It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Goiter

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
    ldunn522
    (female)

ldunn522 HB User
    Goiter

I've just gone throught an ACDF for 3 levels in my neck. After surgery I was notified that I had a "goiter" and to see my primary physican. Even the antistesiologist (sp?) called me one evening at home to let me know of the goiter discovery. My neurosurgeon suggested my primary send me for a thyroid blood panel and sonogram. Evidentally the panel is normal althought I have not heard that from either doctor but the nurses. I just received an order from my primary for a Thyroid Scan and Uptake (indications: goiter). I am so in the dark. Can someone fill me in on any of this. Plus I have gained 50pounds in the last 5 years NOT from over eating or not excersizing. I was one of those health freaks who had to be moving constantly because that was the only way I could stay fit and also on 800 calories a day. When I injured my neck over 5 years ago it all ended and I gained 50 pounds, still 800 calories a day ... but who would believe that? When the surgeon told me I may have hypo .... I was estatic to think there could be a method to the madness of my weight gain. She mentioned that I could lose the weight immediately if it turned out that I had hypo ... Plus I now realize I've had a lot of other symptons like hoarse and deeper voice, feeling tired all the time (even before surgery and of course thinking it was just because I was fat), like totally lethargic sometimes. My scan uptake is scheduled for the 19th when I have to take some type of pill and then back on the 20th for the actual scan. Can anyone tell me what they're actually looking for and what my prospects might be. There was a moment there I had hope now that my neck is fixed I could possibly play tennis again, lose the weight and be my fun loving energetic self again. Now I'm just starting to feel crushed all over again because the blood tests were normal.

Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Goiter

The most common cause of goiter is the gland either over- or underfunctioning. From your symptoms, it sounds as if your gland has been failing to keep up with your hormone needs for a long time. Hopefully, your new MD will find that to be true, prescribe thyroid hormone, and you'll be a new woman within a few months.

The uptake scan will determine how your gland is making use of the iodine which is the raw material from which hormone is made. It will also show the possibility of nodules.

I would not put a lot of stock in that MD's opinion that you will lose weight "immediately" once treatment is started. That isn't how it works for most hypothyroid people. You'll still have to work at it the way everyone does - maybe even harder - to get it off. Very, very few people lose it automatically once medicated.

REMOVED

Last edited by Mod08; 02-14-2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: not necessary

Old 02-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
    ldunn522
    (female)

ldunn522 HB User

[QUOTE=midwest1;3885121]The most common cause of goiter is the gland either over- or underfunctioning. From your symptoms, it sounds as if your gland has been failing to keep up with your hormone needs for a long time. Hopefully, your new MD will find that to be true, prescribe thyroid hormone, and you'll be a new woman within a few months.

The uptake scan will determine how your gland is making use of the iodine which is the raw material from which hormone is made. It will also show the possibility of nodules.

I would not put a lot of stock in that MD's opinion that you will lose weight "immediately" once treatment is started. That isn't how it works for most hypothyroid people. You'll still have to work at it the way everyone does - maybe even harder - to get it off. Very, very few people lose it automatically once medicated.

REMOVEDQUOTE]
    Dear Midwest1

Please know I **REMOVED***appreciate your reply. What you said does make sense. I certainly hope my doctor who is not an endo just a general will know of the correct treatment to rectify this for me. Believe I know losing weight immediately is a far fetched fantansy and I am so willing to work at it. When I can see some results will be a very glorious day for me. I certainly hope it starts to happen soon. Again, thank you for the info - it's been very valuable!

Lori

Last edited by Mod08; 02-14-2009 at 09:09 PM.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:08 AM   #4
    ldunn522
    (female)

ldunn522 HB User

Even if my blood panel comes back normal would they still put me on medication?

Old 02-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The thing about thyroid "panels" is that they often contain out-of-date tests that never were very good at diagnosing much. Many MDs who've never bothered to learn anything new since they were in med school decades ago still cling to those out-of-date tests. Even if they know and order the better tests, they may not order all of them and may know precious little about how to interpret them well. Still others believe the test results tell the entire story and that symptoms don't count for anything at all.

If you have a copy of those tests and results, you can post them here for ideas about whether they show something your MD has missed. You have a right to these results by law. I suggest you get a copy to see them for yourself, if it isn't a major undertaking to do so.

The best tests are a combination of TSH, free T4, free T3, and the thyroid antibodies - TPO and Tg.

Common sense red flags on the results - even when they are within the lab ranges and are thus not flagged by the lab - are any combination of these:
    TSH above 1.5 - 2
    Free T4 below the mid-mark of its range
    Free T3 below the mid-mark of its range
    Positive titer of TPO and/or Tg antibodies above 2 or so

It's quite possible that you've had a lack of sufficient thyroid function for years, and that this has allowed your gland to grow in an effort to work harder.

I do hope you'll have answers soon, and that someone will know it needs treatment. Please let us know what happens, ok?

Last edited by midwest1; 02-15-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
    ldunn522
    (female)

ldunn522 HB User

Your information has been invaluable and I will get copies of the tests and let you know what happens. Thank you so much for the well wishes, it makes such a big difference!

Old 02-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

ldunn522,
    Just wanted to wish you luck... I used to live in that area, very pretty place.

MG,
    ?? so you are saying anytime you are diagnosed with goiter you should have a uptake scan??
    I have 1/2 thyroid left- yearly ultrasound says remaining lobe is multinodular goiter. I have normal TSH, low Free T4, Low Free T3.

Finally found an endo who is giving me low dose of synthyroid to "suppress" nodule growth. Still feel like CRAP. Any advice to us in this situation on what to ask endo next appt???
    Thanks again for valuable knowledge.!!

Closed Thread