It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• First visit with Endo doc

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User
    First visit with Endo doc

Yesterday I had my first visit with an endocrinologist. Several years ago, I went in to my GP with many symptoms...he thought it might be hypo, so did the basic testing (tsh, Ft4). I came back on the low end of normal, so he started me on a low dose (25mcg) of Levoxyl. I've been under his care for my hypo ever since, and am now up to 88mcg...but still not feeling right. Got a referral from my gyne to see this endo doc. The visit went well, I think. I liked the doctor (which is a good sign) and I felt he was much more thorough than my GP has been. He had me do the "water sip" test while he felt my thyroid...he said he could feel the "texture" of it, but said the size felt normal and he didn't feel anything unusual or abnormal. After lots of medical history questions and a run-down of my symptoms...he decided that we should do some further testing.

These are the tests he ordered up for me:

Complete Metabolic Panel (CMPP)
    VITAMIN D, 25-HYDROXY (HYD)
    FREE T4 (FRT4)
    TSH (TSH)
    CBC W/DIFF (CBCDF)
    ANTI TPO ANTIBODIES (TPOAB)
    (An order for this test will automatically be replaced by an order for Anti-Thyroid Peroxide Antibodies)

Above (in red) is exactly how it is written up on the lab order. Do these tests appear to be in line with what is normally done by an endo doc? What exactly does a Complete Metabolic Panel show? They drew 5 vials of blood from me. Does anyone know what that comment regarding the Anti-Thyroid test means?

Thanks!

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: First visit with Endo doc

nscrbug/Linda;

Yesterday I had my first visit with an endocrinologist. Several years ago, I went in to my GP with many symptoms...he thought it might be hypo, so did the basic testing (tsh, Ft4). I came back on the low end of normal, so he started me on a low dose (25mcg) of Levoxyl. I've been under his care for my hypo ever since, and am now up to 88mcg...but still not feeling right.
    This general progression does smack of hashimoto's degradation of your thyroid.

Got a referral from my gyne to see this endo doc. The visit went well, I think. I liked the doctor (which is a good sign) and I felt he was much more thorough than my GP has been. He had me do the "water sip" test while he felt my thyroid...he said he could feel the "texture" of it, but said the size felt normal and he didn't feel anything unusual or abnormal. After lots of medical history questions and a run-down of my symptoms...he decided that we should do some further testing.

Added testing never hurts. It is best to be sure of the source of your issues.

These are the tests he ordered up for me:

Complete Metabolic Panel (CMPP)
    VITAMIN D, 25-HYDROXY (HYD)
    FREE T4 (FRT4)
    TSH (TSH)
    CBC W/DIFF (CBCDF)
    ANTI TPO ANTIBODIES (TPOAB)
    (An order for this test will automatically be replaced by an order for Anti-Thyroid Peroxide Antibodies)

Above (in red) is exactly how it is written up on the lab order. Do these tests appear to be in line with what is normally done by an endo doc?
    The ones I see missing are FREE T3 and TGAb. All others are in line with a standard blood chemistry absorption profile and thyroid hormone level status check. The TPOAb is the more accurate blood test for Hashimoto's, but there is a 20% chance for a false negative result.

What exactly does a Complete Metabolic Panel show?
    This shows you common mineral level status, Ca, K, Na, Cl, P, CO2 and a few others. It is used to make sure that you do not have an electrolyte imbalance causing addition aggravation of your health. Thyroid issues when under/over treated often effect your metabolic absorption.. thus the need for this blood chemistry profile.

They drew 5 vials of blood from me.
    My record is 13, but I have Hashimoto's and Graves and hypoadrenalism on top of the hypothyroidism and associated malabsorption effects.

Does anyone know what that comment regarding the Anti-Thyroid test means?
    It is just double speak for those that do not know that TPOAb means the same as Anti-Thyroid Peroxide Antibodies. There are more than three ways to write the request for this test. If your MD requested it via older terminology the lab is just letting him know that it was done under a different name.

I hope this helps.
    MG

Old 02-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
    sparkie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sparkie HB User
    Re: First visit with Endo doc

My MD also did not order FT3 and I am puzzled about this because he stressed the importance. He did order the TSI in addition to TPO, the TSI was 80 which came as a bit of a surprise to me. Your ordered labs, with the exception of the two I just mentioned, look exactly the same as what I had. This is the most extensive testing I have had by an endo.

Closed Thread