It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hypothyroidism - I have questions and need answers please!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
    deeddog
    (female)

deeddog HB User
    Hypothyroidism - I have questions and need answers please!

Hi. I have not been myself for several years... I have stuggled with depression and been in couseling put on antidepressants. After all of this I still don't feel like my old self. I have a ton of other problems too namely, no sex drive, irritability, memory loss, heavy periods, fatigue, weakness, weight gain, achey and stiff muscles & joints, dry skin, constipation just to name a few. I am not my old self and I'm sick of feeling this way. I'm 38 year old female.

Anyway, I went to see my gyno the other day for the first time in 2 years. I told him I wanted to have my hormones checked after watching oprahs shows about hormone disorders and thought that might be my problem. He asked me my sypmtoms and I told him the above. He told me the thought it might be my thyroid and said he would check my hormone levels but also wanted to do a tyhroid panel.

I recieved my results back yesterday and he referred me to an endo. Here are my results.

TSH - 5.410 (.450-4.500)
    Thyroxine (T4)- 6.6 (4.5-12.0)
    T3 Uptake - 25 (24-39)
    Free Thyroxine INdex - 1.7 (1.2-4.9)

when I got home I looked up hypothyroidism and when I saw the symtoms I thought that is me in a nutshell! I am so excited to know that there may be an answer to why I have felt so bad. I know my kids and husband are sick of me and the way I act and feel because I am sick of me!

Anyway, I was hoping if someone could tell me a little more about my results. I would also like to know what to expect from my visit with the endo. Are there any questions I need to ask him? What is the best treatment - Is one med better than the other? Are there any tips you can give me? Thanks!

gwen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Hypothyroidism - I have questions and need answers please!

Welcome to the board. I'm happy for you the diagnosis has been made. That's 50% of the battle!

Start to educate yourself about your condition. That's my main advice. Because there is sooooo much that MDs don't recognize about it. The more you know, the better treatment you will get.

Read our "Information Archive" sticky thread to see the common misconceptions MDs have and how you can overcome them if yours believes in them. Also, get a copy of Thyroid for Dummies so you will understand the basics. Would be good for you to read it before you see the endo.

Another piece of advice.... Do not automatically assume that you will have all the same problems that others on the board have in getting optimal treatment. Remember that this is primarily a forum for those who are not getting sufficient treatment from their health care providers. There are millions out there who are perfectly satisfied with their treatment. The odds that you will have a great outcome far outnumber the odds that you won't.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
    deeddog
    (female)

deeddog HB User

Thanks for your repsonse, however, I'm not sure a diagnosis has been made yet. My gyno just referred me because he said my tests were not normal. I am just excited at the thought of this might really be the answer.

Anyway, if anyone can interpet my results and tell me what they think I would appreciate it.

It is going to be awhile before my appointment and I would love to know more info before then.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

oops... My mistake... Of course you don't have a diagnosis yet. But I'm pretty sure you will, because of your test results. (They aren't the best combination of tests for thyroid on the planet, but they're conclusive enough this time.) If by chance, the MD doesn't agree, see another MD. Thyroid tests are very often a matter of interpretation, and not every MD knows the 'language'. In my mind, you're definitely hypothyroid.

Do the reading I suggested. It will teach you enough to get in the game when you see the endo.

Closed Thread