It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Does anyone take Armour along with synthetic thyroid?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
    Jelohi
    (female)

Jelohi HB User
    Does anyone take Armour along with synthetic thyroid?

I have Hashi's and I have been titrated up to a dose of 4 grains of Armour & I have been on that for 4 months now and I still feel pretty much like I did before I was even treated! At my last appointment, I asked my Doctor to test me for adrenal problems, but he said I didn't have "all the symptoms" (though I do have some). I convinced him eventually to give me lab orders to have it tested, but not until before my next appointment, in 6 months. He gave me a list of vitamins to start taking in the meantime (B5, C, D - which I am low in, and fish oil). If those don't help, I can add OTC adrenal support. I'm not sure how long I'm supposed to give the vitamins before trying the adrenal stuff, but so far nada & it's been 3 weeks.

I have some leftover Synthroid 0.25mg tablets from my previous Doc and before this latest increased dose I tried taking one of those along with my Armour and within 2 days I was feeling "hypo" & stopped. Is it possible that some people just don't respond to the Armour? Is it possible I need both?

I'm sick of feeling like crap, I have gained 10 lbs since November!

Last edited by Jelohi; 02-16-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
    Re: Does anyone take Armour along with synthetic thyroid?

Jeholi,

I just HAD to have Armour....searched high and low for a Doc that would prescribe it. They started me slowly at 1/4 grain and worked me up to 4 Grains and I never really felt much different. My labs did not change much. My heart rate was 54 when I was on 1/4grain and it is 54 now. No change or problems.

I was switched to Thyrolar2 which is made by the same people that make Armour and I was amazed how great I felt on it. It is a synthetic. But I had to be taken off because it had a Lactose base and I am allergic to milk...

I now am on Armour 3 Grain and Cytomel 25mcg and feel pretty good. Just okay. My labs are still not where they need to be.

For the first time ever I have noticed my hair thinning.....I have very long thick hair......I can tell a difference in it the last 2 months. Not sure if it is the Cytomel or not???? Big change.

I think meds work different for different people....I am not as sold on Armour now as I once was.....I think you should try different meds until you find the one that works.......

Hope that helps.......Oleander

Old 02-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
    Jelohi
    (female)

Jelohi HB User
    Re: Does anyone take Armour along with synthetic thyroid?

Thanks so much! I will make a note of that med to ask my Doc about it next time. I was so excited to find an Armour Doc too...

Closed Thread