It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid/Colloid Cyst concerns

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
    jaimejb77
    (female)

jaimejb77 HB User
    Thyroid/Colloid Cyst concerns

Hi, I'm new to this board and I need all the help I can get. I felt a small knot on my thyroid and the dr sent me to have a sono and also ran some blood tests. The sono came back saying that it was a colloid cyst that was less than 1cm. My doctor says that those are not harmful and are very normal. He says he does not recommend further testing or removal. Please let me know if you think he is correct or if I should get further testing by an endocronologist. My blood test results were TSH 1.41 (Range= 0.30-4.00), FREE T4 1.16 (Range= 0.80-1.80), FREE T3 3.0 (Range= 2.3-4.2). He said these were normal as well. But, I feel like I have symptoms of hypothyroid. Please give me your opinoins...thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
    fancee_face71
    (female)

fancee_face71 HB User
    Smile Re: Thyroid/Colloid Cyst concerns

Just bumping your post back to the top. Im sure someone will eventually respond who can shed some light on your concerns.

I would recommend seeing an Endo for sure! Maybe you can share some of your symptoms...that may help others who read your post.

My TSH is 0.28 I feel horrible (fatigued) if I'm above 1...not sure what the "ideal" number is. Im sure it varies for everyone (but I've been known to be wrong)!

Hope someone comes along and helps ya a little bit. I know its a relief to hear other peoples stories...you don't feel so alone.

There are many eduated people on this site that can definitely help you with those blood test results!

Good Luck!
    ~Fancee~

Old 12-14-2008, 03:40 AM   #3
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
    Re: Thyroid/Colloid Cyst concerns

I know how terrifying it is to find a lump. Anywhere. The first thing that crosses a person's mind is cancer.

Your doctor is correct in that colloid cysts are fairly common. Thyroids are made up of colloid cells. In fact, more people are walking the face of this earth with at least one colloid cyst in their thyroid than aren't. They just don't know it. A colloid cyst of less than one centimeter is what's known as an "incidental finding" and is usually ignored by the doctors. It's hard for a patient to ignore.

With your thyroid hormone levels where they are, I would first look elsewhere for a cause of your symptoms. Keep the thyroid on the back burner and have a recheck of your levels in about 6 mos and a repeat u/s on the nodule within the next year to make sure it hasn't changed.

Were there any other clues in the rest of your lab work? What about anemia or something like that? Many disorders share the same symptoms of hypothyroidism. Perhaps if you provide some more info, someone here can help point you in the right direction. You're welcome to pick our brains.

Closed Thread