It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hurtle Cell Carcinoma

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
    djbpaints
    (female)

djbpaints HB User
    Hurtle Cell Carcinoma

Hello all!

I am new to the board and first of wanted to say Hello!

I have a few questions about Hurtle Cell and looking for others that have been diagnosed with Hurtle Cell and their stories. I know that limited research and information is available on Hurtle Cell Cancinoma patients.

A quick over view of my story:

Had an US in 2006 (March) b/c my Mid-wife noticed an enlarged thyroid lobe in my neck. It was ultra sounded and the biopsied with clean results.

After 3 years and some personal issues I asked my new Primary Care Doctor to get me in for some Thyroid testing and explained that I had already had an ultra sound, etc, etc. But I suspected some changes in size.

I was scheduled with a Enco. for an ultra sound and same day Biopsy. My results came back undetermined and was referred to a ENT surgeon for removal of the nodule as a precautionary measure and for further testing.

My ENT surgeon did the surgery just over a week ago. He looked at my Lymph Nodes and said they looked normal during the first surgery but is going to probe further this time. During my follow up appointment he read my results from the pathology on the lobe removed.

It came back as Hurlte Cell Carcinoma, T2, size 3.4 CM. No known spreading to the lymph nodes. I am scheduled for removable of the other side and follow up with I-131 in about 6 weeks later.

Anyone else have other similar or Hurtle Cell stories to share?

The information that is available is varied. Any long term survivors of Hurtle Cell here? What about invasion of other tissues (Lymph Nodes, etc)

Thank you very much!
    Jess

I will beat THIS!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Hurtle Cell Carcinoma

Welcome to the board....so sorry about your diagnosis.

I had pappillary about 4 years ago, and it's not a fun road to go down, but soon you will be done with this, and as good as new.....

Hurthle usually responds well to treatment---you just want to make sure it hasn't spread. I know a woman in Canada personally that had hurthle a few years before my diagnosis, and she's doing fine. Just make sure you get a good doctor with thyroid cancer experience to follow you over the next few years.

If you do a search you will find some here who have had hurthle.

Keep your great attitude, and just go one step at a time---once you finish your surgery, you've pretty much beaten the cancer, now you are just making sure it doesn't return---not fun, but worth the effort.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
    djbpaints
    (female)

djbpaints HB User

Thank you Reece for the quick reply. I am very encouraged by everyones stories.

I know I am in the middle of the battle now. The next few months will be hard and trying. But I have faith and I am STRONG. Believe me I'm ready to get through all of this and feel "normal" again.

Thank you for your insight and kind words.

I will have to probe further into this board and look for older posts on Hurtle Cell Cancinoma.

My head just spins sometimes!

Thank you very much

Jess

I will beat THIS!

Last edited by djbpaints; 12-18-2008 at 06:31 PM.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
    soccerschu8
    (female)

soccerschu8 HB User

I don't know if you are still checking this thread, but I am going in for a partial thyroidectomy next month because of an indeterminent pathology report after a FNA. What did your pathology report say?

Closed Thread