It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board

  • Hashimoto's with thyroid numbers that aren't too "bad"?

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 01-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
    Juliel85
    Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Location: Rochester, NY
    Posts: 62
    Juliel85 HB User
    Hashimoto's with thyroid numbers that aren't too "bad"?

    My thyroid numbers aren't terrible...first test said TSH 5.1...5 months later it is now 4.0. That isn't too far off from the 3.0 high end of the reference range. My Free Thyroid was 1.1 , which is within normal per Dr. Tests did show some signs of inflammation in my body and I have had extreme fatigue and weakness for years. Dr. mentioned Hashimoto's, but is this really possible with lab numbers that aren't *that* off?

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 01-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Jun 2007
    Location: ny
    Posts: 408
    namelessme HB User
    Re: Hashimoto's with thyroid numbers that aren't too "bad"?

    Sure it's possible. It's probably quite common.

    My own TSH was in the 3-3.5ish range, yet I have Hashimoto's. You need to get your thyroid antibodies tested to check if you have Hashi's.

     
    Old 01-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2006
    Posts: 1,491
    k2626 HB User
    Re: Hashimoto's with thyroid numbers that aren't too "bad"?

    Does hashis always show in the antibody test?

    I am wondering if I could have it based off my symptoms and labs. My TSH is all over from 4.8 down to 3.0 up to 3.8, within a yrs time. My high reverse t was VERY high, but t3/4 was normal. Antiobodies were normal too. My weight flucuates by maybe 7 pds either up or down, but I average around 105 pds. Some days I am tired, otherwise I am more on edge. Also my Alk Phos was low

    I have shooting burning pains, extreme joint cracking, twitching of muscles, buzzing in foot (time to time). All neuro exams, emg and labs fine so far

    Last edited by k2626; 01-10-2009 at 06:09 PM.

     
    Old 01-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Jun 2007
    Location: ny
    Posts: 408
    namelessme HB User
    Re: Hashimoto's with thyroid numbers that aren't too "bad"?

    You can have Hashimoto's without antibodies. Antibodies fluctuate too. I think the definitive diagnosis is via a biopsy, but without a nodule to biopsy, that isn't normally done. An ultrasound may be useful just so you can have an idea how your thyroid is doing.

    But you sound like you have some sort of thyroid problem regardless. A TSH of 3-4.8 isn't really normal. And your T3/T4 may be within the 'normal' ranges from the lab, but be suboptimal. You may wish to post your lab values and maybe some thyroid people here will evaluate them for you.

     
    Old 01-11-2009, 04:18 AM   #5
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Aug 2007
    Location: Finland
    Posts: 3,354
    FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: Hashimoto's with thyroid numbers that aren't too "bad"?

    You can have Hashi's with absolutely normal thyroid levels too. It can be a slow process for the thyroiditis to destroy the thyroid and the person to go HypoT. One can have a "silent thyroiditis" when those antibodies are just slightly high.

     
    Old 01-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
    scinamon
    Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jun 2003
    Posts: 58
    scinamon HB User
    Re: Hashimoto's with thyroid numbers that aren't too "bad"?

    My TSH was 5.35. I have had my symptoms for a few years before I found the right doctor. He tested for thyroid antbodies and guess what close to 3000! That explains all my symptoms.

     
    Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: Oak Ridge
    Posts: 6,705
    mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Hashimoto's with thyroid numbers that aren't too "bad"?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2626 View Post
    Does hashis always show in the antibody test?

    I am wondering if I could have it based off my symptoms and labs. My TSH is all over from 4.8 down to 3.0 up to 3.8, within a yrs time. My high reverse t was VERY high, but t3/4 was normal. Antiobodies were normal too. My weight flucuates by maybe 7 pds either up or down, but I average around 105 pds. Some days I am tired, otherwise I am more on edge. Also my Alk Phos was low

    I have shooting burning pains, extreme joint cracking, twitching of muscles, buzzing in foot (time to time). All neuro exams, emg and labs fine so far
    The antibody tests have an 80% chance of being detected in a patient suffering from Hashimoto's. There is a 20% chance of getting a false negative result in the TPOAb test. The TGAb cross confirmation test is only 60% accurate in identifying Hashimoto's. Some patients have both, others just one, others none. The 100% identifier of Hashimoto's is the signature thyroid tissue destruction resulting from the antibody attack on the thyroid tissue.

    Hashimoto's patients often do not excessively high TSH levels but are still hypothyroid symptomatically. Antibodies in HT patients have been documented to suppress TSH function. As a result the A A C E lowered the TSH normal range for HT patients to 0.35-2.0. Studies show HT patients with a TSH of 2 or greater benefit from some thyroid supplementation.

    MG
    __________________
    If we learn by our mistakes, I am working on one hell of an education.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Adderall makes me happy..that's a"bad" thing? hunter2 ADD / ADHD 18 05-23-2009 02:12 AM
    Blurred Central Vision HELLASRULES Eye & Vision 37 04-23-2007 06:01 AM
    Why am I so attracted to "Bad Boys"??? greeneyes100 Relationship Health 32 09-01-2005 04:19 AM
    Do girls go for mostly "bad boys" or "Nice guys" i cant get over this. Please insight kdes Relationship Health 6 03-30-2005 03:28 PM
    "Bad"manic episodes instead of "good" Paet Bipolar Disorder 22 08-05-2004 07:05 PM
    Chocolate--- and other "bad" foods that seem so good. movingrightalong Herpes 14 01-09-2004 01:51 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:59 PM.





    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!