It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hashimoto's with thyroid numbers that aren't too "bad"?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
    Juliel85
    (female)

Juliel85 HB User
    Hashimoto's with thyroid numbers that aren't too "bad"?

My thyroid numbers aren't terrible...first test said TSH 5.1...5 months later it is now 4.0. That isn't too far off from the 3.0 high end of the reference range. My Free Thyroid was 1.1 , which is within normal per Dr. Tests did show some signs of inflammation in my body and I have had extreme fatigue and weakness for years. Dr. mentioned Hashimoto's, but is this really possible with lab numbers that aren't *that* off?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User
    Re: Hashimoto's with thyroid numbers that aren't too "bad"?

Sure it's possible. It's probably quite common.

My own TSH was in the 3-3.5ish range, yet I have Hashimoto's. You need to get your thyroid antibodies tested to check if you have Hashi's.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Does hashis always show in the antibody test?

I am wondering if I could have it based off my symptoms and labs. My TSH is all over from 4.8 down to 3.0 up to 3.8, within a yrs time. My high reverse t was VERY high, but t3/4 was normal. Antiobodies were normal too. My weight flucuates by maybe 7 pds either up or down, but I average around 105 pds. Some days I am tired, otherwise I am more on edge. Also my Alk Phos was low

I have shooting burning pains, extreme joint cracking, twitching of muscles, buzzing in foot (time to time). All neuro exams, emg and labs fine so far

Last edited by k2626; 01-10-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User

You can have Hashimoto's without antibodies. Antibodies fluctuate too. I think the definitive diagnosis is via a biopsy, but without a nodule to biopsy, that isn't normally done. An ultrasound may be useful just so you can have an idea how your thyroid is doing.

But you sound like you have some sort of thyroid problem regardless. A TSH of 3-4.8 isn't really normal. And your T3/T4 may be within the 'normal' ranges from the lab, but be suboptimal. You may wish to post your lab values and maybe some thyroid people here will evaluate them for you.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:18 AM   #5
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

You can have Hashi's with absolutely normal thyroid levels too. It can be a slow process for the thyroiditis to destroy the thyroid and the person to go HypoT. One can have a "silent thyroiditis" when those antibodies are just slightly high.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
    scinamon
    (female)

scinamon HB User

My TSH was 5.35. I have had my symptoms for a few years before I found the right doctor. He tested for thyroid antbodies and guess what close to 3000! That explains all my symptoms.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2626 View Post
    Does hashis always show in the antibody test?

I am wondering if I could have it based off my symptoms and labs. My TSH is all over from 4.8 down to 3.0 up to 3.8, within a yrs time. My high reverse t was VERY high, but t3/4 was normal. Antiobodies were normal too. My weight flucuates by maybe 7 pds either up or down, but I average around 105 pds. Some days I am tired, otherwise I am more on edge. Also my Alk Phos was low

I have shooting burning pains, extreme joint cracking, twitching of muscles, buzzing in foot (time to time). All neuro exams, emg and labs fine so far
    The antibody tests have an 80% chance of being detected in a patient suffering from Hashimoto's. There is a 20% chance of getting a false negative result in the TPOAb test. The TGAb cross confirmation test is only 60% accurate in identifying Hashimoto's. Some patients have both, others just one, others none. The 100% identifier of Hashimoto's is the signature thyroid tissue destruction resulting from the antibody attack on the thyroid tissue.

Hashimoto's patients often do not excessively high TSH levels but are still hypothyroid symptomatically. Antibodies in HT patients have been documented to suppress TSH function. As a result the A A C E lowered the TSH normal range for HT patients to 0.35-2.0. Studies show HT patients with a TSH of 2 or greater benefit from some thyroid supplementation.

MG

Closed Thread