It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Herbal remedies for adrenal exhaustion?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User
    Herbal remedies for adrenal exhaustion?

I recently had a saliva test and my adrenals aren't fatigued yet, but my cortisol levels are very high. I was told if they stay at this stage too long, they will eventually burn out and turn into adrenal fatigue.

My doctor (chiropractor, so he likes natural remedies) suggested something called Adrenal Complex, which has licorice and Rehmannia. I've read though that licorice actually raises cortisol, so if mine is already too high, won't this cause more problems?

The other thing he wants me to use is Adrenal Calm cream. It has St. John's Wort, which I've read can lower the effectiveness of thyroid meds. The last ingredient is Thyroid, but I'm not sure what that really means.

So I'm a little hesitant to try these herbal remedies. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
    bittygirl
    (female)

bittygirl HB User
    Re: Herbal remedies for adrenal exhaustion?

Its good that your questioning this, I would too.
    I have been doing research on Adrenal Fatigue because I have it to except I have low cortisol. I am afraid to take any supplements for it but I am going to try Royal Maca root. I have a research artial that states that Royal Maca root will help even out all of the adrenal hormones to keep them level and also help the thyroid. Whole world botanicals on line sells it either in pill form or powder form. Maca is really not an herb its a food. Also Standard Process inc sells some adrenal mixtures in pill form that are made from pig, kinda like whats in armour thyroid. I took this for awhile and I would have to say that it did help my enegry but I didnt want to take it forever. Not sure about the long term safety use but it is good for short term use to get the slugish adrenals going. I also came across something called Adreset. Sounded ok but I was iffy on that one. From what I have studies, Maca is the best natural thing to take to help the adreanls and thyroid. Its also a good source of iron if your ferritian levels run low or if you tend to get anemia from being hypothyroid.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:59 AM   #3
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

bittygirl - you might want to have a thorough hormone check up to see whether your estrogen and pregesterone are actually balanced prior to trying Maca.

A few years ago, a naturopath tried to sell me Maca, but i was skeptical. Last night i was doing some research as my estrogen is a bit too high. I came across quite a lot of information and now i can't recall the precise information, but do recall that Maca can elevate estrogen levels, which is what you don't want. From what i recall it said it was good for menopausal women.

Some herbs are wonderful at balancing out various hormones, but some can cause elevation in estrogen, especially if your estrogen is already on the excessive side you wont want it even higher and run the risk of breast cancer.

If i can find the exact information i found last night on Maca i'll come back and post it. I just remember thinging "thank God i didn't buy that stuff".

Old 02-18-2009, 05:12 AM   #4
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

tigger67 - hormones are delicate things and it doesn't take much to cause an imbalance it seems. I'm on medicationg called Cortate to elevate my cortisol levels. I don't know whether i'd be using herbs to solely correct my adrenals as the adrenals do such a BIG job and are sort of like a little factory for all the various hormones. Personally, i'd want to be giving them the best care/medication possible.

Herbs are wonderful, but it's sort of like a double edged sword, they can help in one area, yet can cause an imbalance elsewhere.

Licorice is supposed to be good for PMS and also is believed to be able to lower estrogen levels while at the same time raising progesterone levels. Licorice root is supposed to be a restorative and a stimulant for your adrenal glands as it contains a form of cortisone-type elements similar to the adrenal hormones themselves.

On the other hand, if using Licorice root, it has to be used super carefully and by an expert as you need larger amounts of potassium if taking this herb. You also need to be careful if you have other health concerns like high blood pressure or interaction with other medication.

I've been using herbs from a naturopath to help in correcting my menstrual cycle as all my hormones were stuff up 8 years ago and the only thing doctors and gyno's told me to do was go on birth control. I refused and my last resort was a naturopath. I've been on this herbal mix for 3 years. It does help, but the moment i go off it, my menstrual cycles begin messing up again. I've only been on thyroid/adrenal treatment since May 2008 and it does take time for things to settle.

My issue now is, i've just found out that one of the herbs (Vitex/Chaste Tree) which is supposed to help regulate cycles is only supposed to be used short term, while i've been on it for 3 years. I've now found out that as my estrogen was elevated, the Vitex has likely helped build my estrogen levels even further. I now have to discuss this with the naturopath. this is the reason why, even though herbs are wonderful, if your hormones are already messed up, you have to be super careful in what you use to fix them, be it adrenal hormones, thyroid hormones or general hormones.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

How are your vit D and B12 levels. When one is too low in B12 and D they have issues converting cortisol properly. Your high cortisol levels may be due to too little D and B12. being NORMAL in range doesn't mean optimal. You should get your D, b12 and ferritin levels checked if you haven't had them done yet. I would hold off on adrenal support until you know if you have a mineral malabsorption issue. The last thing you need is to drive your cortisol levels higher.

MG

Old 02-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User

My vitamin D levels were 54 last time I had them checked. I think the range is like 32-100. I've never had my B12 or ferritin checked. My last endo told me she wouldn't check those and that I'd need my primary care doc to do that. I don't know if they would check them without giving me an exam or not.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

You still need a vit D boost.

As to getting the Ferritin and B12 checked. Call and tell your PCP that your Endo wanted any malabsorption issues to be managed by them and thus they wanted them to run a Ferritin and B12 and vit D check periodically.

Your MD shouldn't require a visit UNTIL your results are in. I suspect if you present it in that manner to the nurse you will get a slip and call to come in for what ever tests you are due.

MG

Old 02-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User

I don't really have a specific primary care doc though. I usually just go to this family practice when I have a cold and see whoever is available. So I would think if I called the receptionist, they'd say I'd need an appointment.

I need to email my chiro anyway and have him research my questions about the licorice and the cream interfering with the synthroid and see what he says.

My vit. D levels are probably a little low because I've been undermedicated for the last 6 months due to that idiot endo. My new doc has increased my synthroid back to 75mcg, so that should help raise the vit. D.

Closed Thread