It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Feeling really discouraged

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-29-2008, 11:57 PM   #1
    one2wonder
    (female)

one2wonder HB User
    Unhappy Feeling really discouraged

I am sorry for posting so much right now. I am just feeling really discouraged about this whole thyroid thing as many of you are too. I am so tired. I guess I am just in need of some good thoughts and support right now from people who understand and know what it's like. If anyone could give me some encouragment I would appreciate it.

I know I have to keep fighting. My inspiration has been my mom. She has a different autoimmune disorder (RA). I have watched her keep going no matter how crappy she feels. There have been many times where she could barely walk, but kept going. I hate to "dump" on her as she has her own stuff to deal with. Please send some good "ju ju" my way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
    memawof3
    (female)

memawof3 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Feeling really discouraged

Quote:
    Originally Posted by one2wonder View Post
    I am sorry for posting so much right now. I am just feeling really discouraged about this whole thyroid thing as many of you are too. I am so tired. I guess I am just in need of some good thoughts and support right now from people who understand and know what it's like. If anyone could give me some encouragment I would appreciate it.

I know I have to keep fighting. My inspiration has been my mom. She has a different autoimmune disorder (RA). I have watched her keep going no matter how crappy she feels. There have been many times where she could barely walk, but kept going. I hate to "dump" on her as she has her own stuff to deal with. Please send some good "ju ju" my way.
    i dont know all the problems your facing right now?
    but, iam sure we all are troubled by something on here!
    iam haveing a heck of a time with my meds right now..
    cant seem to get adjusted..
    on synthroid 112mcg, but have alot of pain in my legs...
    i wish i gould feel better, thats my goal for the new year, just to feel better than i di right now...
    iam sure theres others on here that want the same thing as me..
    iam trying to be hopeful,,,
    hope you get better too!
    bren

Old 12-31-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
    Re: Feeling really discouraged

Do not apologize ......this board was my entire life when I first found out I had thyroid nodules....I was totally freaked out.....I mean who can you talk to that will understand all of this????? this board saved my sanity and helped me to make good decisions. Keep posting. O

Old 12-31-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
    one2wonder
    (female)

one2wonder HB User

Thanks...this board has helped so much. It helps to know that there are others out there who know what I am talking about and don't just tell me I need more sleep, hand cream, etc.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
    radar44
    (female)

radar44 HB User

We have all been there, so feel free to bring it on! I know when I was having a state of hyperT (b/c of too much meds), I thought I would punch the next person who said: "Oh, you can eat twenty times a day and not gain weight? Wow, I'm going to start taking too much thyroid hormone." It is so hard for even the closest friends and family to really understand where you are, so you can always talk to the boards! They've been very valuable to me too.

I have found that my mental attitude is a big deciding factor for how I feel. Every morning I wake up in a pit that I have to pull myself out of so I can get on with my life. You just have to believe that things will be better soon and you have to keep fighting. There is no giving up allowed!

Old 01-01-2009, 02:29 AM   #6
    BubblyRo
    (female)

BubblyRo HB User

I am in the same exact boat of discouragement right now. No one understands, it is like pulling teeth to get a doctor to listen to you, I want to help myself but I don't even have the energy to get out of bed. On top of all of that, I am on this ice with my job because of missing so much work due to the fatigue...which doctors will not give me a note for, which would excuse me and keep me from getting fired. I don't understand how it all got to this point. I have tried so hard to be a strong person, not feel sorry for myself, and try to make myself lead as normal of a life as possible, but I am all out of energy and strength. It isn't fair, because I rarely complain about how horrible I am feeling, and when I do make note of it, people think I am being some kind of drama queen. I don't have anyone to talk to about this, because no one understands. At this point in my life I am supposed to be having fun, should have finished school long ago (still haven't been able to go back), and should just be enjoying life in general. Instead I feel completely crappy most of the time and am probably now about to be unemployed in an economy with no jobs.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
    cossette2
    Veteran
    (female)

cossette2 HB User

These thyroid problems are the pits!! We're here for you One2wonder!
    This board has been a tremendous blessing to me as well. Sometimes I wish my friends and family could see my insides and see just what I feel. Face it, unless you've been there (which all of us on the board have to one degree or another) they just don't get it.

Sometimes I try to explain it to them. I'll say something like: "it feels like i'm pulling a 150 lb dog around with me that just refuses to move." I know that sounds really silly, but it comes really close to how i feel physically. And let's talk about that awful brain fog!!! groan!!

So keep on posting One2wonder. I'll be praying for you too.
    Hang in there! We're all in this together!

Last edited by cossette2; 01-01-2009 at 08:33 AM.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
    PandaBear777
    (female)

PandaBear777 HB User

Six months ago I had no idea.
    I have a very demanding job - no calling in unless your dead or in the hospital. I had to fight like hell with my Distict Manager the first of this year - I was home in bed with the worst Bronchitis I'd had in 15 years. I was coughing up blood and he sent me an email telling me I had to get to work because someone quit and I'm the manager. At that point I wrote the Vice President of our region - Oh and that was with at Doctor's note.

Six months ago I was falling asleep at my desk, even started nodding off mid-conversation with people. I started out looking for vitamin deficiencies...yea, I saw the Doc - he said sinus infection. I've had enough of those to know it wasn't sinuses. I convinced him to check my electrolytes - everything was "within normal range". A phrase I've come to hate - I reject it. I had already started on a B Comples vitamin which helped my fatigue - not completely, but helped me make it through a day at work and crash at home afterward.

Now I want to see all results myself. And then it's homework time. This computer has been a great resource! including these boards.

Still learning and still struggling to understand it all.

Don't give up. Stay on the boards. Keep your ears open to those around you - I've been surprised at all the people I know that have thyroid issues too.
    I've been able to talk to them too.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
    melissa1873
    (female)

melissa1873 HB User

pandabear777 & one2wonder...I'm in the same boat kinda. I went months feeling like complete crap but lately I've been feeling better. I have endo appt on 8th of Jan for diagnosed nodules after having most my thyroid removed in my late teens (20 years ago) Without going into too much detail, I went to a few Dr appts describing my symptoms when I was at my worst and the reaction I got was "your blood tests are fine..go home" basically. How discouraging. I remember thinking to myself "must I really live the rest of my life feeling this way"? You're not alone and it is with the help of this site that I remain strong. I'm a grown woman and a pretty tough one at that, however I'm bringing my mommy to endo appt in a few days ;-) My mom knows what I've been going thru and will make sure the doc listens to me. Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by melissa1873; 01-01-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
    one2wonder
    (female)

one2wonder HB User

I want to thank everyone for their kind words. It really helps. I am determined to get well.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #11
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User

I've been feeling the same way lately. My endo only goes by tsh and ignores my symptoms and lowered my dose last summer because she thought my tsh was too low. I knew that would be a mistake, and it was. I've been going downhill since. I have no energy to even pretend to be perky or happy and I'm tired of my family and friends making me feel bad for complaining once in a while or for not feeling well.

I see my endo Jan. 15 and can't wait to tell her how awful I've been feeling. If she doesn't act like she cares, I'm changing doctors. I can't go another year feeling like crap and wasting my life away.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
    merciescross
    (female)

merciescross HB User

Does anyone know any natural remedies for Hypothyroid? I have been suffering terribly. Sleeping 15 hours a day and feeling terrible fatique. I have heard about an over the counter remedy called Raw thyroid, has anyone heard of this? I also heard Selenium, Kelp, and magnesium help..any one have any insight?? I need help so badly.I am tired of feeling sick and TIRED! No one understands not even my sig. other! Everyone ask why I am so lazy all of a sudden and they tell me I was never lazy before.( they think I got lazy when I retired, but I didn't, I got SICK.It has been a year since I got sick, and actually the illness facilitated my decision to retire early..but they don't understand it is not laziness..it is extreme fatigue.I am so discouraged.I have my first endro, appointment Feb. 12th. My primary care Dr. 'fooled' around with my blood test coming back low thyroid for a year. 3 out of 4 test came back low, finally he writes a referral to see an endro.
    Thanks for any input.I am new here. And I'm at my wits end!

Old 01-06-2009, 04:39 AM   #13
    melissa1873
    (female)

melissa1873 HB User

Merciescross...sorry to hear about your predicament. You will find alot of similiar stories to your own on this site and you'll also find support. All I can say is that if your endo or pcp ignores your symptoms, its time to find one that wont. You shouldnt have to live your retired life feeling that way. Keep pursuing until you feel better! Keep us updated and good luck.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:08 AM   #14
    searich
    Inactive
    (male)

searich HB User

Thanks...this board has helped so much.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:27 AM   #15
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

One2wonder,

I hate you are feeling blue. Our blasted PAINS in the neck never give us a break.. unless they are dead.. THEN we have to deal with the MD pain in the backsides. Feel free to unload and rant and wallow at leisure. I am not a big wallower myself. I tend to get angry instead. I think it has to do with my high levels of estrogen and testosterone.. that can cause a woman to be a bit volatile. SO I channel my anger into getting to the heart of my issues and making the MDs listen to me. I have asked a few when they last cleaned their ears out..

SOme things that help? Well when I can not get the meds I need and am doing all I can with supplements, diet, and exercise.. I let my imagination so the walking. Most of my MDs are not sterling specimens. The MDon'ts that have given me the most trouble get sent on mental adventures in my head. My favorite is to imagine them repelling down a very tall building naked. You can up that one by being above them and holding clippers to the rope. Rolling them in honey and dumping them near a pack of bears is another wonderful mental exercise... AND.. well I will reserve some for later.

DO not let that tiny little gland in your throat ruin your life. Keep put one foot foward. As long as you do not give up you will get where you need to be even if the path wanders a bit. I am sending you my best wishes and one last bit of advice. Kicking a tree, car, wall, or any other hard object instead of your MD may result in the need for a visit to another MD. I broke my foot on a tree trying to restrain my temper... so don't take it out on our natural O2 factories either!

If I have a bad day my martial arts partners know it. Tai Chi and martial arts help me focus myself as well. Then there is my peeve log. i have a journal where I right down everything that has annoyed me during the day. I then try and force it from my mind, because I can go back to it later with out worrying about forgetting the incident. Some days the things that set me off are quite amusing. My border collie and his bad gas tops the absurd list. I know he can not help it, but he doesn't have to sit by me, rip one, and walk off! At least he acts guilty and hangs his head about it. My hubby is not so polite. Is it a male thing?

MG

Closed Thread