It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Coming Off Levothyroxine - Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
    Kiltee
    (male)

Kiltee HB User
    Coming Off Levothyroxine - Help!

I was diagnosed with autoimmune hypothyroidism last Septmber by my GP. He thought this diagnosis would explain a number of physical and mental symptoms I had been suffering from for about 8 months: dizziness, lack of concentration, physical and mental lethargy, poor digestion and constipation, irritability, depression etc. My blood results showed that I was in the early stages of hypothyroidism and as such, I was put on 50mcg Levothyroxine and told to come back every 4 weeks for T3, T4, TSH and thyroid antibody blood tests.

I did this, and my dosage was bumped up to 100mcg after the first month.

However, during that first month, I suffered some very difficult side-effects: chronic diarrhoea, disrupted sleeping and waking patterns, nausea etc. The diarrhoea and nausea passed, but overall I was feeling worse than I did before I began taking Levothyroxine.

After two months, my hair began to thin and fall out unevenly (I'm 29 with no history whatsoever of Male Pattern Baldness on either side of my family) and my lethargy remained.

After my blood test at the end of December, my GP told me to remain on 100mcg as my thyroid functions had stabilised within the normal range. I told him I was unhappy about all of the side-effects I was experiencing, and I was referred to an endocrinologist. I've now had a session with him and am waiting for full autoimmune blood chemistry results. However, he has told me to come off the Levothyroxine immediately, but hasn't suggested any alternative.

I've now been off Levothyroxine for about 2.5 weeks and feel no different whatsoever. No better, no worse; just less hairy.

Does anyone else have any negative experiences of Levothyroxine, and if so, what was the solution for you? I'd be particularly keen to hear back from anyone in the UK who has had similar problems.

Cheers!

Last edited by Kiltee; 02-18-2009 at 08:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread