It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hyperthyroid treated with Tapazole

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
    Riley0707
    (male)

Riley0707 HB User
    Hyperthyroid treated with Tapazole

My thyroid is slightly overactive so I'm on Tapazole 10mg once daily. I have constant heart burn, I'm always exhausted, I have a fast metabolism and a high appetite so I can eat anything and not gain any weight, I have insomnia, I'm really sensitive to heat, I get what I call "hot flashes" where I will periodically get really hot and start sweating, I get short of breath from just going up the stairs, and I've noticed that I have a really hard time focusing and remembering things like when I study something for school, I can't remember any of it. It's like I get a mental block preventing me from remembering. Last year I did very well in school and I didn't have any of these symptoms. I've been on tapazole for a few weeks and I haven't noticed any major differences although I have stopped having such intense "hot flashes." I'm a 19 year old male, 6 feet tall, 160 lbs, not overweight. I don't go back to my Dr. until April where he will check my blood results and see how the tapazole is doing.

I don't know if all of these symptoms are from hyperthyroidism but I need to get back to normal. These symptoms are such a huge inconvenience in my life. Any suggestions or comments?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
    Re: Hyperthyroid treated with Tapazole

Hi! Always find out what your labs are, ask for a copy. You can expect to feel better in about 6 weeks. You should go have another blood test after being on meds for 4 weeks to see if they're working. I don't know when you go in April but it may be too long to wait. Yes all your symptoms sound hyper, does your heart race too? In the beginning you should have a blood test every 6 weeks because your levels could fall and you can fall hypo..the other way, and that feels worse Sometimes the Tapazole cause stomach upset. When your dose is lowered, you should be better. The object is to get the Free T 4 to fall into normal range(the tsh which can be affected by antibodies isn't that important in the beginning year.)Then your dose is lowered till you're on a maintenence dose for about 2 years or less or more,then tests are done to see if you are in remission. It's a slow process but it can work. I have been on meds for 2 and1/2 years and am on a miniscule dose now as a little puts me hypo.If you decide meds are not for you, there are permanent treatments, surgery or RAI where you swallow radio active material and it kills the thyroid. I haven't decided to go that route. It can be hard the first year and your levels are all over the place till things settle. Before you make a decision(hope you have a good doctor) make sure you go on boards like these and find out from others how they did with each treatment.I had a mild case and have done fine on meds.

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 02-18-2009 at 12:46 PM.

Closed Thread