It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Is it a need for more T3 or more Metformin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
    one2wonder
    (female)

one2wonder HB User
    Is it a need for more T3 or more Metformin?

I am still really fatigued mainly about an hour or so after I eat dinner. No other meals are like this, just dinner time. I am taking 1000mg Metformin XR, 100mcg Synthroid, and recently added 5mcg Cytomel. The Cytomel was added after the labs were done. I had posted all of my labs in another recent post, but my FT3 was 265 (230-420), and my TT3 was 98. The ranges I had listed for the TT3 I think are not correct in my original post. I had gone off of the interpretive guide for the lab I use b/c when the doc's office called with the results I had forgotten to ask the ranges for the totals. When I had gotten the labs in hand, I remember the ranges for the TT3 being different. I am suppose to get labs again in about 4-5 weeks. Anyway, I don't know what is causing the evening fatigue....IR or thyroid or both???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Is it a need for more T3 or more Metformin?

I would say both. One your T3 levels are suboptimal and that will have you dragging. It will take two weeks on the T3 to see if that will give you the boost.

Now as to the IR and reactive hypoglycemia... I get the same dinner fatigue WHEN I eat too much at once. I can not eat a normal dinner portion size. I have to graze and eat a small amount with the family at dinner. If I eat two veggies, meat and a starch.. WHOA! My body let's me feel it. How much are you eating at dinner. I have to stick to 2-4 oz of protein, 1/4 cup of veggies, a spoonful of rice or a 1/3 a potato and water to drink. If I eat much more than this.. my system enters the fatigue mode.. I get COLD.. and I sometimes get the shakes.. Shakes tend to coincide with consumption of soda. *sniff* I miss my carbonated sweet stuff.. *sniff*

MG

Old 02-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I am on Janumet 50-1000 (Metformin) twice a day . So I am taking 2000 of Metformin a day. I am taking this strictly for insulin resistance proven by 2 hour post prandial blood draw. Everyone is different but the 2nd pill made a huge difference in me....No daytime napping anymore. I can actually eat bread without gaining 5 pounds now. Thinking is clearer.

I do watch what I eat...... I never eat too many carbs at one meal..Southbeach diet book has some information on low glycemic foods.

I take Armour,Cytomel and Janumet. The Janumet made a bigger difference than my thyroid meds..but everyone is different.

Oleander

Old 02-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Thanks Oleander! Your information was helpful! I have been kicking around a request for a dosage increase to 1500 metformin. I think that is my next step. the 1000 has helped, but I feel I need more because my symptoms are creeping back in as I try to increase my activity and daily routine. Also I still can not lose weight. The hypoT tummy tub sucks.

MG

Old 02-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Try another 500 or 1000 more. It made a huge difference for me. I actually have a waist again !!! Amazing..... No day time napping anymore either. I feel much better....... Hope that helps..... Oleander

Old 02-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
    one2wonder
    (female)

one2wonder HB User

I am going to wait and see how I feel for a little while with the Cytomel added again. I have 750 metformin xr tabs from that other doc, but the NP let me go slow instead of going from 750 to 1500, going from 750 to 1000, so I take 2 metformin xr 500 tabs. Anyway, I could go from 1000 to 1250...

Last edited by one2wonder; 02-18-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

That is an option. The pharmocological data recommends going up in 500 mg increments. I went from 500 to a 1000 with only a day of back door trots. I am going to jump to 1500 this week and see how it goes. I can always halve a 500, but being on 1500 these last two days has not caused any unpleasant symptoms. My leg cramps have stopped and I can exercise more efficiently... so I am going to wait and see.

MG

Closed Thread