It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid and soy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
    lpass
    (female)

lpass HB User
    Question Thyroid and soy?

Hi, what do you guys know about the effect of soy on thyroid function? It is hard to find sources I trust. Either they are very pro-soy or very anti-soy. Does anyone know about this or know where to find out more? Thanks. My husband is concerned as I am a lactose intolerant vegetarian and eat a fair amount of soy, and I have a multinodular goiter with hypothyroidism and my doctor now thinks I should have my thyroid out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: Thyroid and soy?

I've only heard bad things in connection with the thyroid and soy. I know there are many reasons for this, but also the fact that its usually genetically modified soy which is used and not pure soy. I have Hashimoto's myself.

If you have a goitre then foods which contain goitrogens isn't going to help you any, these include : rapeseed (not sure if this is canola?), cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, sweet potato, maize, lima beans, soy and pearl millet. Eating any of these foods raw is the worst thing you can do. Cooking them kills off some of the goitrogens, but not 100% but if you have a goitre already, consuming these foods in great amounts can be just one of the things which can help kill the thyroid off much faster, but obviously not the 'only' thing.

The main reason i keep soy out of my diet as much as possible is the fact that my estrogen is elevated and soy can make it elevate even more. Elevated estrogen can cause cancers of the head, neck and breast in women and in men it can lead to prostate cancer.

Not sure if you have had your iodine tested, but there are some who can't retain/absorb iodine. I'm in that category, so i'm on iodine supplements. Potassium and iodine are essential for proper thyroid maintenance.

I do know the "soy" question comes up on this board from time to time and i do recall a couple of posters mentioning which types of soy are safe and which aren't, but for me it's easiest to not add any extra soy as soy is used in virtually everything these days, from bread, cakes, biscuits to thickeners in powdered gravy, packet soups and as a thickener. It's hidden in a lot of foods where it's refered to as "vegetable oil" and it's also hidden with words like "vegetable gum".

Just seems like our foods full of wheat, soy, canola oil, sugars, preservatives and colours. no wonder so many of us have hormone issues and malabsorption issues.

Have you tried buying lactose free dairy milk? i know a few people who buy this type of milk and they dont have a problem with it and it they also like the fact they can still have dairy milk and not resort to soy or rice milk.

It feels at times as though it's a real mine field out there and you just don't know what to do for the best. Wishing you best of luck with your thyroid

Old 02-12-2009, 04:41 AM   #3
    Babs659
    (female)

Babs659 HB User

Ipass, I think you would be best to limit your soy intake. I have a good friend who is a vegetarian and ate a lot of soy. She is an avid runner, and has no family history, yet got breast cancer. The first thing her doctor told her was to cut out soy totally.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
    lpass
    (female)

lpass HB User

Thanks guys. I think I will try to just have my tofu once a week or so (I love tofu) and stop drinking soy milk, eating soy cheese, soy burgers, etc. Seems like there is good evidence it can do at least some harm. I finally came across an NIH compilation of 14 studies that showed at least some effects of soy on thyroid function. I just don't like thinking that I might have to have surgery now because of all the soy I ate for the last 9 years. I know it didn't cause the problem, I had hypothyroidism and an enlarged thyroid for at least 2 or 3 years before I was a vegetarian and eating a lot of soy. But who knows, I might have made it worse.

Closed Thread