It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Grave's Disease?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
    ScarlettA
    (female)

ScarlettA HB User
    Grave's Disease?

Can someone tell me a little about Grave's Disease? What does a woman look like who has it? What are the symptoms? Especially the eyes?
    I've looked it up on the internet, but I would like to hear from someone who has actually dealt with it? I am pretty sure my daughter has it (age 50) but she has not gone to the doctor, and will not talk to me about it. Any information would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
    Re: Grave's Disease?

I was diagnosed with Graves about 3 years ago. I had a mild case. I tested positive for the antibodies. I don't have the "typical" eyes that some Graves patients have. They tend to protrude or there is a stare to them. There is usually a fast heart rate and pulse even at rest. There is a hand tremor and nervousness or agitation. Sometimes you sweat when others are not warm.You lose weight and have more b.m's. It's important if you think she has it to go to a doctor and ask for at least a tsh, a Free T 4 and a FREE T 3 test. Hope this helps. It can be a little dangerous if left untreated,as it may lead to thyroid storm. I have been on meds and am doing fine.After you go on the meds for this you feel pretty good in about 4 weeks. The symptoms go away as your high levels of thyroid hormone falls.

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 02-14-2009 at 04:10 PM.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
    ScarlettA
    (female)

ScarlettA HB User

GravesGirl - THANK YOU so much for responding to my question about Grave's Disease! Now if i can only convince my daughter to go to the doctor ASAP.
    Strange isn't it, that a 50 year old woman would be so resistant to getting a diagnosis? It's because she is convinced that she is going through menopause, and all the symptoms, including the protruding eyes, is caused by that.
    I live about 350 miles from her, so I only see her about 6 times a year. Last time was Christmas, when I first noticed her eyes. This past weekend we went to a family funeral, so I saw her there, and was pretty shocked at how bad she looked. It wasn't the time or place to confront her. I tried calling her when I got home, but she won't return my calls. I just hope that nothing bad is going to happen. What is a THYROID STORM??

Old 02-15-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

I found this on medicine.net:

There are really not many emergencies that we need to worry about regarding the thyroid gland - but thyroid storm is one of the rare exceptions.

Thyroid storm is a crisis or life-threatening condition characterized by an exaggeration of the usual physiologic response seen in hyperthyroidism. Whereas hyperthyroidism can cause symptoms such as sweating, feeling hot, palpitations and weight loss - symptoms of thyroid storm are more severe, resulting in complications such as:

* fever
    * rapid heart rate
    * nausea/vomiting
    * diarrhea
    * irregular heart beat
    * weakness
    * heart failure
    * confusion/disorientation

Fever tends to be one of the hallmarks of thyroid storm and can be as high as 105-106F. The actual diagnosis of thyroid storm is made on the basis of suspicion in patients with symptoms, and in the setting of elevated blood levels of thyroid hormones (T3 and T4). Conditions such as severe sepsis, pheochromocytoma, and malignant hyperthermia can mimic thyroid storm.

Causes of thyroid storm may include:

* discontinuing needed medications for hyperthyroidism
    * over-replacement of thyroid hormone
    * recent treatment with radioactive iodine
    * severe infection or illness, usually in a patient with hyperthyroidism
    * severe medical stressors, such as heart attack, in a patient with hyperthyroidism

Thyroid storm requires emergent treatment and hospitalization. The main treatment is to decrease the circulating thyroid hormone levels and decrease their formation. PTU and methimazole are two agents that decrease thyroid hormone synthesis and are usually prescribed in fairly high doses. To inhibit thyroid hormone release from the thyroid gland, sodium iodide, potassium iodide and/or Lugol's solution can be given. Beta blockers such as propranolol (Inderal, Inderal LA) can help to control the heart rate, and intravenous steroids may be used to help support the circulation.

Earlier in this century, the mortality of thyroid storm approached 100%. However, now, with the use of aggressive therapy as described above, the death rate from thyroid storm is less than 20%.

Maybe she doesn't realize how dangerous this can be or does she know that you think she even has Graves? maybe copy this and send it to her by mail along with signs and symptoms of Graves (google it)
    Hope she's alright. She maybe in denial.It's not that bad a disease unless it's left untreated.This has nothing to do with menopause, especially the eye part.It seems to come out at menopause though with all the hormone changes. I was about 51 when I first had symptoms.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:07 AM   #5
    vh90453
    Veteran
    (female)

vh90453 HB User

I was diagnosed with graves when I was 50. I didn't have the bulging eyes either. I think I had it for about 9months before I went to the Doctor. I blamed the heat intolerance and sweating on menopause. My daughter was getting married that year and I put all the other symptoms, weight loss, shakiness, rapid heart beat, anxiousness etc. down to feeling stressed about the wedding. GravesGirl has given you excellent info. I hope you can talk your daughter into seeing a Doctor, it's easily diagnosed with a blood test. Assure her it is not a serious or life threatening disease but can have very serious consequences if left untreated. I took meds for a year and have now been in remission for 4 years and counting. All the best.

Closed Thread