It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Adding Cytomel, long list of labs~CONFUSED

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2009, 05:35 AM   #1
    smalltowngirlusa
    (female)

smalltowngirlusa HB User
    Adding Cytomel, long list of labs~CONFUSED

I am a 40 year old female. I was diagnosed with
    hypothyroidism in 1993. I literally told the Dr. I thought I was
    DYING. I honestly felt terrible. He did thyroid labs and called me
    immediately and told me to start Synthroid: Here is a history of
    the labs and tests I've had:

Diag. Hypothroid 1993
    Diag. Fibromyalgia 2003 (by Rheumotologist)
    2002 TSH 2.96 100mcg Levothyroxine
    2003 TSH 4.05
    6/2006 TSH 3.832
    8/2006 TSH 2.806 Increased to 112 mcg Levo
    8/7 TSH 5.688 Start 125mcg
    11/7 TSH 1.727 125mcg Levo
    T3F 2.9 (2.4-4.5)
    T4F 1.30 (0.75-2.00)
    TPO Ab >1300 (0-60)
    Hashi's Dx 11/07
    US Thyroid 12/7 negative results
    start 150mcg 12/2007
    1/16/2008
    TSH 0.99
    Free T3 3.1
    6/2008
    T3 F 2.5
    T4 F 1.15
    TSH 3.089
    AB 1241.6
    start 175 mcg Levo
    8/2008
    TSH .143
    T4F 1.39
    ab 875.5
    10/08
    T3 Total 105.8 (60-181)
    T3 Free 3.1
    T4 Free 1.56
    TSH 0.089
    anti TPO 687.7
    (all lab values are the same as the first parameters listed)

My PA left me on 175mcg of Levothyroxine after the Oct. labs because
    the Free numbers were not quite in the middle. I had labs done last
    Friday and here are the current numbers:

TSH 0.233
    Free T3 2.9
    Free T4 1.22
    Anti TPO anti 530

WHY is my TSH going UP and the Free's going down? I cried most of
    the day Monday when I got these. I feel awful. I have terrible brain fog, joint
    and muscle aches, constant headaches. OH, and weight gain! TERRIBLE
    since we started increasing the medication!! I FEEL hypo.
    In seeing my PA yesterday to discuss these labs she was at first going to cut my Levo down to 150mcg and leave it at that. I pointed out the TSH actually had come UP and the Free T's went down. I told her I wanted to try Cytomel. She agreed to this. She said we'd do 25mcg, I thought that was WAY too much to start with and told her from my research and knowing my Dad takes 5mcg with 250mcg Levo I'd rather start at 5mcg. She told me they don't make 5mcg. I told her I was quite sure they did, she got a book and told me we were both right. They DO make 5mcg put it not typically used or started out with. SO, she told me to compromise with her and take 12.5mcg a day. I 'm decreasing my Levo by 25mcg down to 150mcg. Do you think this is TOO much Cytomel to start with. I'm TERRIFIED. ANY advice or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. SORRY this is so long, thought the more info I could give you the better picture you could see!
    Blessing to all~~
    Tracy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: Adding Cytomel, long list of labs~CONFUSED

12,5 mcgs is quite a lot to start with but it can work for someone. I would suggest starting with 5 (or even 2,5). Dropping your T4 dose by 25 mcgs may make you go from bad to worse (your FT4 is not that high so if I was in your shoes I'd keep my 175 mcgs of T4) - if you do choose to drop the dose try 12,5 mcgs at first if possible (and it's possible you later find you need to return to 175 mcgs or start taking even more).

Old 01-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
    smalltowngirlusa
    (female)

smalltowngirlusa HB User

THANKS so much for the input! I did take the 12.5 mcg. Today was the second day. I am not having ANY hyper feeling what so ever. I think my head is a little bit clearer. A headache I've had for about two weeks straight is about gone. I have not taken anything for it today and prior I was taking aspirin and motrin pretty much aroudn the clock. I was wondering about dropping the Levo, I guess with blood work in 4 weeks that a good thing. I DON'T want to get worse. Oh gosh, I've been there way too long! I'll be watching things carefully! THANKS again! I've been peeking in all day to see if someone wrote to me. It was like getting a CHRISTMAS present when I saw I had a response. Blessings to you!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
    12,5 mcgs is quite a lot to start with but it can work for someone. I would suggest starting with 5 (or even 2,5). Dropping your T4 dose by 25 mcgs may make you go from bad to worse (your FT4 is not that high so if I was in your shoes I'd keep my 175 mcgs of T4) - if you do choose to drop the dose try 12,5 mcgs at first if possible (and it's possible you later find you need to return to 175 mcgs or start taking even more).

Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smalltowngirlusa View Post
    It was like getting a CHRISTMAS present when I saw I had a response. Blessings to you!
    And you I'm glad I could help (can't keep my mouth shut when T3 supplements are concerned - T3 has helped to get my life back and I've been on it for 3 years)

Last edited by FinnMaid; 01-29-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:27 AM   #5
    smalltowngirlusa
    (female)

smalltowngirlusa HB User

Do you take Cytomel as well or something different with T3 like Armour? I just think of how terrible I have felt for SOOO long and this DOES give me HOPE! THANKS again!

Old 01-30-2009, 05:57 AM   #6
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Do you take Cytomel as well or something different with T3 like Armour?
    I take Liothyronin which is basically the same as Cytomel. It only comes in 20 mcg tablets and I originally started with 5 mcgs then raised to 10 mcgs and slowly but surely that already made a huge difference . Didn't drop my T4 at all (although my doc told me to drop) which was the right move for me.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:01 AM   #7
    smalltowngirlusa
    (female)

smalltowngirlusa HB User

That's so interesting, THANKS! How long do you think it took before you notice some kind of difference?? I DID drop in Levo by 25mcg, I'm glad I have bloodwork donein 4 weeks because I have a sneaking suspicion it WILL need go to back up where it was, 175mcg. Do you take T3 once or twice a day. I just took day three of 12.5mcg, hopefully it continues to go smoothly. It is SOOO helpful to hear from people who have "been there" I truly appreciate your time!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
    I take Liothyronin which is basically the same as Cytomel. It only comes in 20 mcg tablets and I originally started with 5 mcgs then raised to 10 mcgs and slowly but surely that already made a huge difference . Didn't drop my T4 at all (although my doc told me to drop) which was the right move for me.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    How long do you think it took before you notice some kind of difference?? I DID drop in Levo by 25mcg, I'm glad I have bloodwork donein 4 weeks because I have a sneaking suspicion it WILL need go to back up where it was, 175mcg. Do you take T3 once or twice a day.
    Well I noticed something from the very first day I started it My eyes would stay open - I couldn't close them if I tried when just the day before I had to try my hardest to keep them open And I felt like there was cold blood running through my veins in my forearms and my skin felt cold - and the soles of my feet completely "froze up" (after a couple of nights I was so sick of it my boyfriend stuffed hot water bottles in my socks ) These weird symptoms subsided after a couple of weeks to come up again in a milder form when I upped the dose. I had slept real bad for months so I was sleep deprived and it took full 6 weeks for me to really start to sleep properly. The brain fog also slowly went away (a part of it was due to the sleep deprivation). But yes - I was totally transformed after a couple of months - from a shaky brain fogged zombie to a pretty normal person I've had to adjust my doses several times since then but during the last year I've been able to pretty much stay at these same doses.

It sure is a good thing you have your labs taken so soon - it's no use staying on too low a dose. Usually one needs to have both their free T's at least around midrange or above it (I need to have them at the very high end of the range or even slightly above it) and at the same level compared to their ref. ranges - also with added T3 your TSH will be suppressed so you don't need to look at it at all .

I take my T3 in two stages - 20 mcg in the morning and 10 in the afternoon (I also split my T4 dose - 150 in the morning and 75 in the afternoon since with T3 a bit later I started to have too much energy in the am. to be totally wiped out by 2 pm.)

Last edited by FinnMaid; 01-30-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Closed Thread