It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• lowering my dosage to help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
    memawof3
    (female)

memawof3 HB User
    Smile lowering my dosage to help!

i seen my endo today, and after runing more test, he agreed that i may need to lower my synthroid from 112mcg to 100mcg, to see if this will stop the leg crams and pains..
    personally, i think it will!!!
    bren

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2009, 04:02 AM   #2
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User
    Re: lowering my dosage to help!

Hi bren,...

I know I've talked to you before, a long time back. Anyway...I am doing the same thing over here. Just lowered my Levothroid dose from 112 to 100 mcg's too. I was also taking .5 of T-3, [Cytomel]. What made me discover I was getting too much was that my chest got super tight, and I had trouble breathing too. It was scary.

So, no meds for 3 days, and I'm now on 100 mcg,s T4, and am definitely feeling much better. Bren, I was having terrible pains in my knee caps, sometimes my ankles ached really bad and sometimes my wrists just ached. Other times my lower legs just ached so bad I'd almost moan,...and would you believe it all quit hurting?? I had been hurting like that for a month or so and thinking it was from the cold and damp weather, or that I needed a HIGHER dose!

I really had no other symptoms of being hyper...isn't that strange? I am sleeping longer at night though, and less waking up after 5 hours. Wow..I am amazed. This disorder is freaky. I've been on a T4 dose as high as 137, and did okay on that for a while, and then was decreased down to 125 and was on that dose for a long time....and then when she let me add the T3, she lowered my t4 again to 112....and now that's too much.

Guess it's my high antibodies, maybe...causing these fluctuations...I wonder? The tight chest was the dead giveaway that I was over medicating. Hopefully I'll be fine at this dosage, I'm getting tired of this. It will be 6 years this July, and still not quite on a stable dose.

We'll see what happens I guess, right? I hope your pains and cramps clear up and go away. Do you take magnesium and calcium? Vitamin D?

Let me know how you feel in a couple of weeks, okay? It took me about that long to feel better. The chest pains went away within 3 days, but the other pains... around 2 weeks.

Good luck, girl!
    Deda

Last edited by Deda; 02-20-2009 at 04:02 AM.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
    memawof3
    (female)

memawof3 HB User
    Smile Re: lowering my dosage to help!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deda View Post
    Hi bren,...

I know I've talked to you before, a long time back. Anyway...I am doing the same thing over here. Just lowered my Levothroid dose from 112 to 100 mcg's too. I was also taking .5 of T-3, [Cytomel]. What made me discover I was getting too much was that my chest got super tight, and I had trouble breathing too. It was scary.

So, no meds for 3 days, and I'm now on 100 mcg,s T4, and am definitely feeling much better. Bren, I was having terrible pains in my knee caps, sometimes my ankles ached really bad and sometimes my wrists just ached. Other times my lower legs just ached so bad I'd almost moan,...and would you believe it all quit hurting?? I had been hurting like that for a month or so and thinking it was from the cold and damp weather, or that I needed a HIGHER dose!

thanks deda!!!!!
    gee i was wondering if it was all in my head, or was i going nuts!!!!
    yes, it will probly take a week or so to feel a differance iam sure..
    but, i already feel a differance in my body!
    i cant explain it, but i think you know...
    my legs dont hurt as much now, and i seem calmer somehow..
    iam sure hopeing this does the trick for me..
    i have had thyroid problems for many years!
    about 25 now..ive been hyper,goiter,hypo ect...
    its been a hard road of it..
    but iam sure hopeing this lower dose helps me...
    i was on 100 mcg of synthroid for a long time, and all of a sudden, my doc wanted to put me on levothyroxine. that did not work for me!
    caused anxiety and panic attacks for over 2 years of hell!!!!
    then seen an endo doc, put me on synthyroid 112 mcg, thats when my legs started hurting me!
    after i was on it for a couple weeks, complained many times for the last 8 months, and last week, i had enough!
    then he lowerd it to 100 mcg to see if it helps..
    i think it will!
    i sure am hopeing and praying that it will!!!
    i sure hope you get to feeling better too deda!!!!!!
    thanks!
    and yes, i will keep you posted on how i do!
    bren
    I really had no other symptoms of being hyper...isn't that strange? I am sleeping longer at night though, and less waking up after 5 hours. Wow..I am amazed. This disorder is freaky. I've been on a T4 dose as high as 137, and did okay on that for a while, and then was decreased down to 125 and was on that dose for a long time....and then when she let me add the T3, she lowered my t4 again to 112....and now that's too much.

Guess it's my high antibodies, maybe...causing these fluctuations...I wonder? The tight chest was the dead giveaway that I was over medicating. Hopefully I'll be fine at this dosage, I'm getting tired of this. It will be 6 years this July, and still not quite on a stable dose.

We'll see what happens I guess, right? I hope your pains and cramps clear up and go away. Do you take magnesium and calcium? Vitamin D?

Let me know how you feel in a couple of weeks, okay? It took me about that long to feel better. The chest pains went away within 3 days, but the other pains... around 2 weeks.

Good luck, girl!
    Deda

Old 02-22-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Best of luck with it, Bren, and I hope, [and pray too!] that you feel better soon as well. Not fun having aches and pans, is it?!

Let's "Get well soon", okay? Enough already!! Especially you...25 years now. Have you had any good long periods of feeling wellness in all of that time, bren? I would hope so.

Deda

Last edited by Deda; 02-22-2009 at 03:57 AM.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:42 AM   #5
    memawof3
    (female)

memawof3 HB User

Quote:
    Best of luck with it, Bren, and I hope, [and pray too!] that you feel better soon as well. Not fun having aches and pans, is it?!

Let's "Get well soon", okay? Enough already!! Especially you...25 years now. Have you had any good long periods of feeling wellness in all of that time, bren? I would hope so.

Deda
    thanks deda!
    yes, i have most always felt good!
    i think ill feel better in a few days with this new dosage!
    i have never had leg pains with any meds before this..
    but iam going to think positive, and hope this works out ok.
    ill keep in touch, after another week,ill reply again!
    thanks!
    bren

Old 02-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #6
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Oh, that's good to hear, bren. If you felt well for a long time, you will get there once again. Maybe 112 was just a little too much for you, and hopefully me, too. Yes...let's check back in week or so and see how we're feeling. Hopefully on our way back to feeling good again.

I think positive thinking does help.

ciao for now....

Old 02-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
    memawof3
    (female)

memawof3 HB User

Quote:
    Oh, that's good to hear, bren. If you felt well for a long time, you will get there once again. Maybe 112 was just a little too much for you, and hopefully me, too. Yes...let's check back in week or so and see how we're feeling. Hopefully on our way back to feeling good again.

I think positive thinking does help.

ciao for now....
    well, its monday deda..
    feeling alright.
    its seems like, if you have something getting out of your system, it leaves the muscles last..
    thats the only way i can think to put it, slowly leaveing your system..
    ill know more by friday iam sure..
    ill check back in then deda!!!
    have a great week!
    bren

Old 02-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
    Not Quite
    (female)

Not Quite HB User

I find this all very interesting because I was getting horrible aches but thought it was from my other meds ( see my thread "stopping meds " ) Why are the doctors and others saying there are no side effects to these thyroid meds, obviously there are!

Old 02-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

Hi All!!
    I too have horrible muscle spasms and aches at times... especially at night when I am trying to sleep. For me it gets better when-

my levels are more normal ( I had tried armour... it was disaster to my heart and had to stop meds and start over- What a nightmare, still trying to get back to my old self!!!)

and it helps greatly when I take magnesium, calcium ( not close to thyroid meds),fish oil, and vitamin C- I ran out of fish oil and did not take for 2 weeks... lots of spasms which subsided several days after resuming,

Not quite- there are side effects to all meds... and we are all so differently made.
    I have terrible insomnia with the thyroid meds... never had before... hate it.

Don't know if it will help you all but worth a try... Good luck to you all!!! I wish you the best of health!!

Last edited by tired47; 02-24-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

tired--

I had insomnia for a long, long time too after I started thyroid meds. [years] It's finally back to where I can sleep, most of the time. I think for some of us, it just takes a long while...to get regulated, and for our bodies to heal and also time to adjust, and for our bodies to get used to having a normal amount of thyroid hormone in us again.

I think at first it stimulates us so much and we can't sleep. Not everyone of course. My mother was so lucky...she never lost her hair, or had any trouble sleeping. My brother was the opposite of me, just couldn't get enough sleep. Lucky for him, he owned his own business, as he told me he had to come home and nap for a couple of hours a lot of days, as he could not stay awake. He didn't lose his hair but lost 1/2 an eyebrow.

tired...don't worry...once you get that T4 up to an ideal level [for you], those muscles will start to heal up, and those spasms will be a thing of the past. Believe me, I had them so severe, for a long time...they were horrible, but are now gone. I thought they'd never go away! I will never forget how horrible they felt and how frightened I would get sometimes. [one times my entire chest/torso tightened up, [spasmed] and I could hardly breathe. Lucky for me that one only lasted less than a minute, but it was so frightening

To not quite-- Those Dr's don't believe a lot of our symptoms [I think] because they just really don't know, and they don't have this disorder. My first appt. with my endo, almost 6 yrs ago, she asked me to tell her every symptom I had..as she was writing them all in my charts. I had dozens of them, and she wrote down every one of them. I always wondered why she never ever disputed any of them, [as a lot of ppl here say their docs tell them "that's not caused by your thyroid"]

Every time I told her of another symptom, she would just say, "don't worry,...after you get your levels right, and some time to heal, [she said 3-18 months], all of that will go away" She was right. And the other endo I saw told me the same thing. Later, at another appt. when I told her how my very high antibodies worried me, she blew them off, and said "why...I have high antibodies too" and I found out that she also has Hashi's....maybe why she always took me serious about my symptoms.

She doesn't know everything, but knows enough, [compared to some others], she's pretty darn good. I am so very grateful for her.

Hang in there you guys, it's gonna get better!!

Last edited by Deda; 02-25-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:55 AM   #11
    memawof3
    (female)

memawof3 HB User

hi deda!
    well. its been a week, and i told you i would let you know..
    iam feeling fine!!
    the leg pain is slowly going away, and my body is telling me all is well!
    i was so scared for a few days, but doing so much better now..
    i think i was on just to much....
    and a simple adjustment makes a differance!
    have a great day!
    bren

Old 02-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

memawof3,
    So great to hear you are feeling better!!! I wish you the best!

Deda,
    You had insomnia too...I hope mine does not last years!!! I feel so much better when I get a good nights sleep, almost human!!!
    I think if I get this sleep issue conquered I would have won a lot of this battle..I love my sleep and when I don't get it-- GRRRRR!

Have a great weekend all!

Old 02-28-2009, 07:01 AM   #13
    memawof3
    (female)

memawof3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tired47 View Post
    memawof3,
    So great to hear you are feeling better!!! I wish you the best!

Deda,
    You had insomnia too...I hope mine does not last years!!! I feel so much better when I get a good nights sleep, almost human!!!
    I think if I get this sleep issue conquered I would have won a lot of this battle..I love my sleep and when I don't get it-- GRRRRR!

Have a great weekend all!
    hi tired!
    iam like you, i sure need my sleep!!
    makes me feel like iam a human too!!
    i sure hope you all get better soon..
    iam feeling alright for now, iam trying to hurry spring!!!!!!!!!!
    so sick of winter..
    have a great day!
    bren

Old 03-01-2009, 04:29 AM   #14
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Memaw.. I'm so glad you're feeling better now. And you'll probably feel even better in a few more weeks. It truly does seem to take from 6-8 weeks to get all the way there, you know? I'm not feeling too bad right now, I can't really complain too much. Some soreness here and there, [like right now my ankles are aching, and I just woke up], but I'm sure as I get up and shower and start moving around [and have my 1st coffee], I'll start feeling better. A lot of mornings when I wake up, I feel stiff or crappy, but after I get going, I feel so much better. So..I can't wait to see 2 more weeks from now how we're feeling, ya know?? Should feel so much better even.

tired, and as for the sleep problems....well., some of us have real trouble with that. I don't think it was all my hypo tho. At the same time I had quit my lifelong smoking habit, and went through menopause at the same time too! I think the combination did that. But now that I'm getting all of my hormones balanced out, and 6 years now, and my body is used to NOT getting the nicotine, it's better. I still have some problems sleeping now and then, and then I take a Klonopin, and sleep well.

I have many girlfriends who are NOT hypo, and they have terrible problems sleeping too. So just hang in there, once you get it all balanced out, you should sleep better. I think 80% of feeling well with this hypothyroid problem is based on a great night's sleep,....and then exercise, diet and just total healthy living habits.

Have a great Sunday today ! [I fell asleep real early last night, [unheard of for me], so I woke at 3 this morning]. Mabye I'll finally get to church today..that's something I've been wanting to do.

Ciao,
    Deda

Old 03-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #15
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Hi...this is funny, [and rare], but remember in above post, I said I woke at 3 AM, as I had fallen asleep early the night before, so I had already slept for 6 hours? Well, I was kinda mad as I wanted to sleep more, as during the past week I was lacking in my sleep. I always say I must sleep at least 7 hours in order to feel my best, [and usually, I sleep from 6-7 hrs]

So...I took a Klonopin, and then I was on the computer for about 1.5, maybe 2 hours, [on the sofa in the living room]. My husband woke me up at 1:30 this afternoon!! lol So I slept a total of around 14-15 hours !!!! Amazing!! I NEVER do that, but I think my tiredness just all caught up with me. I have some [lucky] girlfriends] that sleep a lot, anytime they feel like it, they can sleep,..I've never been like that, but I was shocked this [afternoon] when he told me what time it was !! Now watch tonight, I probably won't be able to sleep!

Well...just had to tell you what happened as I am shocked and amazed that I did that. This was something that never happens to me, and what the heck? I don't know, but it made me so happy!

So don't give up, tired...a few years ago, I had nights when all I could sleep was an hour or two at night, [not exaturating either], and as exhausted as I would be, I still couldn't even take a nap during the day, no matter how hard I tried. So, I am just amazed and so happy today. I just have a feeling that tonight at midnight, I'll feel the way I normally feel at noon. I'll talk with ya later.

Closed Thread