It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Always hungry

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-18-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
    GLS379
    (female)

GLS379 HB User
    Always hungry

I've been feeling like this for a few months and thought I would ask if anyone knew what my symptoms are. I have an appointment with a doctor (I'm a new patient there), but my appointment isn't until mid-January bc I'm not deathly ill and they are only seeing people who are extremely ill with the flu, strep throat, ect and I don't trust going to a walk-in clinic since I've had bad experiences there.

Anywho, I am constantly hungry and it's usually worse in the morning and early afternoon. I literally have to eat within 30 minutes of waking up or I feel extremely shaky and weak. I have no idea how many calories I consume in a day but it's a lot . For breakfast I usually eat a bowl of cereal, a banana, a full glass of OJ, and a Jimmy Deal egg breakfast sandwich and not even two hours later I'm starving. I eat protein at every meal since it helps fill me up better than carbs. I also don't drink a lot of soda and primarily have juices, milk, or drink vitamin waters.

I've always had a pretty fast metabolism but the past few months it's been really bad where if I don't snack every 2-3 hours I get jittery, my hands will shake, and I feel off. I'm 5'3, 120 lbs so I'm not over or underweight for my size and I haven't felt fatigued or anything like that. It's just frustrating to feel like this and of course a blood exam would help diagnose me but I have to wait until January.

Anyone had similar symptoms? Could this be a sign of hyperthyroidism?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
    tygwyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tygwyn HB User
    Re: Always hungry

Yes I have this too...I am extremely hungry constantly at the moment - its been going on for about 6 months I guess.

I havent really looked into the reason for it yet as I'm currently getting stabilised on Armour...but my suggestion to you would be to looko at Hypoglycemia aswell as the possibility of hyperthyroid

Good luck!

Rach

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GLS379 View Post
    I've been feeling like this for a few months and thought I would ask if anyone knew what my symptoms are. I have an appointment with a doctor (I'm a new patient there), but my appointment isn't until mid-January bc I'm not deathly ill and they are only seeing people who are extremely ill with the flu, strep throat, ect and I don't trust going to a walk-in clinic since I've had bad experiences there.

Anywho, I am constantly hungry and it's usually worse in the morning and early afternoon. I literally have to eat within 30 minutes of waking up or I feel extremely shaky and weak. I have no idea how many calories I consume in a day but it's a lot . For breakfast I usually eat a bowl of cereal, a banana, a full glass of OJ, and a Jimmy Deal egg breakfast sandwich and not even two hours later I'm starving. I eat protein at every meal since it helps fill me up better than carbs. I also don't drink a lot of soda and primarily have juices, milk, or drink vitamin waters.

I've always had a pretty fast metabolism but the past few months it's been really bad where if I don't snack every 2-3 hours I get jittery, my hands will shake, and I feel off. I'm 5'3, 120 lbs so I'm not over or underweight for my size and I haven't felt fatigued or anything like that. It's just frustrating to feel like this and of course a blood exam would help diagnose me but I have to wait until January.

Anyone had similar symptoms? Could this be a sign of hyperthyroidism?

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
    Adrenal Fatigue
    180mg NTH
    28mg HC
    2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 12-19-2008, 08:21 AM   #3
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

I have a huge appetite. I'm hyperT and diabetic. Both can cause hunger. I've been hyper longer and I thought the appetite was big then. You outta see me now.

You'll need your thyroid hormone levels checked and your glucose levels checked. As Rach pointed out, hypoglycemia is a possibility but so is hyper or diabetes.

Good luck with your appointment. It's sometimes hard to believe how long people have to wait.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
    echoes02
    (female)

echoes02 HB User

I'm always hungry and always eating too. Have just been put on Tapazole. Haven't lost my appetite, but have been feeling nauseus, weak, feel like I have the flue. I understand it takes about 6 weeks for the pills to start working, but I sure hope I don't feel these side effects for that long.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

yes! The hunger is a BIG hyper thing. I remember eating like every hour, I was starving! I remember going to a party and standing at the buffet table and eating like a horse. It was during the time I was having tests and stuff to see if I truly was hyper.(I knew it). I had lost some weight off my already small frame and people must have thought I was a bulemic or something. This goes away after you're on meds and then you will gain if you continue that....You will probably gain anyway, at least 5 pounds at least. When I'm more in the hypo ranges, I hardly have an appetite at all! Your metabolism is all sped up with hyper so you burn off the calories. Some gals would LOVE this but it feels like hell when you're truly hyper,everything goes too fast...your heart, your bowels, your thinking etc...Do you have other symptoms? The shaking hands is a classic symptom too.

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 12-19-2008 at 01:19 PM.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
    GLS379
    (female)

GLS379 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GravesGirl73 View Post
    yes! The hunger is a BIG hyper thing. I remember eating like every hour, I was starving! I remember going to a party and standing at the buffet table and eating like a horse. It was during the time I was having tests and stuff to see if I truly was hyper.(I knew it). I had lost some weight off my already small frame and people must have thought I was a bulemic or something. This goes away after you're on meds and then you will gain if you continue that....You will probably gain anyway, at least 5 pounds at least. When I'm more in the hypo ranges, I hardly have an appetite at all! Your metabolism is all sped up with hyper so you burn off the calories. Some gals would LOVE this but it feels like hell when you're truly hyper,everything goes too fast...your heart, your bowels, your thinking etc...Do you have other symptoms? The shaking hands is a classic symptom too.
    I have heart palpitations that I've started getting about 4 months ago but I don't know if that's because of a medicine I'm on (Lexapro). I didn't have them until I went on that medicine. I'm a pretty anxious person to begin with but I get paranoid if I don't have a snack with me incase I get an "attack".

I've noticed that when I do eat, it helps calm me down so I think a lot of my "anxiousness" is psychological rather than physical.

I don't really have any other symptoms except a huge appetite where I hardly ever feel full with shaky hands and sometimes dizzyness.

I know with hyperthyroidism your hair can fall out, you can be fatigued, or you can lose weight which haven't happened to me, but then again you don't have to exhibit all of the symptoms in order to have it.

Do they make you fast in order to test your thyroid or blood sugar? I get really faint if I get blood drawn especially without having food in my system and was wondering if there was "any" other way to get tested without having to fast.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:10 AM   #7
    vh90453
    Veteran
    (female)

vh90453 HB User

Heart palpitations, shaky hands, anxiousness and a huge appetite are all symptoms of hyper. I didn't lose my hair from the graves but I was losing it from the meds I took. I lost heaps of weight but not everyone does. I had a friend also diagnosed with graves and she gained weight from constantly eating, she went to the Doc with a rash, he took one look at it and suspected hyper straight away. Fatigue is not a symptom of hyper it's a symptom of hypo. Hypers have more energy and trouble sleeping. Other symptoms of hyper include heat intolerance, nervousness, frequent BMs, hair, skin and nail problems. Of course you don't necessarily get a lot of symptoms, I had the works, but mine was severe. No you don't have to fast for the thyroid blood test but I think you will find you do for the glucose test. Sounds like hyperthyroidism to me.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:51 AM   #8
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

Yes, VH is right..sounds like it to me too,and you don't have to fast.I had a mild case and it affected my heart(racing) my sleep, my bowels,my mood(sometimes over-reactive),my nails,they wouldn't grow right, they would just split all the time. I have kind of fine hair anyway but never noticed hair falling out, it kind of lost it's body though. You still might be in the lab ranges and still feel hyper if they're near the top of the range,although not as bad.The symptoms can come and go,mine did at first.Then,boom,I couldn't ignore it anymore. It's good you're going to get blood tests.The heart thing was the worst thing for me.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:56 PM   #9
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

There could be many causes for your constantly huge appetite. In my case i felt hungry all the time and could virtually out eat any of the males at work. I constantly thought about food. I never really put on any weight and simply put it down to a super fast metabolism.

After being diagnosed with my Hashimoto's my doctor ran a stool analysis test and it worked out that my pancrease was not producing sufficient enzymes and i wasn't digesting protein foods all that well. He also ran a metabolic test and of all things my metabolism was slow!! I was shocked. I asked why then wasn't i the size of a house and he said i wasn't abosorbing nutrients due to my digestive issue. So basically i was more or less malnourished and the reason i was always hungry.

Now that i've been on prescription digestive enzymes i've noticed i remain 'full' for far longer than ever before and my iron storage (ferretin) is rising faster than before. I'm not bloated the way i used to get after even small meals. So in my personal case i believe it was malabsorption issues. Every so often i will get shaky hands and desperately needing food, but this would be lower blood sugar levels i believe. It doesn't occur daily or weekly, no pattern, just at random and i've had this from my 20's onwards and i don't worry about it as it's not that often that i feel i need to seek help. I'm just happy i'm not eating myself out of house an home any longer

Closed Thread