It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• thyroid (hypothyroidism)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
    letpetit
    (female)

letpetit HB User
    thyroid (hypothyroidism)

Hi,

i had a latest test of my TSH of 8.51 and a T-4 (free) of 1.1. So my doctor is going to have me wait until 3 more months for another blood test and if it gets to 10 i'll have to go on medication. my question is that sometimes it can be a viral infection that causes this and goes back to normal. is this very common? also my doctor said i could use a kelp supplement to see if it would help. has anyone tried this and how successful was it?

the only odd thing is i don't have the symptoms of hypo. i'm energetic and don't have dry skin, or trouble losing weight. i'm also usually too hot rather than too cold and my temperature is usually 98.7. so any thoughts? this doesn't make sense to me,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: thyroid (hypothyroidism)

You need a new MD.

WAITING TO MEDICATE UNTIL YOUR TSH IS AT 10 IS JUST ARCHIAC PRACTICE!

Sorry, but it is. In the 1990's the upper normal TSH limit was set to 4.5, this was refined in 2002 to 3 and in 2006 to 2.5. YOU are hypothyroid by these standards and an MD up on these would say you need thyroid supplementation. Your symptom set smacks of Early Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

YES you can have temporary bouts of hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism, but 12.6 % of the population is suspected to have Hashimoto's. The means over 1 in 10 will become overtly irreversibly hypothyroid as a result of autoimmune attack and destruction of their thyroid. You need to make sure that your issue is with you to stay and not sit on your thumbs waiting for the lead ball to drop in your toe.

You need a COMPLETE thyroid panel run INCLUDING ANTIBODIES. You need to find out why your TSH is almost 10. Depending on these results and where you are in range you may need to look at your pituitary gland function if your thyroid function checks out as optimal in range.

You need the following tests to make sure you do not have a conversion issue or adrenal imbalance and completely rule out or confirm a thyroid issue:

TSH 3rd generation or Sensitive. - These are the most recent and accurate versions of TSH

Free T4 - your MD is doing this it is the best measure of your actual thyroxine levels given its direct measure method.

Free T3 - your MD left this one off.. many will unless you force their hand. I suspect that the 1.1 for your Ft4 was normal in range.. given your TSH level I suspect that you issue lies in a below normal FT3 level that can indicate a conversion issue and need for T3 supplementation in addition to T4 supplementation. You can not ignore your T3 levels. You need an FT3 test.

Now to determine with in 80% certainty if you have the autoimmune condition Hashimoto's killing off your thyroid you need the following tests:
    TPOAb and TGAb

Your MD should recognize these lab codes... or be able to look them up. Depending on what these tests reveal additional testing may be warranted.

Always get a copy of your lab report sent to you. Make sure you determine where you are in range and STAY on top of your own care. You can not expect your MD to manage you effectively. They have too many to manage. You have to be the manager and your MD serves and the script monkey. However your MD wanting you to wait and see for another 3 months with a TSH over 8 reminds me of a DONKEY. You need someone up on the latest thyroid care recommendations that will listen to you and treat you.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 02-12-2009 at 08:15 AM.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
    sparkie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sparkie HB User

My TSH was elevated in the 4's and within two weeks went down to 1.4. My MD believed it to be a viral thyroiditis so it can happen. I will follow-up with labs again in a month because the MD is concerned about the TSH jumping around. I agree that waiting three months is too long. I was actually energetic with a high TSH and now that it is around 1, I am feeling more tired. My temp was elevated with a the higher TSH along with elevated heart rate and raised BP. These symptoms are basically gone. You may want to have antibodies checked out.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
    letpetit
    (female)

letpetit HB User

hmm that sounds kind of like me because i'm had higher blood pressure and i'm normally in the higher temps (body tempS) but that's normal for me. but the higher blood pressure is odd for me because i'm an athlete (train 5 days a week figure skating) and so i've always had lower than normal blood pressure so i'm thinking this might have something to do with it?

Old 02-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
    sparkie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sparkie HB User

I am a distance runner and my resting hr used to be 52. After my first bout of thyroiditis three years ago it is more like 58-68, but when I had this last bout of thyroiditis a month ago it was 110 along with elevated BP. Although I am feeling better, I cannot say I ever felt back to baseline since that first bout three years ago. I am still recovering somewhat from this last bout, I do pretty well during the day but can fall asleep by 8 PM. I still get up early and work out 7 days a week. If you are not feeling back to normal in a month, I would think about contacting your MD and having your labs run again.

Closed Thread