It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• New labs hot off the presses..advice?????? Going back in this week to go over labs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2009, 04:36 AM   #1
    one2wonder
    (female)

one2wonder HB User
    Exclamation New labs hot off the presses..advice?????? Going back in this week to go over labs

I have some new labs & don't know what to make of them... While on these labs I was on 100 mcg Synthroid and 1000 of Metformin. I posted some old labs below these new ones...It's weird to see the difference from when I was on 100 synthroid before in September. Any advice??????

February (100 Synthroid & 1000 Metformin):

TSH 1.68

FT4 1.4 (.8-1.8)

FT3 265 (230-420)

TT3 98 (60-181)

TT4 9.9 (4.8-10.4)

November (on 88mcg Synthroid, 5 mcg Cytomel twice per day, and 200 mg Prometrium 18 days per month)

TSH 0.22 (.4-4.5)
    Free T3 325 (230-420) 50.0%
    Free T4 1.2 (.8-1.8) 40.0%
    TPO AB 411

September (while on 100 mcg Synthroid only)
    TSH 0.76 (.4-4.5)
    Free T3 307 (230-420) 40.5%
    Free T4 1.7 (.8-1.8) 90.0%
    TPO AB 463

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: New labs hot off the presses..advice?????? Going back in this week to go over lab

one2wonder;

While on these labs I was on 100 mcg Synthroid and 1000 of Metformin.
    HEY! I am on 100 mcgs of synthroid and 1000 of metformin as well!

I posted some old labs below these new ones...It's weird to see the difference from when I was on 100 synthroid before in September.

TSH 1.68

FT4 1.4 (.8-1.8)

FT3 265 (230-420)

Metformin allows for better processing at a cellular level as a result you are going to use T3 with a vengence. My T3 levels were always double my T4 levels. Mine are now in balance 40 : 40.5 percent. You can not get much closer than that. It looks like you still have a conversion issue. Your T4 levels are at 60%. This is optimal in range. Your T3 levels are too low. You need a boost there. Can you get your MD to try and add the 5 mcgs of cytomel back into your regime? Right now your Ft3 levels are at 18%.. this is in the can. How do you feel?

November (on 88mcg Synthroid, 5 mcg Cytomel twice per day, and 200 mg Prometrium 18 days per month)

TSH 0.22 (.4-4.5)
    TPO AB 411

TSH 0.76 (.4-4.5)
    TPO AB 463

MG

Old 02-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
    one2wonder
    (female)

one2wonder HB User
    Re: New labs hot off the presses..advice?????? Going back in this week to go over lab

MG,

Thanks for your advice. So you think 5 of Cytomel along with the 100 of synthroid and the metformin? I had thought that the Cytomel should be dosed twice a day. If I do get just the 5 of Cytomel, what time of the day do you think I should take it?

How do you feel with being at 40 and 40.5?

I am kind of on the moody side..starting to have dry skin again and somewhat tired. Having said that, I am trying to get my house on the market so I am doing a lot of work with getting it ready. Not sure how much of a factor that is.

Last edited by one2wonder; 02-11-2009 at 04:35 AM.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

one2wonder,

At 40:40.5 I felt tired, cold, dry itchy skin, bloated, and BLAH! I was functional, but not normal. But you know that feeling i am sure.

I doubt I am at 40:40.5 now. I was on 88 mcgs when my levels came back balanced at 40%. I jumped to 100 mcgs to get into the 50-60% range of normal. I have a bit longer to wait and see where I am now. My MFM and OB want me to get to 60-80% before my husband and I try to conceive a second time. SO we are pushing things.

The thyroid hormones are slowly getting where they need to be. Taking the metformin and hydrocortisone resulted in the quickest alleviation of specific symptoms. Getting the thyroid hormones right has the biggest effect on my body temperature regulation, memory, and metabolism. The muscle aches, cramps, head aches, nausea, EXTREME fatigue, migraines, and more were alleviated by correcting my hypoglycemic diet habits, adding metformin and supplementing my hypoadrenalism.

MG

Old 02-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
    queenofbaird
    (female)

queenofbaird HB User

You have Autoimmune Thyroid (see TPO antibodies on your labs). One of the immune flares is insulin surges. The metformin is helping your blood sugar stability...hence calming down your immune system. You can have perfect labs...and if your immune system is flared up, your body won't be able to create a normal response to the thyroid hormone in the body.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by one2wonder View Post
    I have some new labs & don't know what to make of them... While on these labs I was on 100 mcg Synthroid and 1000 of Metformin. I posted some old labs below these new ones...It's weird to see the difference from when I was on 100 synthroid before in September. Any advice??????

TSH 1.68

FT4 1.4 (.8-1.8)

FT3 265 (230-420)

TT3 98 (60-181)

TT4 9.9 (4.8-10.4)

TSH 0.22 (.4-4.5)
    TPO AB 411

TSH 0.76 (.4-4.5)
    TPO AB 463

Old 02-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
    one2wonder
    (female)

one2wonder HB User

Well, I went in today. I am moving out of my area in a few months and had become frustrated with the trail of health practitioners I have seen (and stopped seeing). After going to an RE a couple of weeks ago that I had seen previously in 2002, I decided that I was going to have a NP (with a masters) who is at one of my doc's offices treat me. The RE I saw in 2002 tested my thyroid then (it was 5.00!!!) and never mentioned issues with my thyroid. Anyway, this NP who is now treating me does believe in T3 supplementation. She looked over my labs and asked what I thought. I told her I thought that I needed to keep my Synthroid at 100 and add 5 of Cytomel. She agreed!

She also thinks I would benefit from some DHEA. Any thoughts on this? Any brand better than another? When I had my DHEA Sulfate tested back in September, my results were 151 (40-325). I read that DHEA can increase estrogen. That may not be good for me as a previous doc said I am estrogen dominant. Thoughts???

She wants me to retest in a few weeks and said that if needed I will be able to add another 5 of Cytomel. On my previous post with my ranges for my totals, I think I got the ranges wrong. I will double check and repost those if needed. This NP had mentioned Armour at my last visit, but I told her today that I thought it had too much t3 and not enough t4 for what I need. Any way to know that if I ever get my FT levels where they need to be if I would ever be able to drop the metformin?

Last edited by one2wonder; 02-12-2009 at 03:56 AM.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:43 AM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Metformin is normally a life long deal. Some can drop it when diet and lack of exercise are the contributing factor to excessive weight and insulin resistance. If however you are eating responsibly and exercising and still have weight issues and need Metformin.. well you are probably going to be stuck with it. Until your thyroid levels are stable and you are at an optimal weight and eating a hypoglycemic diet I wouldn't risk dropping the Metformin.

As to adding DHEA when estrogen dominant. Hummm.. well that is a toss up. Your DHEA level was 38.9% of normal range. My MD considers 40-60% of normal range optimal. You are almost there. I would hold off on adding DHEA and instead work on the thyroid balance. When your levels get balanced the DHEA may bump up naturally.

Was the DHEA level pre-metformin? If so it may have bumped up already.

MG

Old 02-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
    one2wonder
    (female)

one2wonder HB User

Yes, the dhea test was done pre-Metformin. I wasn't considered overweight to begin with, but I have lost weight since starting thyroid treatment and now the Metformin. I started out weighing between 150-154 or so and now I am down to 140, and I am 5'5".

I think you're right, I am going to wait to add the DHEA until I see how I feel with getting myself where I need to be with the thyroid. Just so I know for future reference, do you happen to know what dosages dhea comes in? The NP had told me just to take what the bottle said. Again, I am going to wait, to see how this other stuff balances out....

Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #9
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

First congrats on the weight loss. It could be retained water loss causing that 10 pound drop. Many hypoTs that are IR as well retain water. I wish I could lose my extra 40 pounds. I am working on it.

Yes I do know. My MD tried to treat my hypoadrenalism with DHEA first..that bombed.

Okay you can have tablets that are 10 mg to 25 mg. Dosing for DHEA is tricky. According to my MD, You should start with 10 mg in the morning a day. Wait at least two weeks and look for the very blatant TOO much for you signs of oily hair and skin and acne. If 10 mg seems to do nothing after a period of 2 weeks you can boost it to 15 mg... hold for 2 weeks and wait on the symptoms.. if none arise but your still feeling Blah, you can boost to 20 mg a day. My MD does not recommend taking more than 20 mg a day. If 20 mg a days doesn't cut it.. then the adrenal cortisol and aldosterone and pregnenolone levels must be evaluated and looked into. You should call and double check the regime you plan to use with your MD. It will help in you care if you keep them in the loop and up to date on your supplement regime.

Treating adrenals is a tricky business and requires CLOSE monitoring.
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 02-12-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Closed Thread