It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• New labs along with Cortisol/cortisol stim test

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
    keystone206
    Veteran
    (female)

keystone206 HB User
    New labs along with Cortisol/cortisol stim test

Hi, I got the results today of my labs done last week by my new Endo. For some reason my TSH keeps edging up. The Dr canceled the ACTH test after it was drawn, I am not sure why, but I will ask him about it at my appt on Monday.
    Anyway, here are my results if anyone could shed some light?

Cortisol Baseline: 9.2 am 6.0 - 28
    Cortisol 60 min : 9.4

IGF - 1 190 101 - 267

T3 Free 2.9 2.0 - 3.5
    T4 Free 0.51 L .58 - 1.64
    TSH 7.31 H .34 - 5.60

Glucose 104 H 70 - 99
    Potasium 3.5 3.5 - 5.2
    Chloride 109 96 - 110
    CO2 22 22 - 29
    CA 8.9 8.5 - 10.1

These were all done fasting.
    Thanks!

Last edited by keystone206; 01-29-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
    keystone206
    Veteran
    (female)

keystone206 HB User
    Re: New labs along with Cortisol/cortisol stim test

I am thinking I should stop the Tapazole. To me it doesn't make any sense. The new endo asked why I was taking both Tapazole and syntroid, because he only has patients take both in very rare situations. Guess I will have to wait for answers till Monday.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

keystone206;
    Hi, I got the results today of my labs done last week by my new Endo. For some reason my TSH keeps edging up. The Dr canceled the ACTH test after it was drawn, I am not sure why, but I will ask him about it at my appt on Monday.
    Anyway, here are my results if anyone could shed some light?
    I will give you my 2 cents worth.

Were you stimulated for this test with ACTH? You have minimal to no rise. This would indicate a failure to respond to the demands of ACTH. You really need and ACTH run.

Cortisol Baseline: 9.2 am 6.0 - 28 You are at 14% of normal range.
    You should be around 60-80% of range at 8 am. You have low adrenal cortisol out put according to this.

Cortisol 60 min : 9.4
    15% of normal range. After the early morning hours your cortisol levels drop. In the afternoons you may be subpar. Do you get fatigued after 12 pm. Feel an unexplained desire to sleep? This can be because of low cortisol.

IGF ~ 1**** 190 ****(101 - 267) 53% of normal range. This indicates that your insulin growth rate is normal at this time and does not point toward insulin resistance.

T3 Free ******* 2.9*****( 2.0 - 3.5 ) You are 60% of normal here.
    T4 Free ******* 0.51*****(.58 - 1.64) You are in the tank here. Approximately -7%. If your MD considers this normal.. Uhhh.. I have some steel toed boots good for kicking you can borrow.

You need more T4, however if you are hypoadrenal as I suspect any added T4 coming in is going to be shuttled straight into T3 and drive you into a hyperT condition known as T3 toxicosis. The bonus is you still have the hypoT T4 which gives you the depression, mood swings, memory issues, and brain fog. I have been there and done it.. IT SUCKS!

TSH *** 7.31H ***(.34 - 5.60) This is climbing higher because of your lack in T4. I suspect you need to start a 20 mg Cortef regime before boosting thyroid meds.

Glucose **** 104 H **** (70 - 99) What was your insulin level? Did they just draw Glucose with out a companion insulin? *Grumble, grumble* This could be a sign of diabetes. You need your insulin levels as well.

OH I am not typing bad words. I use the splats as spacers to separate the lab data.

Potasium *** 3.5 *** 3.5 - 5.2
    Chloride *** 109 *** 96 - 110
    CO2 *** 22 *** 22 - 29
    Ca *** 8.9 *** 8.5 - 10.1

You potassium is 0% of normal range. Low potassium is common in hypoadrenal patients. I bet your vit D levels are low/suboptimal as well. When did you have your B12 levels checked? They may be in the can as well. The high Cl is a side effecto of low K. CO2 will climb as you regulate you K, Ca, and thyroid hormones. You Ca could stand for a little nudge up as well. You should look into a supplement that covers D, K, and Ca. I use the carmel flavored vitachews. The chocolate flavored ones have a REAL nasty after taste.

It looks to me that you have an adrenal issue on top of your thyroid issue. You will need to get that under control before your thyroid levels get in balance and you can optimally medicate them. It took 3 months on 20 mg Cortef to regulate my T4 to T3 conversion imbalance.

MG

Old 01-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
    keystone206
    Veteran
    (female)

keystone206 HB User

MG, Thank-you thank-you and thank-you! I will always take two cents from you

Yes, I was injected with the ACTH, they almost injected me before the baseline draw, but I stopped them, grrrr! I was po'd yesterday when I got my results and saw the the Doc had canceled the ACTH after it had been drawn and sent to Mayo. The test itself was supposed to start at 9, but of course didn't begin until 10, darn hospitals!
    I am not sure what part my schedule might play in my levels, but I get up at about 3:45 in the morning to arrive at work at 6 am. I am tired in the afternoons though, yes.

No glucose was drawn, so I will grumble along with you. I am certain my Vit D is low, it was low in the summer months and I was taking D. The last time I had my B checked it was fine, sorry I dont have those results. In July my CO2 and CL was off and the Endo that I am no longer seeing mentioned acidosis, but then never followed up on it. Thanks for the good explantaion on the CO2, CL and potassium! I will go and get the suppliments you speak of, I know which ones you are talking about, and thanks for the advice on the flavor, I happen to love carmel!
    Anyway, I am looking forward to my appointment and to what this new Doc has to say about all of this.
    Thanks again MG!

Closed Thread