50mcg of sythyroid " to only suppress the nodules" on the other side. I have soooooooo many symptoms which I never had before thyroid surgery/ perfectly healthy all my life. Drs. still regard as perimenopause/anxiety issues. And to that I again say... "Wow, isn't that incredible I never had any problems til post thyroid lobectomy!!!!!!"
    Cheers!!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:22 PM   #13
    mskmal
    (female)

mskmal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tired47 View Post
    Since you are asking.... A good doctor in San Antonio, Texas... anyone???? Or somewhere near by.... one who REALLY listens!!!

Thanks and happy holidays!!!
    Tired,
    have you heard of Carlos Menendez? If you haven't respond back and I will tell you about him..

Old 12-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #14
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

Mskmal,
    No I have not heard of him.... please tell me . Thanks.
    Tired47

Last edited by tired47; 12-18-2008 at 08:27 AM.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:32 AM   #15
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I can personally say that Virgina Mason in Seattle has a very nice endocrinologist department. I don't personally live in Washington state however the state i live in doesn't have the extensive sophisticated machines that they have there and was referred by my doctor. I was very pleased with my thyroid care and the 1:1 with the doctor.

Closed Thread