It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Back Again Need HELP Please??? Question??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User
    Back Again Need HELP Please??? Question??

Well it has been awhile since I have posted just trying once again to live thru all this stuff..

Just a quick recap I was still feeling really bad so decided to go out of pocket and see a dr who prescribes bio-identicals. So I went and saw her. LOVED HER! Lol... Any who, she did a bunch of testing on me becuase I told her I still am having horrid symptoms no matter what I try. So I get a call today from her telling me that she spoke with her other dr and they both want me to see an endocronologist.

She said my Testosterone level was at 114.3........ YIKES. She said it shouldn't be any higher than 14.8. And that to her it tells her something is going on with my adrenal glands.

So my question would be does anyone know what might be going on??? I am really freaked out because all I come up with is adrenal cancer!!!! I feel HORRIBLE all the time..
    My TSH is coming in at 2.59 ( a little on the high side I think for me anyways)
    FT3 3 ( she gave me no reference range though) but said it was smack in the middle

FT4 1.2 again no ranges but said it was in the middle. But from my experience it also seems a tad low still

I am currently taking 135 mcg levothyroxine PLUS 15mg Armour. Had RAI due to Graves in Feb 2007. Have never felt good since or even before the RAI.

Basically does anyone know WHY the testosterone would be so high and what the adrenals could be doing?

THANK YOU!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User
    Re: Back Again Need HELP Please??? Question??

Ok now I am really freaking out.. Ugg I need to stay away from the internet. Everything I look up says cancer of the adrenals and high testosterone. And the symptoms of cancer of the adrenals are even more scarier because I have all of them., Especially the anxiety. Now granted I haven't been battling that as much as I was when I first got sick, but it still comes back from time to time and I was just reading that one of the cancers causes anxiety as a symptom.. Uggg... Ok I am done reading the net!!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
    melissa1873
    (female)

melissa1873 HB User

First, I dont have answers to any of your questions. I do however want to know if you got an endo appt and when it is? Also, I find that "studying" on the internet and reading books about conditions is healthy if not overdone. I think its important to know what to expect and options for treatment. People who go into appt's with no knowledge of their condition are not helping their condition. So continue to study but please dont get overly concerned...look at it as a learning expedition...not something to be super frightened of. I will be thinking of you and waiting for response/diagnosis.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

ANyone?? Just looking for some ideas.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

Hi ! Just wanted to tell you -relax ( yeah easy you say).

I had hormones checked, had very high testosterone and high estrogen... it was just me. I am perimenopausal- are you close to that period in your life??

I also had low progesterone, which I was prescribed bioidentical meds and it helped balance high test/estrogen after taking it.

Just recently I had VERY high DHEAS levels, dr. said she never heard of anyone with this condition. She thinks it is lab error and is going to repeat test. Maybe yours was lab error too... a repeat test might be a good idea.

I wish you luck... this thyroid thing can really upset our bodies hormones... I read somewhere it is involved in all hormones in body... and I really believe that to be true!

An endo consult is great to rule out any serious problems and I wish you all the best of luck!!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

My testosterone and estrogen are high as well as DHEA. My cortisol and progesterone and pregnenolone and aldosterone are low. This is a side effect of PCOS. Have you been tested for PCOS? Insulin resistance can also cause issues with your testosterone and adrenal balance. i wouldn't stress quite yet.

i worried over a pituitary tumor given my high ACTH. Then adrenal tumor/atrophe. I have MDs in my family. They look into it for ma and told me in the cases of tumors adrenal or pituitary the amount of hormone produced is normal in excess of 100x normal. You are not over 10x normal. You are most likely looking at an imbalance due to one of many issues.

Take a deep breath and channel your testosterone into getting some work done. I know when my testosterone is really getting high because I develop a ME GROG complex and start going cave man. Metformin and cortisol treatment have helped suppress my inner cave man.

MG

Old 02-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

Yea I guess nothing I can do anyways until I can see my endo and get some more testing done. What is bizarre to me though is I have had pains in the area of my right ovary for many years now. And I can even reproduce the pain when I am laying down and stretch the wrong way or pull that right side almost like something is stretching where the ovary would be on that side... And one CT scan I had done maybe about a year or so ago said it showed CYSTIC changes in ovaries.. Hummm..... But when I asked the GYN when she did my pap just last month she said she didn't feel any cysts or anything?!?

So I am basically just wondering if I may have PCOS or something like that with my high testosterone reading and the ovary pains or if she could of missed something. And can she tell for sure there are no cysts there from just doing a pap????

Old 02-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

You need an uterine ultrasound. you can not confirm beyound a shadow of a doubt that you do not have the characteristic ovarian cysts OR pearling with out a UUS. Your OB was wrong to tell you what she did, but it was probably to try and allieviate some of your fears and stress.

UUS's are unpleasant, but not painful. The drink and hold 32 ounces of water on your bladder so we can prod your bladder and get good ovary images is the rough part. PCOS can be suspected via high testosterone, estrogen and DHEA levels in addition to the presence of insulin resistance, BUT only confirmed with a UUS.

MG

Old 02-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

I think I had one of those tests done a long time ago when I was pregnant. All I know is they had to do a ultrasound but from the inside.. Uggg... lol.

I know you would think with all this testosterone I would feel good I guess. Or maybe it is only for men that it makes them feel good. I dunno. Don't know much about it. But I still have the foggy headed feeling and fatigue. I HATE the fatigue and foggy head.

Also she said my thyroid labs were good. BUT to me a TSH of 2.59 ( and I am on meds) still seems a bit high. It seems I don't feel my best until my TSH falls somewhere around 1ish. I mean a 2.59 is dang near pushing 3!!! My frees don't look that bad though but I am also on armour ( a small dose) but armour none the less and isn't my TSH supposed to be suppressed on armour??

Old 02-19-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The fatigue and foggy head are very common in IR/PCOS AND hypoadrenalism. Hypothyroidism just amplifies these effects. Given your TSH I say you are being under medicated.

MG

Closed Thread